Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #16
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Not that I was referring to the Tesla semi's powertrain as a possible motorhome propulsión system, or about drag racing at all, but the Tesla semi has incredible (projected) specs that may attract the interest of a billionaire or two.

0-60 MPH of tractor in 5 seconds

0-60 MPH loaded in 20 seconds

Climb 5% grade at 65 versus typical 45 MPH for diesel

With an estimate of 500-mile range, they claim an 80% charge good for 400 more miles in 30 minutes. You could drive all morning, stop for a lunch break while recharging, and then drive all afternoon before arriving at next campground.

I wasn't thinking of an electric motorhome, but for those $500,000 to $1,000,000 rigs, how far off can it be? Additional cost for an electric semi with 80,000-pound GCWR is less than $100,000. A rig in the 40,000-pound GCWR would need much less battery capacity, and may also need less than 500-mile maximum range. With 80% recharge in 30 minutes, I'd bet most of us could live with 300 to 400 mile range as long as charging stations are available.

In any case I digress, because I see this lithium battery technology first replacing (or augmenting) generators with quiet and clean power for "house" electricity. An electric motorhome may happen someday, but it's too expensive to justify in mass because motorhomes don't get driven 100,000 miles per year as diesel semis do.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum