Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2023, 01:58 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #29404
Hello from SW Florida

Hi,
I'm Dan and my wife's name is Pam. We are currently counting down to Pam's retirement and I am semi retired.
We are new to the RV world and look forward to learning as much as possible before we purchase likely a used Class C on a E-450 chassis.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:50 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! As you shop, consider the Vegas and Axis twins. They are a Class A body on a Class C van chassis. You can get lost in the comments over the years on this forum.

My single best advice is walk away from any RV with a corner bed. That's one you won't want long.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:56 AM   #3

THOR #29404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum! As you shop, consider the Vegas and Axis twins. They are a Class A body on a Class C van chassis. You can get lost in the comments over the years on this forum.

My single best advice is walk away from any RV with a corner bed. That's one you won't want long.
Thanks for the information. Friends of ours bought their first RV with that corner bed floorplan, and are on RV number 3 now! Trying to learn from others experiences before we drive over the curb from the seller.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:31 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Hey our TT had a corner bed. 50k miles camping. Lora slept on the end and I climbed over her
Old 04-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #5

THOR #29404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hey our TT had a corner bed. 50k miles camping. Lora slept on the end and I climbed over her
They sell alot of that Floorplan that's for sure!
Old 04-11-2023, 06:39 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Welcome to the Forum!

What part of SW Florida are you located?

We are in Cape Coral. Started out with a Class C Outlaw 29H and have had a '20 Magnitude SV34 for about 4 years now. We are heading to Alaska in it next month.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:10 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

We are in Cape Coral. Started out with a Class C Outlaw 29H and have had a '20 Magnitude SV34 for about 4 years now. We are heading to Alaska in it next month.
Judge, what US route are you taking towards Canada?
Old 04-11-2023, 10:22 PM   #8

THOR #29404
Quote:
Welcome to the Forum!

We are in Naples Have a 2025 Alaska trip booked with Fantasy RV Tours. So, we are working on getting our feet wet and learning a lot in the next two years.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:45 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. We started out in 2015 with a Class B Winnebago. In 2018 we moved into a Class C Thor Siesta with 2 slide out rooms and last year we moved into a Class A Thor Miramar with 3 slide out rooms. We drove cross country in the Class C and ended up putting 30,000 miles on it in the 4 yrs we had it. Looking forward to going cross country this summer in the Class A towing our car with us. Before buying the coaches, we looked at many models and floor plans before narrowing it down to what we have now.

Paul
Old 04-12-2023, 01:09 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 23U
THOR #29103
Welcome from Port Charlotte! Like you, we're new to the RV world. This has been a great site for help.
Good luck with your purchase when you make it!
Old 04-12-2023, 12:09 PM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_4568 View Post
We are in Naples Have a 2025 Alaska trip booked with Fantasy RV Tours. So, we are working on getting our feet wet and learning a lot in the next two years.

We're in Cape Coral and we are taking the 62-Day Alaska Your Way Trip with Fantasy this year. I will let you know how it is but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I will probably post pictures on here and some details of our trip.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:16 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Judge, what US route are you taking towards Canada?

Gritz..... our trip is a bit crazy.

We are heading north to PA to see family around May 1. I keep the coach stored up there. Then we are heading to the southwest hitting southern New Mexico to stop at Carlsbad.

Then we hit Joshua Tree in southern Cal and work our way to Sequoia, Yosemite, Redwood.... then up to Mount St Helen and Rainier and then Olympic NP before meeting up with the caravan in Blaine, WA to cross the border.

I'll try to give you a call this week. Tried to drop you a PM but your mailbox is full. Its been crazy the past few weeks. We've had a revolving door of visitors and have a couple days before my sister-in-law and her husband roll into town for a week.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:32 PM   #13

THOR #11130
We will be in SE New Mexico on 5/3-6 then heading northbound through Winslow and Jerome, AZ, then into Utah around the 10th. Let me know if you get closeby. I'll delete some old stuff in PM box.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:33 PM   #14

THOR #11130
Dan...sorry to side track your post here. Trains in Florida are subject to taking dirt roads quickly. Welcome here! This forum is a blast. I think this might be a great fall season for a Rally. Mr. Sunshine...you listening? Regarding your initial post, have you considered any make/model on the Sprinter chassis vs the E450?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:11 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
In Highlands county FL. Got steam train runs right by house. The pups howl effectively.

Welcome to forum, wealth of info/experience here.

We bought an e450 based Vegas 24.1 in 2016. Use it for vacations and pulling drag car on open trailer all over SE USA. Has met our needs without issue.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:29 AM   #16

THOR #29404
Quote:
Dan...sorry to side track your post here. Trains in Florida are subject to taking dirt roads quickly. Welcome here! This forum is a blast. I think this might be a great fall season for a Rally. Mr. Sunshine...you listening? Regarding your initial post, have you considered any make/model on the Sprinter chassis vs the E450?
Regarding the Sprinter vs. Ford, #1, I sold Fords beginning in 1996. I know I will be able to afford any issues that might arise mechanically. The thought of going to a Mercedes dealership for a repair or even a oil change scares me!
Old 04-13-2023, 03:39 AM   #17

THOR #29404
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
In Highlands county FL. Got steam train runs right by house. The pups howl effectively.

Welcome to forum, wealth of info/experience here.

We bought an e450 based Vegas 24.1 in 2016. Use it for vacations and pulling drag car on open trailer all over SE USA. Has met our needs without issue.

Thanks! I do like a couple of the differences on the Vegas and Axis models. We need to get out ASAP and test drive a Class C and those two Class A.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:44 AM   #18

THOR #29404
Quote:
We're in Cape Coral and we are taking the 62-Day Alaska Your Way Trip with Fantasy this year. I will let you know how it is but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I will probably post pictures on here and some details of our trip.
That is great! Look forward to hearing your feedback on the tour. We are going on a 7 day cruise to Alaska in August. Our 2nd time doing Alaska by sea.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:44 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_4568 View Post
Regarding the Sprinter vs. Ford, #1, I sold Fords beginning in 1996. I know I will be able to afford any issues that might arise mechanically. The thought of going to a Mercedes dealership for a repair or even a oil change scares me!
I can tell you I owned Mercedes cars as well as close friends. IF not under warranty you are screwe!
I had a Mercedes E320 convertible and after the warranty I asked Mercedes to do a full checkout and bill came back $10,000 in 2002.
I sold it!
Old 04-13-2023, 08:06 PM   #20

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I can tell you I owned Mercedes cars as well as close friends. IF not under warranty you are screwe!

I had a Mercedes E320 convertible and after the warranty I asked Mercedes to do a full checkout and bill came back $10,000 in 2002.

I sold it!
I've had a couple of AMG's, same situation. After warranty runs out, gets pricey. One guy told me don't buy a used one unless you're willing to blow $15,000-20,000 on repairs. But 0-60 in 3.1 was fun!