Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2023, 01:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #29113
Firefly problem

I have a 2017 Thor aria 3901 seem to have a fire fly problem. The light on the G6 panel is red at the bottom . I have reset everything the red light won’t turn green the main controls by the bathroom lights up no slides will work. It won’t work interior lights, awning, or slides . Called fire fly. Walked through a few things couldn’t get it to work. Says a new panel is needed. Anybody have this before?

Old 02-25-2023, 02:52 AM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I had a similar issue a while back...nothing worked. The lady told me to unplug the main panel and wait 2 or 3 minutes then reconnect. I had to remove the panel from the wall as the connector is in the back.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:23 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3601
State: Alberta
THOR #11317
I had issue with Firefly main power control module, and was told to disconnect and reconnect main 12 volt battery cable at module to force a reboot. Simply turning off the battery switch does not remove power from module and will not start a reboot.
Marcnobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:06 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcnobert View Post
I had issue with Firefly main power control module, and was told to disconnect and reconnect main 12 volt battery cable at module to force a reboot. Simply turning off the battery switch does not remove power from module and will not start a reboot.
It does on my Maganitude SV34..... if you are not plugged into shore power. When plugged into shore power the converter is still providing 12V even when the the Use / Store switch is in the Use position.

In any case, trying a full power down reboot is a goiod suggestion.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:52 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
the remote controller all have batteries that will need replacing also.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:45 PM   #6

THOR #20748
Similar problem

I've been t-shooting a similar problem where the main panel reports the chassis battery having 0.5 volts but you can put a meter across it and get 12.2. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 04-08-2023, 06:50 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette454 View Post
I've been t-shooting a similar problem where the main panel reports the chassis battery having 0.5 volts but you can put a meter across it and get 12.2. Has anyone else seen this?
Was the battery disconnect switch in the off position?
Old 04-08-2023, 07:13 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Firefly problem

Quote:

Assuming you do mean the chassis / starting battery, check the BIM and make sure the wire for the battery voltage reading for the FireFly display is on the post with the cable coming from the chassis battery. It could have become pimched or broken. If your BIM is wired properly, that wite should be on the BATT-A post of the BIM.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:47 PM   #9

THOR #20748
The batteries were just replaced... and I have cycled the chassis circuit breaker and the cut off switch.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:48 PM   #10

THOR #20748
As for the BIM wire, can you help me with that definition? I checked all the wires in the battery compartment, and they appear to be connected without damage.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:14 PM   #11

THOR #20748
Still trying to figure this one out...

Went out and checked the wiring from the battery install. All seems to be in order. Only 00 in the Chassis Battery Compartment, and the wire from Chassis goes to the Batt-B post. All is in order. I'm wondering if there is a means of resetting the panel? Then again, the schematic shows it going to the PMM. Is there a way to re-boot the PMM? I've done a complete shutdown and opened all the circuit breakers the started it back up. Same result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM_TSHOOT.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	41518  
Old 04-08-2023, 08:37 PM   #12

THOR #2538
Have you tried disconnecting the batteries? That should break the circuit and anything else.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:06 PM   #13

THOR #20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
Have you tried disconnecting the batteries? That should break the circuit and anything else.
Just disconnected all batteries from the coach. Left them off for a couple minutes. Hooked them back up... No change... Chassis is still showing 0.5v on the main panel.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:47 AM   #14

THOR #2538
This is sounding like a lose or corroded connection. Hopefully you have a multimeter to T/S with. I would start at the controller and use the half-shot method by cutting the circuit in 2 electrically. If battery is testing good, no fused blown, a wire must be lose. Ground is a good place to start by ensuring you have good continuity between it and the panel. That way you can concentrate on tracing the positive 12VDC back.

Best of luck.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:39 AM   #15

THOR #12751
Quote:
Went out and checked the wiring from the battery install. All seems to be in order. Only 00 in the Chassis Battery Compartment, and the wire from Chassis goes to the Batt-B post. All is in order. I'm wondering if there is a means of resetting the panel? Then again, the schematic shows it going to the PMM. Is there a way to re-boot the PMM? I've done a complete shutdown and opened all the circuit breakers the started it back up. Same result.

Your wiring is slightly different than that on my Magnitude SV34 in that I have a 15A and not a 5A fuse for the orange / blue wire on the post with the cable to the chassis battery. However, this is the wire that runs back to the FireFly mainboard to report the chassis battery voltage to the display and the app.

Did you check the fuse with an ohmmeter or just look at it? I would not trust your eyes.... only trust a meter. I have seen fuses that looked ok but a meter said otherwise. I would also remove and reinsert the fuse just to be sure it is making a good connection.

Someone else had a very similar problem just a couple weeks ago after changing batteries. I think he was essentially reading 0 for his house batteries even though he had power to the coach.

After going through all of the troubleshooting we all recommended, he ended up removing all of the battery cables from the batteries. He said he found some corrosion on the battery cables from the wet batteries. He cleaned all of the connections thoroughly to remove the corrosion. Once he reattached everything, the FireFly panel started reading the voltage properly.

You could also go back to the FireFly mainboard and check the schematics for the location of the orange / blue wire and check the connection there.

If all the connections are good and you are sure the 5A fuse is good and has a solid connection, then it is possible there is a problem with the FireFly mainboard and the circuit that reports the chassis battery voltage.

I would probably remove the orange and blue wire from the BIM when you have all of the 12V to the FireFly off. But be careful because the cable from the chassis batteries will be hot!!!! I would pull the ground off the chassis battery first (both grounds if you have two chassis batteries).

When you disconnect the house batteries to kill all power to the FireFly, the chassis batteries are still going to be sending 12V back to the mainboard. Theoretically it should not matter but if you want to make sure there is really no voltage at the mainboard for a hard reboot, then I would try this. Plus it also allows you to inspect the condition of the BIM posts and the orange / blue wire terminal for corrosion, rust, etc. that could cause a poor connection and problems with the voltage getting back to the mainboard.