Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #76
2016vegas

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Specific for the 25.2 water system winterizing

25.2 Vegas specific Winterization ... thanks to author of the 24.1...I just changed a bit for 25.2

Unfortunately, it is that time of year again (second time this year for me). Time to get the unit ready for more winter.

This is specific to the Axis/Vegas 25.2 and will probably not exactly apply to the other Axis/Vegas/other RVs as far as where the valves are located, but the procedures are the same.

To start out with you'll want to flip the pressure relief valve behind the water heater access panel to relieve pressure off your water system and then remove the water heater's drain plug (a plastic plug near the bottom left of the unit). Its a 1 1/16th socket (easiest to get to with a short extension).Just remove the plug and leave it out until spring--or just replace it very loosely to keep any critters out).

Next you'll want to lift the jacknife sofa and prop it open to get to the water tank, antifreeze siphon tube, water heater bypass valves, etc from there.

After that I open the drain valve for the water tank on the left bottom of the tank (closest to you) and close the feed valve on the Left bottom of the tank (Farthest from you(so the water pump doesn't draw water from the tank)). You can tell the feed valve because its hooked to the pipe going to the water pump, and the drain valve because it is the one with the right-angle fitting that goes through the floor.

Now the fun part is to find three valves on the left at the water heater tank. They are pretty difficult to see. The easiest way to find them is first by feel and then visually. You will find the two lines that go to and from the water heater, the valves should be open (in line with the flow). Close them to winterize. The third line is the bypass line and the valve should be closed. Open it to bypass the water heater to winterize. Now the lines to/from the water heater are closed and the bypass line is open.

The first time you winterize you’ll need to install a winterization kit to the pump. After you install it, you can leave it in place…. Here is one https://www.midlandhardware.com/8747...BoCjj0QAvD_BwE
There are others.

Place the clear tube into a gal antifreeze bottle and open the valve.

Now turn the pump on with the kitchen faucet open slightly (using kitchen because you can see the antifreeze tubing from the pump switch). The idea here is to have a faucet open so the pump can suck up the antifreeze--try it with all the faucets closed you won't get very far LOL.

Once you see the clear line filled and hear the pump slow down because it has some antifreeze in it close the faucet. Now you're ready...
Go around the coach opening up one side (cold) and then the other (hot) until you see pink stuff coming out. Make sure you do every faucet including the outside shower, the shower head, and the toilet. It should be really pink coming out:

You'll probably empty the first gallon during this process. When you hear the pump running with no antifreeze coming out just turn off the pump, replace the bottle with a full one, and repeat the priming like you did with the first bottle.
When all the sinks are done I also go and briefly open up both low point drains (located in the floor behind the drawer under the fridge… the drawer slide has a tab to hold up/down to allow the drawer to open bend the normal limit so you can reach in there) so you can get antifreeze going through them.

When I'm all done I pour any remaining antifreeze into each sink, the shower, and the toilet to make sure that there is antifreeze in the traps and the waste tanks (even though there probably is from the winterizing process but, in this case, more is better). In addition this allows me to use up all the antifreeze and recycle the bottles (no real reason to have a 1/2 full bottle of RV antifreeze sitting around).

It usually only takes about 1.5 gallons of pink stuff to winterize an Axis/Vegas--I get extra just in case.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum