Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #1206
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Bathroom Counter extension the good and the bad

TL;DR version: Counter extension looks like it will be a great benefit, however the Camco one hits the door.

Ok more details:
Stopped by the camper this morning to install the counter extension. I already knew from my test fit on Thursday that I'd have to mount it under the counter instead of flush.
Some pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-18 09.18.29.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	7835
Looks like it will work nicely when extended.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.18.41.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	7836
See how it is below the counter top.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.18.54.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	7837
Note how the support mechanism doesn't let it lay flat against the side of the cabinet. Another option here would be to rout out the countertop where the mechanism screws in so that it is recessed a little like Grgdmsn did with his hinges.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.19.09.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	7838
Fortunately I put this in a while ago because the pin mechanism wasn't holding the door closed while we drive (yeah I know: "How bad do you drive it? sheesh?" LOL). This is the strongest magnetic drawer latch I could get off Amazon--you really do have to yank the door to get it to open. You can see in this pic that I have already moved it out as far as it will go. I'll probably move the whole support there out about 1/4" so that it holds the door away from the counter extension.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.19.30.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	7839
Here is the door riding on the extension. This is why I'll be moving my magnetic stop out a bit--don't want the door adding extra stress to the flimsy paneling and pulling my screws out.

Name:	2017-11-18 09.20.54.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	7840
You can see here how the door is open just a little.

Note that our old 24.1 has the original single door instead of the two independent doors (those installations may work different).

Edit: Another thought--this one is a little more destructive, however LOL. The paneling/wall that the counter top extension is mounted to is the same as everywhere in the RV: A sandwich of two paneling pieces around some 1/2" wood boards. You could cut out the outer paneling in the shape of the shelf mechanism and screw it to the inner paneling (with the benefit that you could but some wood on the backside). This would allow the shelf to fold flat (well at least another 1/2" flatter). It would, however, make a pretty good sized hole in that paneling in the event that you decide to remove the shelf.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum