Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2023, 05:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #31113
Inverter Breaker Tripped

I am plugged into 30 Amp SP. I ran 3 electric heaters. After a while the fans on the heaters started slowing down and then speeding back up. An hour later they all shut down and I found the inverter breaker tripped.. My panel showed No Service but I checked the plug in receptacle and had 110V.
I turned off the heaters and reset the inverter breaker.. It took a few minutes but the power came back. I only ran 2 heaters the rest of the night without further problems.
My question is does the power monitoring system limit the amps to the rating of the SP plug in?

Old 10-21-2023, 06:08 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Three electric heaters? How many watts for each? That's a lot of juice on a 30amp circuit - especially if you add in a compressor fridge or anything else.

Was your shore power cord getting warm? You probably just exceeded the amperage rating of the inverter.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:18 PM   #3

THOR #31113
The MH has a 50 amp cord. I used a dog bone to plug into the 30 amp receptacle. Each heater draws 12 amps on high, (measured with my amp meter). So yes the 3 total 36 amps.
But everything (except the breaker on the receptacle ) is rated for higher amps. The receptacle breaker did not trip.
So the electrical monitoring system (knowing I’m on 30 amp SP) shuts off SP when the amps exceed 30 amps?
Old 10-21-2023, 07:02 PM   #4

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Depends on the EMS. The Intellitec PowerLine 2004 senses if it is connected to 50, 30 or 20 amp service and limits to what it is connected to. What does your EMS manual state?
Old 10-21-2023, 08:20 PM   #5

THOR #31113
My EMS is Precision Circuits. The manual says it will monitor the total loads and reduce power to appliances or shut them down. It never mentions that it shuts the power off completely.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:08 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM1000 View Post
My EMS is Precision Circuits. The manual says it will monitor the total loads and reduce power to appliances or shut them down. It never mentions that it shuts the power off completely.
So many unknowns:

Year/Make/Model of RV
Make/Capacity of inverter
What circuits the 3 heaters were plugged into.

I suspect two heaters were plugged into the inverter circuit.
When overloaded, the EMS shut down at least that circuit
But since the inverter is there it ried to pickup the load, overloaded, and tripped it's breaker.

Moral of story - don't try to run over 40 amps on a 30 amp supply circuit. You can't rely on the safety features to prevent the RV from going up like a tinder box.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote