Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #19
PEHetzer

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27k
State: Arkansas
THOR #1759
Send a message via Skype™ to PEHetzer
Smile We took the leap

We took the leap of faith and purchased a new 2014 Hurricane (27k) for $79,900. After looking at different RV models, We decided on the 27k because it seemed perfect for just the two of us. When we started to look around for an available unit, we discovered that the 30ft RV's did not stay listed for sale very long. We were on the RV lot when we picked up our RV and while we were there they apparently sold 5 more RV.
We just returned from our first trip (2000 miles) and have determined that our choice was a good one. There are some cautions that I would give to you based on my own experiences.

1. The information that comes with the Thor 27k is minimal. The information that I received was generic and not specific to the RV that we purchased.

2. Have the technician flag the different valves with a piece of ribbon so that you can find them again. here is a list of valves that you need to identify.
a. The black and grey water tanks. (these are easy to find)
b. The fresh water drain valves. (located on either side of the
fresh water pump.) These do not look like valves.
c. The hot water by-pass valves. (These valves are not easy to
find and they have specific positions for proper operation of
the hot water tank. DO NOT OPERATE YOUR HOT WATER TANK
UNTIL YOU CHECK THESE VALVES FOR PROPER POSITION OR
YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR HOT WATER TANK.)

3. When I first drove my RV, it was difficult to control the steering
at highway speeds (55-60 mph). I recommend that you insist on having your new RV wheel alignment checked by the dealer.The dealer will most likely have to send the RV to a truck body shop to have the alignment checked. (estimated cost $125).

4. After I had the alignment checked (discovered that the toe-in alignment was not properly set) I discovered that controlling the RV was better, but not as good as I would have liked. I stopped at a tire shop and had them pressurize my tires to the pressure levels recommended by Thor (label next to driver under window). The astounding. I could easily control the RV at highway speeds and driving actually became fun.

5. Bring a small set of tools. We discovered a few things that needed tightning adter we started our trip. Here is what we discovered.
1. The bathroom door handle became loose. Need phillips head
screw driver to tighten.
2. The windshield arm on passenger side came loose and almost
fell off during a hartd rain storm. The cap nut holding the arm
to the drive spline came loose. Re-positioned the arm and
tightened cap nut with 8" adjustable wrench. I would check
at the dealer before you drive off of the lot.
3. I added magnetic latches to the over-head bin doors that are
directly over the eating area. The kept opening during our trip.

Over all, We have enjoyed our first trip and we are looking forward to our next trip. If you would like, you could contact me at 515-897-0609 to talk to us about the other experiences that we have had with or RV.

Paul & Tatyana Hetzer

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum