Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2023, 04:21 AM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Update

We just returned home from a trip, I appreciate the suggestions and I am reviewing all of the posts a few more times over. Yes, I may be overkilling it as I love to shop victoriously, but it is what I do, I am kind of a non conformist, prolly why I have became SOB, on this forum I like information and this site has lots of it. Fair to say Happy results have made me Happy too

It looks like the Midland is the de facto consensus choice, but close up, the Motorola / Midland don't look the girl you just spent two weeks talking to on the phone. In time, I may accept the Midlands, but I have some other options I am reviewing. I will update what I pull the trigger on with my reasons.

In the meantime, I did process and pay for my GMRS license. I guess I am not a government guy, because I thought the Instructions for the Online process was awful. Had it not been for FAQ on Midlands website, I may have never figured it out. I don't think I could tell someone else what to do? It took me 30 - 40 minutes. Gosh you had to Register with FCC first, then some how know that you need to request a FRN only to find out once done you need to log in as FRN then know how to associate with your email. If you got passed that, there was some legal jargon for Commercial / Individual. Once done you had to go back in your FRN and know what to do to manage payments , but I figured it out, although I may FBI knocking on my door tomorrow. I could be in jail BEFORE I even get the radios

Anyway, the radios I do get will at least FCC approved, and will be configured for GMRS (Not a Ham Radio, nor an unlocked radio). There are a lot of features that I have been seeing as I go through some of these radios. Battery life, Li-Ion batteries, AM / FM, Simple channel selection and view on screen are some things I prefer. A big one is Customer Support. Some of the Sellers or Mfgs do not respond, if they don't respond before you buy, no chance of contacting them if you have a problem. i.e. Midland doesn't take calls only emails.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:33 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
GMRS is locked to specific FM frequencies, so unlike amateur radio, there isn't any worry of transmitting on disallowed frequencies. You turn the knob to a channel and hit the PTT button... simple.

The radios are simple... you're not buying a complicated device. Think "walkie talkie" of childhood days. The only customer service you'll need is a decent warranty (probably a year) and a way to return - think Amazon Prime.

I used to swear by Motorola - I still have my 2-meter handheld "bricks". They are commercial grade - stuff used by cops and EMS, fire etc. Nowadays they're all Chinese made - just better QC than Baofeng and similar. But my Motorolas also cost me over $200 each in the 1980s!

Stick with any of the name brands and you likely won't have any issues. They're a little more expensive, but they incorporate filtering to improve accuracy and generally give a cleaner signal.

Now... if you were a HAM I'd say "73". But I'll just say good luck with your purchase!
Old 12-30-2023, 07:25 AM   #43

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
GMRS is locked to specific FM frequencies, so unlike amateur radio, there isn't any worry of transmitting on disallowed frequencies. You turn the knob to a channel and hit the PTT button... simple.

The radios are simple... you're not buying a complicated device. Think "walkie talkie" of childhood days. The only customer service you'll need is a decent warranty (probably a year) and a way to return - think Amazon Prime.

I used to swear by Motorola - I still have my 2-meter handheld "bricks". They are commercial grade - stuff used by cops and EMS, fire etc. Nowadays they're all Chinese made - just better QC than Baofeng and similar. But my Motorolas also cost me over $200 each in the 1980s!

Stick with any of the name brands and you likely won't have any issues. They're a little more expensive, but they incorporate filtering to improve accuracy and generally give a cleaner signal.

Now... if you were a HAM I'd say "73". But I'll just say good luck with your purchase!
Lots of thoughts here. I can try to explain my thinking without tipping my hat or backing myself in a corner to show true ignorance.

It is my fault for not just snapping up a simple name brand in the blind already. I have simply seen some features that just intrigue me.

Sometimes BEFORE a purchase you may need help to fill in the dots. Some companies don't want customer that research with questions to the nth degree like me. On those cases it becomes mutual for me and I move on.

GMRS is now a requirement for me. But I see other options that allow for that same simplicity that will also allow you to grow the radio into a Ham radio or true unlock. I have seen some where you can PTT on two frequencies that are being monitored at the same time.

Baofeng (my 1st choice) is moving down my list. They have not even responded to my emails ( let alone be able to call). The unit I was looking at has to ship from China and they are not telling me if the chargers will actually be a Euro plug with US adapter?

I know you said don't go down the rathole of tracking watts, but I was already in it knee deep when I got the advice. I just don't understand why a 5 watt rated unit can be sold when it is only 3.2 watts? Power has to good and there must be a reason why FCC blocks GMRS from exceeding 5 watts on certain frequencies? I am just trying to learn and see what my options are.

I didn't even know what a Repeater was last week. Even when some explained, it did not sink in for me until you explained what you did in Colorado. Those lights are on now. I have seen some units that will auto find repeater stations for you and have one button to import.

I don't like a 1000mah or 1400mah Ni-Cd batteries. I don't want to buy extra battery packs, nor the expense of using regular or rechargeable AA or AAA batteries.

Again nothing is eliminated, Midland is only name brand on the table right now. I can say that a true Ham only radio is NOT what I want or need. The GMRS will help me to protect me from myself, but I am intrigued by some radios that allow you unlock and do both. As I learn how to use, I may wish to listen to some other frequencies? I don't have a need, but if planes can fly over our house, might be kind of a cool toy to listen to them if you wanted too.

Some newer units have color screens, USB C chargers, I could go on. Bluetooth like on my Innova Diagnostic tool would be a supreme bonus.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-30-2023, 12:08 PM   #44

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Mama told me to be a “Simple Man”. I bought a pair of China’s finest rechargeable “toy” walkie talkies. While in Joshua Tree NP I talked to my wife 2 miles away. Cost about $20. Came in handy while in several parks with no cell service. Which reminds me, I probly ought to break them out and fry em up.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:22 PM   #45

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
One thing came out of this for me. I hadn't read much about the upper channel "repeater" capabilities on my Midland 1050's. Started looking into that...found the websites that identify where the repeater towers are across the country and, low and behold...there is a tower only one block from my house at the beach. I thought it was an old, out of date CB system of past. I also found another tower inland in Panama City township. Can't wait to put these to the test...it's about a 12 mile distance across a totally blocked terrain. This is very similar to the HAM repeater system but limited on features and distances.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:06 PM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
One thing came out of this for me. I hadn't read much about the upper channel "repeater" capabilities on my Midland 1050's. Started looking into that...found the websites that identify where the repeater towers are across the country and, low and behold...there is a tower only one block from my house at the beach. I thought it was an old, out of date CB system of past. I also found another tower inland in Panama City township. Can't wait to put these to the test...it's about a 12 mile distance across a totally blocked terrain. This is very similar to the HAM repeater system but limited on features and distances.

My Repeater knowledge is confined to Post #33 written by The Chateau. Are you saying the Midland will allow you to key in a frequency directly? If it does, I assume it only allows FRS/GMRS? But you are saying you have found Repeaters that you think you can connect to that are GMRS?

One unit I am looking at has a repeater search function so that in seconds it pops up a list of repeaters in your area via an app on your phone, you select what you want and via bluetooth or wired USB C data cable; it imports the Repeater to your Radio automatically.

What I don't understand..., say you do connect to a Repeater. Is the expanded repeated range confined to range of the said Repeater, or does the repeater just keep sending to every Repeater it is connected to?

I may have confused that question, so let me put it context of The Chateau. He transmits on a frequency to a repeater that he says is linked to entire state of Colorado. So if you were in Telluride, CO and I was in Boulder, CO and monitoring the channel of The Chateau, does that mean we all could hear what he said, but maybe not reply back to him unless we had same Repeater connections?

Also:

What does 5 Animal Call Alerts (turkey, duck, crow, cougar and wolf) mean on the Midland?
Old 12-30-2023, 05:40 PM   #47

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
My Repeater knowledge is confined to Post #33 written by The Chateau. Are you saying the Midland will allow you to key in a frequency directly? If it does, I assume it only allows FRS/GMRS? But you are saying you have found Repeaters that you think you can connect to that are GMRS?

One unit I am looking at has a repeater search function so that in seconds it pops up a list of repeaters in your area via an app on your phone, you select what you want and via bluetooth or wired USB C data cable; it imports the Repeater to your Radio automatically.

What I don't understand..., say you do connect to a Repeater. Is the expanded repeated range confined to range of the said Repeater, or does the repeater just keep sending to every Repeater it is connected to?

I may have confused that question, so let me put it context of The Chateau. He transmits on a frequency to a repeater that he says is linked to entire state of Colorado. So if you were in Telluride, CO and I was in Boulder, CO and monitoring the channel of The Chateau, does that mean we all could hear what he said, but maybe not reply back to him unless we had same Repeater connections?

Also:

What does 5 Animal Call Alerts (turkey, duck, crow, cougar and wolf) mean on the Midland?

The animal calls are for hunting or could be used as a secret code/meaning if using the radios in a "surveillance situation". The repeater channels are above channel 22. They work similar to the way HAM does but on a much smaller scale. You can bounce off one of the GMRS repeater towers to another radio near another tower but most likely, that's as far as you can go. There are portable repeaters you can place on a hilltop between 2 locations and use it to communicate between two locations in a valley. GMRS is somewhere between normal ole' walkie talkies and HAM. I don't ever see needing it or using it...too small a scale but, do a search on GMRS repeater maps across the U.S. It's interesting. I have a YAESU FT-7900 R/E base station in my building out back and carry a YAESU FT-60 handheld (both HAM radios) with me while traveling. I print the frequencies for repeaters in the areas we travel long distances. HAM to me, is a last means of contact in an apocalyptic scenario. For me to think I would have the same options through GMRS that HAM allows would be a death certificate. I just find the repeater capabilities with GMRS interesting for distances less than 30 or 40 miles. It's just a new toy to play with that may or not prove to be useful someday.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:00 PM   #48

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Whatever you end up with, please let us know how they work.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:47 PM   #49

THOR #16721
The basics of how a repeater functions:

Repeaters have an "input frequency" (receive) and an "output frequency" (retransmit). The difference in frequency, usually kHz is referred to as the "offset"... which may be either "negative" - a lower frequency or "positive" - a higher frequency.

In simple terms, when a repeater receives a signal on it's input frequency, it retransmits that exact signal on it's output frequency.

On the 2m ham band suppose a repeater has an input frequency of 146.250 MHz and an output frequency of 146.850 MHz. The offset is 146.250 – 146.850 = -0.6 MHz, or -600 kHz. This is a negative standard offset.

Now... in the ham radio realm, repeaters can also be linked in the same fashion, essentially chaining a signal over long distances.

Truth be told, this technology was the forerunner of mobile phone cellular communications.

AND... long before the iPhone existed (1980s) I used to call my wife at home from the car while driving home using my handheld ham radio. How? Many ham repeaters have a "phone patch" which can be accessed using inaudible tones. The thing is everyone listening to that repeater can also hear your conversation... it's public.

So... now you know!
Old 12-30-2023, 08:06 PM   #50

Model: ACE 29.5
THOR #30905
I have my amateur license KE8RJD and GMRS WRPK491 and just purchased the GRMS because it’s basically good for anyone that remotely related to you. With the GRMS you can get a base station for your RV and have a couple of handhelds to pass out for whoever goes wandering. You can get a high power base station with antenna to setup outside and 2 handhelds and license for about $200 that’s what I did
Old 12-30-2023, 08:37 PM   #51

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The basics of how a repeater functions:

Repeaters have an "input frequency" (receive) and an "output frequency" (retransmit). The difference in frequency, usually kHz is referred to as the "offset"... which may be either "negative" - a lower frequency or "positive" - a higher frequency.

In simple terms, when a repeater receives a signal on it's input frequency, it retransmits that exact signal on it's output frequency.

On the 2m ham band suppose a repeater has an input frequency of 146.250 MHz and an output frequency of 146.850 MHz. The offset is 146.250 – 146.850 = -0.6 MHz, or -600 kHz. This is a negative standard offset.

Now... in the ham radio realm, repeaters can also be linked in the same fashion, essentially chaining a signal over long distances.

Truth be told, this technology was the forerunner of mobile phone cellular communications.

AND... long before the iPhone existed (1980s) I used to call my wife at home from the car while driving home using my handheld ham radio. How? Many ham repeaters have a "phone patch" which can be accessed using inaudible tones. The thing is everyone listening to that repeater can also hear your conversation... it's public.

So... now you know!
Let me throw this act you, I will make it more functional than technical to keep everyone on same.

So you are in some mountains (not Vail ) southwest of Denver with your Midland radio. I am in Boulder, CO with my future to be owned radio. Some solar events due to an alien attempted conquest of earth that takes out all Cellular towers in North America. You know the Aliens are moving South toward Boulder, so you wish to contact me so I know to take the RV and move southwest for safety in the mountains.

For safe of simplicity we assume we all have legal FCC access to all possible band combinations.

So you transmit your Midland radio on 146.250 instructions intended for me. Some unknown Amateur operator picks up your transmission on his Repeater on 146.250 and rebroadcast out based on -600 Offset to 146.850. I am gonna assume that rebroadcast transmission is 10 to 50 watts of power, but let's assume it can make it to Boulder. For me to have heard you, I would have had to know to be monitoring the Repeater's 146.850?, or is it possible that if I had known to be monitoring 146.250? It is not clear if these receivers pickup all of the offsets from the source transmission?
Old 12-30-2023, 08:43 PM   #52

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Whatever you end up with, please let us know how they work.
Roger that... is appropriate for this thread.

I will confirm what I will purchase and my rationale for why. I later can update on what they actually do or any issues with the product bought and the whys.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:52 PM   #53

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post
I have my amateur license KE8RJD and GMRS WRPK491 and just purchased the GRMS because it’s basically good for anyone that remotely related to you. With the GRMS you can get a base station for your RV and have a couple of handhelds to pass out for whoever goes wandering. You can get a high power base station with antenna to setup outside and 2 handhelds and license for about $200 that’s what I did
Welcome to our

Please chime in with your opinions... at least on any of my thinking. I relish tough love so telling me something contrary to what I may be saying or thinking is exactly why I created the thread.

I have not been looking at, or for base stations. It is just my wife and I 90% of the time. In May 2024; we will be someplace with no Cell service. I plan to buy at least 2 radios, 4 at most. The 3rd and 4th would be for adult kids should they ever be with us; and they will be in May.

I paid for GRMS last night but no certificate yet.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:52 PM   #54

THOR #11130
Any radio...any method...is legal to transmit on without any type license in a true emergency. But for now...I'm directing this space ship back to post #1...yes...the Midland 1050's will do what you wish. If you want a "repeater"..take a Viagra.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:52 PM   #55

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Any radio...any method...is legal to transmit on without any type license in a true emergency. But for now...I'm directing this space ship back to post #1...yes...the Midland 1050's will do what you wish. If you want a "repeater"..take a Viagra.
I read somewhere that said you were not suppose to use "May Day"? I didn't quite follow and I may have misread. Too many rules and regulation so it is easy to do something wrong and run a foul with the FCC or seasoned HAM operators.

Yes, Midland will do what I want, if it were a Christmas present, I would NOT return it nor buy something else.

I am leaning toward buying 4 radios so that moves my budget to about $200 for the Midlands. Money is not really a factor, just want the newest technology that works.

In a twist of irony and play on words, I do NOT think I need a Repeater (nor Viagra ) but a radio that makes it easy to transmit to a Repeater, has 2500mah batteries, has Bluetooth, color screen, phone app etc is kind of sexy.
Old 12-30-2023, 11:08 PM   #56
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Been reading this entire thread. I almost mad a big mistake several years ago and purchased an expensive pair of radios. I thought better of it. Before I sprung for them, I decided to purchase a cheep pair of walkie talkies. I glad I did. I could never get my wife to let go of the talk lever once she started talking. I had to go find her and she was upset the I never responded to her. I explained over and over, release the lever once you are finished talking so it would be in receive mode. She never could.....doh!
Old 12-30-2023, 11:32 PM   #57

THOR #16721
Don't know about GMRS... but with 2-meter ham (including aliens) you always listen on the repeaters output frequency. You program the offset into your radio. Then when you transmit, your radio automagically transmits on the offset frequency.

When a LINKED repeater is "keyed up", it retransmits on an unpublished link frequency to all other linked repeaters in the network. All the linked repeaters share the same input and output frequency.

P.S. Hey Jetlag... you're about 15 minutes away from me! Welcome! Small world indeed!
Old 12-31-2023, 08:25 PM   #58

THOR #13058
Radio Purchased

Just a quick update that I decided to go with TIDRadio and their brand new H3 model that has yet to be shipped to anyone yet. ( Pre Sales Orders til Jan 1, 2024). Presales orders will all ship next week.

I will provide more insight on the product later. I purchased direct from TIDRadio. I pulled the trigger today because of the special pricing and promo codes. They actually sent me the detail manual which also helped me with the confidence. Very nice manual, color pictures and NOT in Chinglish.

I purchased 4 H3 Radios and one Microphone Speaker. While I got the GMSR version, it or can be used as a full Ham or Amateur Radio, with simple reset and change of the device.

I wanted to get the order in today to hopefully take advantage of the promos that expire tonight. I expect to receive in a week or so.

Again thanks to all for all the help. {over & out} roger beep
Old 12-31-2023, 11:31 PM   #59

THOR #13058
Why I chose the TIDRadio H3

I must have watched 50 videos on all types of radios. I changed my mind on my favorite a few times, because I kept seeing something new in another model. I was actually researching the TIDRadio H8, and while viewing the TIDRadio website, I was surprised to read from TIDRadio, how they were crowing the brand new about to be released H3 over the not too long ago released H8.

I will start by sharing why the H3 over H8.
The H3 actually has more functions: Although it is positioned as a lower-priced walkie-talkie than the H8, it has some new features that the H8 does not have, achieving a low price and high configuration. It has added several new functions: Airband function, code measuring function, and cross band.
Convenient Programming: H3 can be programmed with a K connector data cable, Type-C cable, or Bluetooth on a phone.
But what drove me to TIDRadio and ultimately why I bought.

1. Color screen, this screen can actually be read in sunlight.
2. Clarity on distinction between GMRS and true Ham Radio. Owner can easily swap the radio between GMRS / Ham modes if they like, or unlock it completely, vice versa and as many times as they like.
3. Test results that proves Spectral Analyzer hits 5 watts when it is suppose to be 5 watts, not 3.2 watts etc.
4. It displays both the Channel and the frequency
5. It can monitor two Channels at the same time
6. It has two PTT buttons so you can talk to Channel A or B just by pressing the PTT button you need.
7. It has both AM Aviation and FM radio capabilities
8. Comes with a GMRS optimized antenna
9. Has USB-C and comes with USB-C data cable
10. The GMSR configuration comes preset with all of the GMSR channels programmed
11. Comes with a App (Odmaster) to work with your phone (Apple / Android), 3 ways to program when/if needed ( 2 Pin K connector programming available, but not needed)
12. It has Repeater features. Auto import feature to bring in Repeaters that are auto found near you with one button to program.
13. 2500 mah Li Ion battery, can charge battery with adapter or USB C
14. Built in flashlight
15. Comes with a real physical Owner's Manual book, that is not only all in English, but has color pages and screenshots. TIDRadio, sent me the pdf of the manual BEFORE the sale. It is really easy to read. It explains all of the features.
16. TIDRadio has real human Customer Support. Phone & email
17. Has some features that I can grow into or learn how to use (DTMF, CTCSS, DCS); The radio is actually for Professionals.
18. Cross Intercom
19. Built in Repeater Offset Tones
20. CHIRP Support
21. Frog sound tail signaling
22. FCC Approved
23. No tax or shipping charges

The price was so low I bought 4 so everybody would have one if ever needed. Throw in some free AM Antennas and one K type Microphone speaker and I was out $153.

I am expecting 7 - 10 days of shipping; so it will be a while before I go to next stage to evaluate. I first need to confirm I receive what I am expecting and then I get into how does it work. But for now I am all in on the H3 Model of TIDRadio. I am not speaking for their H8 or any other product, I am only crowing this one (The H3) because it checks every bell and whistle I wanted.

{over and out} roger beep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-31 165852.png
Views:	13
Size:	766.0 KB
ID:	44659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-31 170840.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	44660  

Old 01-08-2024, 12:34 PM   #60

THOR #13058
Update on Shipping

Upate on TIDRadio

They had two people contact me the 1st work day after my order. They advised that due to number of orders, their preproduction was low and my shipment may not occur to until the 5th. Then they were saying they would throw in some extra microphones for inconvenience.

I did not hear anything else, so yesterday (7th) I sent a note asking if I would receive any tracking.

Then I got below response that they shipped today.

I'm very sorry for keeping you waiting. We only shipped it to you today. To express my apologies, I have sent you two 771 antennas
It is expected to take one or two days to receive the tracking number after it is sent out today.

So I suspect now it will be 7 days or so from today before I receive. Maybe have tracking by Wednesday.

Remember this order is direct with TIDRadio, not Amazon, TEMU, AliExpress etc. Thus far they seem pretty engaged. This is a brand new product that they have been taking preorders for, but stated they would not ship until January.

In the meantime, I am all FCC GMRS licensed up and no way to talk to anyone