Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Taillight repair issue.

Today I was checking the taillights in my RV and I had a burned out bulb, so I decided to replace it.

When I opened the tailight bezel, water poured out. It appears the gaskets were not very good, but I found the company that makes the taillight bezels is only about 25 miles from where I live. The manufacturer is Command Electronics, and here is their website:

Command Electronics :: Manufaturers of Lighting for RV, Marine, & Trailers

The bezel I have is model number "003-30", and looks like this:

The ones I have have are the ones with three lights (two red and one backup).

I checked with them and found you can buy new gaskets. They are not on the website but you can call them to order.

The large gasket is part number 140-37b, priced at $2.00.

The small gasket is part number 140-36 priced at $1.00.

You can also buy the entire assembly with the bezel and back plate for $27.00

Their number is 269-679-4011

Well, that is the good news. The bad news is the bezels are recessed in a plywood lined void in the rear wall, and it is wet. Luckily there is no significant damage to the plywood... yet. There was a bit of "fuzz" on the plywood, so there is probably at least some localized superficial damage. So what I need to do is to open the bezels and allow the plywood to dry, then "paint" the entire inside area with epoxy.

That will assure a waterproof void so if the lights leak again, it will not damage the RV end wall.

This may be a winter project as I may have to open up the bezels over the winter for them to completely dry (with a cover of course over the RV).

If any of you have similar bezels, check them and if they leak, perhaps you may want to do something similar to what I am doing.

Photos will be forthcoming...

How is it that something so simple as replacing a taillight can turn into a major project?

Oh, I remember... the only thing that works on a RV is the owner...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum