Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2021, 01:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Texas
THOR #22559
Best head unit with Android Auto support?

My Palazzo comes with the Axxera asc419n, which is a true piece of junk. Awful head unit.

I'm looking for a replacement unit, recommendations?

Needs to have video in for backup and side cameras, should allow connecting my phone for Android Auto functionality. The bigger the screen the better.

Old 04-03-2021, 01:39 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
After looking at several I'm having a Kenwood DMX1037S installed Tuesday to replace the Jensen Jrv212t in my 2014 Palazzo. I got to drive the owner of the radio shops vehicle with one installed and I was sold immediately.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:45 AM   #3

THOR #22559
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
After looking at several I'm having a Kenwood DMX1037S installed Tuesday to replace the Jensen Jrv212t in my 2014 Palazzo. I got to drive the owner of the radio shops vehicle with one installed and I was sold immediately.
I also saw the DMX1037S and it looks great. Is there an iDatalink harness that works with freightliner, so the steering wheel controls work?
Old 04-03-2021, 01:53 AM   #4

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
That I don't know as mine doesn't have the steering wheel controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreminio View Post
I also saw the DMX1037S and it looks great. Is there an iDatalink harness that works with freightliner, so the steering wheel controls work?
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:08 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You'll be impressed with the quality of the Kenwood; congratulations!
Old 04-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 33.5
State: Michigan
THOR #23179
Quote:
Were you able to get it working with the Freightliner SWC?
Old 04-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #7

THOR #22559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kosharek View Post
Were you able to get it working with the Freightliner SWC?
I actually went with BOSS Audio Systems Elite BE10ACP, and this separate monitor for my rear/side cameras which I mounted on top of the dashboard.

The radio works great - it is super-basic but can connect to your Android or iPhone for full functionality. Best of all it has a physical volume knob.

I have not yet connected the SWC, doing that this week but doesn't seem like it'll be difficult. The Palazzo came with an Axxera CV19SIME SWC module (pic attached) which I can find absolutely NO information on after hours of googling and searching. If this doesn't work with the new radio head unit for SWC then I will buy the Axxess ASWC-1 which does the same thing. It will only be used for volume/music/call control and will not be used for video switching.

For the read/side cameras I set up the separate monitor and hooked up the turn signal and reverse signal cables to it, as well as the 3 video feeds. It works perfectly. The larger display plus the placement on top of the dashboard (much closer to the windshield) is a huge win for me.

As a bonus I got to clean up the absolutely terrible wiring job Thor did out of the factory.

I did have to cut out a single-DIN hole where the original radio head unit was to be able to fit the new one, but the large screen hides it very well and it looks pretty dang good.

Turns out an iDatalink is not necessary (and not compatible anyway) since it is used to display more detailed information like engine status, RPMs, MPG, tire pressure, etc. Nothing that was being displayed on the factory head unit. All I really needed was an SWC module which already came with the truck (or can buy the Axxess ASWC-1). The camera switching is done through signal triggers and does not require a separate module.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-04 11.55.10.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	30078  
Old 04-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 33.5
State: Michigan
THOR #23179
Quote:
I actually went with BOSS Audio Systems Elite BE10ACP, and this separate monitor for my rear/side cameras which I mounted on top of the dashboard.

The radio works great - it is super-basic but can connect to your Android or iPhone for full functionality. Best of all it has a physical volume knob.

I have not yet connected the SWC, doing that this week but doesn't seem like it'll be difficult. The Palazzo came with an Axxera CV19SIME SWC module (pic attached) which I can find absolutely NO information on after hours of googling and searching. If this doesn't work with the new radio head unit for SWC then I will buy the Axxess ASWC-1 which does the same thing. It will only be used for volume/music/call control and will not be used for video switching.

For the read/side cameras I set up the separate monitor and hooked up the turn signal and reverse signal cables to it, as well as the 3 video feeds. It works perfectly. The larger display plus the placement on top of the dashboard (much closer to the windshield) is a huge win for me.

As a bonus I got to clean up the absolutely terrible wiring job Thor did out of the factory.

I did have to cut out a single-DIN hole where the original radio head unit was to be able to fit the new one, but the large screen hides it very well and it looks pretty dang good.

Turns out an iDatalink is not necessary (and not compatible anyway) since it is used to display more detailed information like engine status, RPMs, MPG, tire pressure, etc. Nothing that was being displayed on the factory head unit. All I really needed was an SWC module which already came with the truck (or can buy the Axxess ASWC-1). The camera switching is done through signal triggers and does not require a separate module.
Thanks for the response and info. Any pictures on the head unit and video monitor? Does camera monitor connect to the turn signals or is it always on?
Old 04-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #9

THOR #22559
Quote:
Thanks for the response and info. Any pictures on the head unit and video monitor? Does camera monitor connect to the turn signals or is it always on?
I will take pictures later this week, but the radio head unit is just the screen that comes out of the single-DIN hole, and the video monitor uses a 3M adhesive pad to stick to the dash. I've only driven about 100 miles since I attached the video monitor but it seems solid enough!

The tricky thing when installing the radio head unit was that I couldn't figure out how to remove the dashboard trim to get full access to the space where the radio unit goes! I had to do some contortion to be able to screw the radio bracket _up_ into the dashboard plywood, then slide the radio unit through the single-DIN hole and attach to the bracket. It is now solid and won't be going anywhere, but I really wish I knew how to remove the dashboard trim!

The camera monitor is great, for the price. Fairly crappy resolution, but clear enough for my purposes (for now!) and it supports up to 4 cameras (but I only use 3). It can multiplex and has several different layouts you can cycle through: single, 50/50 split, 50/25/25 split, and 25/25/25/25 split. The Amazon description shows the different layouts pretty well. The display is always on and switches automatically.

It has trigger cables so the correct camera takes over 100% of the screen when I reverse or activate left/right turn signals. Super-easy to install if you have some butt crimps or push-in connectors.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:27 PM   #10

THOR #22559
Quote:
I've attached a picture of what I ended up with.

I was not able to use the SWC module (Axxera CV19SIME) with this radio because the radio uses a plug vs hard-wires. I'll need to purchase the Axxess ASWC-1 module to get steering wheel control.

The USB plug sticking out of the dashboard to the left of the camera monitor is for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay phone connection. I've got a USB cable I'll use to extend it and route the cable to the left of the steering wheel on a Pop Sockets phone holder, and it will hide the cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-04-28 19.35.26.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	30136