Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2023, 11:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #30116
Newbie owner of 2024 Axis 24.1

Good morning from the hot DFW Texas. I completed my maiden voyage in my Axis this week. My husband & I had a fifth wheel for many years and after he passed away I needed something I felt comfortable driving, setting up, etc. and feel I did very well considering in the past I only followed his instructions in leveling which was my biggest challenge but I did it!

The difference in driving a F-250 and pulling a trailer to being inside your rig will take some getting used to. I don't know if I need to take it back to the dealer or if this is standard with the Axis. The cab air conditioning only seems to blow air when driving and then it doesn't seem to have much output. I drive with generator running so the living area is cooled but my dog and I were not comfortable.

Other than this one issue I love the Axis. It was very comfortable and I even was able to maneuver around the small shower. I read somewhere about using pool noodles so will look into that. Also I read somewhere about putting up sunblocking curtains between the cab and coach so will look into that but the reflectix seemed to keep a lot of heat out while camping.

Just wanted to introduce myself and if you have any suggestions for this old woman solo anytime camper I would appreciate it!!!

Old 07-27-2023, 12:25 PM   #2

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
With the temps you are getting in the DFW area now, it isn’t surprising that the chassis and coach A/Cs can’t keep up even with both running.

David
Old 07-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
The cab air conditioning only seems to blow air when driving and then it doesn't seem to have much output.
Not normal. Of course the engine A/C will only work with the engine running but I take your post to mean you only feel air coming out of the vents while the MH is moving? But if you're stopped at a stoplight, no air comes out?

The Cab A/C should work just like the A/C in your car with different fan speeds. Might want to cruise that back to the dealer.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:51 AM   #4

State: Massachusetts
THOR #24174
Hi there.
I have had a 2021 vegas and also a 2022 axis. The a/c leaves a lot to be desired. Make sure the ac button and also the resurculating buttons are both on.
The cab gets exceptionally hot after you shut the engine down from residual engine heat.
The Vegas ans Axis are awsome. Fun to drive. Set up and use.
I just ordered a new ACE 32B. A little bigger unit, but we are changing up the type of rving we are doing.
I wish youbthe best of luck. Also you should get upwards of 15 mph if you work at it with the cruise control.
Mm
Old 07-28-2023, 09:16 PM   #5

THOR #30116
Well update on my chassis AC issue. It appears the blower is not working. I attempted to contact the dealer (left 3 messages yesterday and 2 today) but while waiting thought I would check the fuse. Once opened the hood decided not and drove to the dealer and spoke to a service rep who told me that I needed to contact Ford for a fix and they didn't have a referral source. Called Thor and they directed me to search online but to advance search for commercial. After calling the 3 listed and none that works on motor homes I am a bit exasperated. Does anyone know of a Ford service center in the Fort Worth, TX area? TIA
Old 07-28-2023, 09:33 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Well update on my chassis AC issue. It appears the blower is not working. I attempted to contact the dealer (left 3 messages yesterday and 2 today) but while waiting thought I would check the fuse. Once opened the hood decided not and drove to the dealer and spoke to a service rep who told me that I needed to contact Ford for a fix and they didn't have a referral source. Called Thor and they directed me to search online but to advance search for commercial. After calling the 3 listed and none that works on motor homes I am a bit exasperated. Does anyone know of a Ford service center in the Fort Worth, TX area? TIA
You have an AXIS. The entire dash including any and all HVAC components are THOR installed and likely are supplied by a third party manufacturer.
Old 07-28-2023, 10:18 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It might be worth going to an ac shop, paying the diagnosis out of pocket and getting your air fixed.

You might ask Thor first if they'll refund.
If they won't,
Pay out of pocket and put this all behind you.

Some things are more important than warranty.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:35 PM   #8

State: Michigan
THOR #24400
Axis A/C Issue

We had a similar problem with our 2021 Axis. We had a Ford dealer diagnose and repair the problem. In our case, Thor had not charged the system with refrigerant. We sent a copy of the Ford invoice to Thor and they reimbursed us for the cost of the repairs.

We found that the Ford Motorhome Hotline was very helpful in finding a Ford dealer that works on the chassis portion of the Axis. If you search the forum, you should be able to find the telephone number
Old 07-28-2023, 11:38 PM   #9

THOR #24400
Ford Motorhome Support Line

Here is the phone number for Ford's Motorhome Assistance Center
800-444-3311

When I called them, they found a dealer that works on motorhomes very quickly.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:13 AM   #10

THOR #24400
Axis Automotive A/C

We have found the chassis A/C to be undersized. It works well enough for us, as we live in Michigan. Mid-80's is a heat wave for us! In the South, you will probably need to run the house A/C as well when driving in hot weather.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:24 AM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Maybe it's a fluke
But
Our 24.1 blows cold in an Arizona/New Mexico summer just fine.
It's a big windshield but the ac does just fine against that obstacle.

We had our windshield(and all other windows) ceramic tinted.
Supposed to help with heat.
Oddly, it also helped a bit with the noise.
The noise is all still there, but it's flatter with less depth.

We also always run the coach roof a.c. all the time.
If we Go into a store, we leave both of them running.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:45 PM   #12

State: Utah
THOR #30064
Quote:
Good morning from the hot DFW Texas. I completed my maiden voyage in my Axis this week. My husband & I had a fifth wheel for many years and after he passed away I needed something I felt comfortable driving, setting up, etc. and feel I did very well considering in the past I only followed his instructions in leveling which was my biggest challenge but I did it!

The difference in driving a F-250 and pulling a trailer to being inside your rig will take some getting used to. I don't know if I need to take it back to the dealer or if this is standard with the Axis. The cab air conditioning only seems to blow air when driving and then it doesn't seem to have much output. I drive with generator running so the living area is cooled but my dog and I were not comfortable.

Other than this one issue I love the Axis. It was very comfortable and I even was able to maneuver around the small shower. I read somewhere about using pool noodles so will look into that. Also I read somewhere about putting up sunblocking curtains between the cab and coach so will look into that but the reflectix seemed to keep a lot of heat out while camping.

Just wanted to introduce myself and if you have any suggestions for this old woman solo anytime camper I would appreciate it!!!

I have a Thor Chateau and I got thick self adhesive insulation material that I put on the inside of the engine cover. I covered the entire surface and sealed the edges on the top to keep hot engine heat from entering the cab. It made a world of difference and I encourage others to do the same.
Paul
Old 08-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #13816
Quote:
Ford provides the chassis. The AC system is provided by Thor. Did you receive any contact from Thor regarding a concierge service phone contact? Keep calling Thor until you get someone who will acknowledge that Thor needs to help you with this problem. Congratulations and Good Luck!

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 02:27 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #7973
Cab Air Conditioner Problem

I had the same issue last summer with my 2017 Vegas 24.1. it ended up being the Air Conditioner control board in mounted in the dash. I ordered one from Thor and replaced myself after being diagnosed at a Ford Dealership that works on motorhomes. A pretty simple fix after watching a YouTube video. The Ford dealership estimate was $600 labor for 3 hours. It took me 15 minutes to swap the part.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:59 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
THOR #25694
axis dash ac

i had the same issue with my 2022 vegas 25.6.
in the front out side under the dash there was a lot of air leaks where the dash meets the body buy the defroster vents. i worked very hard at pluging the leaks couldnt get them all so i covered the defrost vents with a heavy towel and inslated the dog house that seemed to help a lot even when we were not moving.
good luck and happy trails
Old 08-03-2023, 07:52 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigsbya5458 View Post
I had the same issue last summer with my 2017 Vegas 24.1. it ended up being the Air Conditioner control board in mounted in the dash. I ordered one from Thor and replaced myself after being diagnosed at a Ford Dealership that works on motorhomes. A pretty simple fix after watching a YouTube video. The Ford dealership estimate was $600 labor for 3 hours. It took me 15 minutes to swap the part.
Hopefully I'll never need it, but could you provide the part number and the YouTube link please? It may be of help to others too.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:09 PM   #17

THOR #30116
Thor provided limit assistance; however, I did call them on Friday afternoon. I was able to locate a Ford dealership that was willing to help. In the meantime I was discussing with my neighbor who retired from a Ford dealership where he was employed as a service tech. He volunteered to look at it and found a wire under the dash that had disconnected. He reconnected which fixed the issue. I have been a long time owner of Ford vehicles so hoping this will be the last concerning the cab. I plan to enjoy my adventures and pray all goes well going forward!!!
Old 08-05-2023, 06:03 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thor provided limit assistance; however, I did call them on Friday afternoon. I was able to locate a Ford dealership that was willing to help. In the meantime I was discussing with my neighbor who retired from a Ford dealership where he was employed as a service tech. He volunteered to look at it and found a wire under the dash that had disconnected. He reconnected which fixed the issue. I have been a long time owner of Ford vehicles so hoping this will be the last concerning the cab. I plan to enjoy my adventures and pray all goes well going forward!!!
Sooo, not a Ford problem then......
Old 08-05-2023, 07:42 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
The dash A/C in all Ford stripped chassis is supplied by Evans Tempcon and install by Thor MC at the house factory (Thor MC plant 750 or 850). Detroit Chassis installs a Ford A/C compressor when assembling the chassis. Pro Air can supply all the Evans Tempcon parts. Been that way for 28 years or so.
FOMOCO Truck Division designs the stripped chassis, but the assembly and marketing is handled by Detroit Chassis in Detroit, MI and Avon, OH.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote