Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobia13 View Post
One last question . I know the car must be in neutral . Do you start the car after 6 hours .
Doesn't matter either way. My thought is that the car should be in neutral simply because hills, bridges, dips, etc. will change the angle between the dolly and the car necessitating that the front wheels turn.

We've taken a few trips with the car in neutral and, yes we had to start it or the battery would be dead. Check your owner's manual, though, because I think the MKZ has a neutral tow feature that lets you completely shut off the car in neutral (instead of the dash complaining "put in park" for 600 miles).
Page 255: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...CA_03_2016.pdf

Having said all that, however: We took a trip this past summer that was 1500 miles. For the entire trip I left the C-Max in park and off. Didn't have a single issue with the dolly, or the straps. (My speculation is that there is enough play in the transmission and gearing that it doesn't matter--that or the tires simply slip inside the straps.) I do check the straps every stop--sometimes even making a specific stop to check the setup.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum