Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2024, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22E
State: California
THOR #31946
RV life Style

The reason I want an RV life is to see America. I always live in the suburban bedroom city for good jobs, good school district, safety, and convenience of shopping and entertainment. I had a 38' class A after retirement, but that is great for station in a resort type camp site or national parks, travel around 50 mile circles, and return to home base every night (I do camp in tent sometimes in remote areas when I like the view.)

During my last trips to the 21 Calif. Missions and Rt 66, they were all one night stands, and not some places I want to return every night. So I traveled in my SUV and stayed in the hotels. I also find some of those country roads are narrow and difficult for a 38' with a toad to make a u-turn and some local bridges are limit to 5 tons or under.

So I decided to trade in my 38'-A with a 22'-C with no slide out so I can boondock if I want to. Trailers and 5th wheelers are out of the question, and Class B is too cramped for me and my queen.

Could other members share why you decide to go with your RV or MH? Or if you want to change, what model would you want to buy?

2024 Thor Chateau 22E
RetiredTorng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:26 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTorng View Post
The reason I want an RV life is to see America. I always live in the suburban bedroom city for good jobs, good school district, safety, and convenience of shopping and entertainment. I had a 38' class A after retirement, but that is great for station in a resort type camp site or national parks, travel around 50 mile circles, and return to home base every night (I do camp in tent sometimes in remote areas when I like the view.)

During my last trips to the 21 Calif. Missions and Rt 66, they were all one night stands, and not some places I want to return every night. So I traveled in my SUV and stayed in the hotels. I also find some of those country roads are narrow and difficult for a 38' with a toad to make a u-turn and some local bridges are limit to 5 tons or under.

So I decided to trade in my 38'-A with a 22'-C with no slide out so I can boondock if I want to. Trailers and 5th wheelers are out of the question, and Class B is too cramped for me and my queen.

Could other members share why you decide to go with your RV or MH? Or if you want to change, what model would you want to buy?
26.5 ft thor vegas.
Next Newmar baystar under 30 ft
3 dogs
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:11 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I had a 30 foot C with no slides. Wife wanted a A so that's what we got. I have done three cross country trips in the A plus a ton of short trips and it does well on modern western or southern roads. The only time it gets tight is on old cow paths that some states back east think are public roads. No boon docking though. I would go back to a pop up truck camper if it was just me. Easy to get to spots yet still have a camper type inside.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:20 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
24.1:

The view

massive unequaled storage

Way underweight so it'll hold lots of stuff. Some others just suck.

Slide need not be used.
The slide is a nice addition, not a not nice requirement.
We use the slide less than 1 in 25 stays.

No silly fold up bed.

King or twins, a three minute change over for bed/s.

Length.

Large convertible bathroom.

Takes zero minutes from turning off the engine to fully useable RV.
No slide to put out, no bed to unfurl.

40,000 miles so far, no toad needed.
Fits almost anywhere a dually truck will fit.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:38 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
I've had them all from popups to truck campers, tow haulers, 5th wheels, C's and now an A. The best of them for me would be a 26-28 foot C with a north south island bed. I find the class C easier to get around in, easier to get in, out and under, easier to service, refuel etc. There is a Thor Chateau that fits the bill that caught my eye, but I'm not giving any more money to RV dealers. I'll make do with what I have.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:

We got a B class for drive-ability, park-ability, maneuvering, etc. We're average size people, and after adding 2" to the width of the beds find it ok to sleep in. (Twin bed floor plan)

Biggest reason is park and sleep anywhere, and being vegetarians, something most diners cannot accomodate. I once ordered a Reuben w/o the corned beef, in a diner in Illinois, and thought they were gonna lynch us. So we carry everything we need with us and don't bother diners or hotels with our odd presence... might as well be Martians.

One time drove our Peugeot 505 (very popular in VT in the late 90's) to Illinois to wife's home town, and they thought aliens had landed.

We started with a 2001 Rialta, 21' class C, but decided to get a new rig.

Next time (probly not) would build my own class B, b/c dealers are ripoffs and have no idea how to fix and Thor has no idea how to build a quality RV.

They tried to sell me that $10k extended service plan, and I said NO. Just take that money and invest it and you'll be better off. I had Ford do the hokey pokey dance with that on me, and did not pay off. Never again.

They said anything I fix would not be as good as their work. Right. So far it's been nothing but improvements.

Ask your dealer/ tech if they own an RV. I bet they don't for the most part.
Even my mobile tech doesn't own one. Says he wouldn't have time to do any work on others! There's a hint for you!
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:25 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Started with tents for several years. Then we bought a pickup, added a cap and installed a couple bunks. Bought an 18' fishing boat and hauled our gear in it. Since those days we have had B's, C's and now an A.
Our needs changed as we aged. The B was great when we were young. Downside; not much storage and tight quarters. On the plus side it was easy to haul and back the boat with. The C we had was actually classified as a B+. ( a 22' C with no front overhanging bunk) It was still easy to drive and haul the boat with, but once again had limited storage and making beds up every morning to use the coach got VERY old. Then after retirement we traveled more and sold the boat. Having to break camp every time you wanted sightsee got to be a pain as well.
The A we bought was the smallest true A on the market at a time. Still fairly easy to drive and maneuver around a campground. The storage in an A, plus the extra living space with the slides made up our minds.
At this point in our lives, we don't haul the boat anymore or disperse camp. We tow a Jeep Cherokee. We want the conveniences found in a campground or RV park and then we take the Cherokee out for day excursions.
If we were to unload the ACE we have now the Axis/Vegas 24.1 floorplan looks intriguing.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:42 PM   #8

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
24.1:

The view

massive unequaled storage

Way underweight so it'll hold lots of stuff. Some others just suck.

Slide need not be used.
The slide is a nice addition, not a not nice requirement.
We use the slide less than 1 in 25 stays.

No silly fold up bed.

King or twins, a three minute change over for bed/s.

Length.

Large convertible bathroom.

Takes zero minutes from turning off the engine to fully useable RV.
No slide to put out, no bed to unfurl.

40,000 miles so far, no toad needed.
Fits almost anywhere a dually truck will fit.
Excellent.
Nice convenience!
With 3 dogs, many remote controlled features. Massive inside storage, 2 panties, full clothing closet,easy access massive outside storage. Vegas 25.6 baby
Old 03-20-2024, 04:42 PM   #9

Model: Gemini
State: Oregon
THOR #21423
Class B+ is the way to go

We also boon-dock and jump around a lot and ended up getting a Thor Gemini B+ 23' AWD with the Ford chassis and we love it but....

The slide was junk so I ended up ripping it out and rebuilding the inside of the rig so we could just pull over and eat and sleep without having to worry about putting the slide out and it breaking.

If I were to do it again I would get something like a Coachman cross trail. Ford AWD chassis and no slides
Old 03-21-2024, 04:23 PM   #10

State: Michigan
THOR #31689
Four Winds 28A

My husband and I started with tents then inherited a lovely Coleman pop-up that served our family well. We traveled on summer two-week and weekend trips with our three children for many years and enjoyed every bit of our travels. Now that we are retired, we wanted a little more luxury (and a bathroom we could use in the middle of the night :-) ). Our Four Winds 28A is perfect for us. No slides to worry about, a lovely kitchen, master bath, and even a couch. It feels like a hotel room on wheels.
Truth to tell, we've only been out once but are going on a trip to the Grand Canyon in a few weeks, so I hope my feelings about our purchase holds up to my anticipation.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:13 PM   #11

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianS View Post
My husband and I started with tents then inherited a lovely Coleman pop-up that served our family well. We traveled on summer two-week and weekend trips with our three children for many years and enjoyed every bit of our travels. Now that we are retired, we wanted a little more luxury (and a bathroom we could use in the middle of the night :-) ). Our Four Winds 28A is perfect for us. No slides to worry about, a lovely kitchen, master bath, and even a couch. It feels like a hotel room on wheels.
Truth to tell, we've only been out once but are going on a trip to the Grand Canyon in a few weeks, so I hope my feelings about our purchase holds up to my anticipation.
Congratulations take wine
Old 03-21-2024, 08:59 PM   #12

THOR #31946
Thank you for experience and your comments, congratulate finding your own types of RV. I wish you all happy trails and enjoy your lifes on the road, kicking that bucket list.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-27-2024, 08:01 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Excellent.
Nice convenience!
With 3 dogs, many remote controlled features. Massive inside storage, 2 panties, full clothing closet,easy access massive outside storage. Vegas 25.6 baby
I’m glad both of you have panties!😅
Old 03-27-2024, 09:17 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Hopefully not included in the remote control items list.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:13 AM   #15

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Lol thx
Old 03-28-2024, 10:45 PM   #16

Model: Rize 18M
THOR #28965
Quote:
After 40 years tent/car camping we went with an 18ft class B. Seems roomy compared to the station wagon. Has fridge, kitchen, bathroom, shower, heater, AC, lights, power, action, etc. Sleeps 2, or 3 in a pinch. Fits in driveway up front, 18mpg, easy to drive.

We don't "live" in it, we spend most of the time outside, really just inside for sleeping/cooking. Did a 3 week trip and there was plenty of storage for everything for the 3 of us.

Wouldn't change a thing, but everyone is different. Maybe in some years when I retire and have more time to travel it will change, but I doubt it.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:30 AM   #17

THOR #31946
Seems like real RVers like it small, nothing fancy.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E