Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 12:51 AM   #58
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
My 2008 Gold Wing is just about 102 inches long. However I suspect RVs are all wider than 102 inches if the mirrors and awnings are included in the width.

I don't think it's simply the weight of a large motorcycle attached to the back of a motor home, it's the fact that it is attached so far behind the rear axle. And of course in addition to the weight of the motorcycle is the weight of the lift or carrier.

Large multi horse trailers load at an angle and if toy haulers did the same for one motorcycle, RVs would have more useable floor space.
The 102" width limit doesn't include mirrors, so wide-body motorhomes have been in that range for years. I honestly don't know whether awning is included. If we allow for doors on either side of garage, it couldn't be more than about 100". Your idea of loading bike at angle could help.

Another option would be to have a longer longitudinal but narrow garage on one side of RV. If it were 4-ft wide, the area next to it could be incorporated into living area; perhaps a bathroom behind bedroom. There was an aero toy hauler trailer I saw at RV shows a few times (can't recall name/brand) that was like that. The door was roughly half the with of trailer, meant for motorcycles, ATVs, etc. A similar concept could work for a motorhome without giving up so much living space.

I do like small enclosed garages so toys don't get left out where people can see and get to them.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum