Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1912 View Post
Thanks....we would be thinking of getting by from say 7 pm through the next morning.....tv, led lights, possibly small fan, coffee grinder and coffee maker in morning....possibly microwave for 2 minutes....
I would worry about the coffee maker and microwave the most. That's a lot different than TVs, small fans, or LED lights. I'm not familiar with power requirements of coffeee grinders, although I expect they are not as high or used as long.

Anyway, based on minimal research I've done to engineer the system I want, it appears there is significant variation in how some flooded batteries handle high current requirements. While I hardly take everything I read on internet as gospel, there seems to be general agreement that the Peukert number has a wide range of values for flooded batteries.

In the graph below used as an example (let's assume it's accurate), a 120 Amp-hour battery can be reduced to as low as 20 Amp-hours, and that's at only 50 Amps or so. If taken up to 120 Amps (the equivalent of taking two 80 Amp-hour batteries to at least 80 Amps each to power a 2,000-watt inverter under heavy load), then we may see much less than even 20 Amp-hours; and that's from a battery rated at 120 Amp-hours. It's possible that in some applications the battery bank may only be able to provide 10% or so of rated capacity.

This is why increasing battery capacity can be so important -- not only do we start with more Amp-hours, but the specific discharge rate will be much lower, thereby allowing batteries to deliver a greater percentage of their rated capacity (which is at a very slow 20-hour rate, not extremely fast 4-minute rate).

Chart context is from this site:

BU-503: How to Calculate Battery Runtime – Battery University

By the way, since you mentioned going to AGM batteries, I suspect you already knew most of this. I'm posting in case it helps others who kill their batteries much faster than they expected and can't figure out why.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3903.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	4363  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum