Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2024, 09:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22E
State: California
THOR #31946
Winegard Confusion

When I purchased my 2024 Class C RV, I was told I need to subscribe mobile service to make it work, so I subscribed. But later I remembered the dealer was able to demonstrate to me the TV can receive news channels even before I purchased the RV and subscribed mobile service. When I installed the SIM card, I found there is an orange SIM card already there. So my question is, what does that original SIM card do? I am not interested in movies, I just need local TV stations and weather stations, and WiFi access for my computer. Do I really need to spend $60 a month for the mobile SIM card? What can you get using Winegard without mobile service? Thanks for your advices.

2024 Thor Chateau 22E
RetiredTorng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
First - Winegard is a manufacture - there is no product called "Winegard"
Second - they make a variety of products from Directional OTA (Over The Air) TV antennas to super wham-a-dyne All-In-One bolt on the roof transcievers for satellite, OTA, and cell signals.

Realize that OTA TV has nothing to do with, and does not require any cell/internet service.

So you likely have a ConnecT 2.0 4G+ which receives OTA TV signals, Cell based Internet with a service plan, and can access/amplify/repeat WIFI signals from another source like the campground WIFI.

All these functions are independent of each other.

The SIM card included is used if you want to buy a Cell Internet Plan from Winegard. It is replaced by the ATT, TMOBILE, Verizon, ETC SIM card if you buy a plan elsewhere. Again - this has nothing to do with the OTA TV function.

Hopefully that makes a little sense.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:02 PM   #3

THOR #31946
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
First - Winegard is a manufacture - there is no product called "Winegard"
Second - they make a variety of products from Directional OTA (Over The Air) TV antennas to super wham-a-dyne All-In-One bolt on the roof transcievers for satellite, OTA, and cell signals.

Realize that OTA TV has nothing to do with, and does not require any cell/internet service.

So you likely have a ConnecT 2.0 4G+ which receives OTA TV signals, Cell based Internet with a service plan, and can access/amplify/repeat WIFI signals from another source like the campground WIFI.

All these functions are independent of each other.

The SIM card included is used if you want to buy a Cell Internet Plan from Winegard. It is replaced by the ATT, TMOBILE, Verizon, ETC SIM card if you buy a plan elsewhere. Again - this has nothing to do with the OTA TV function.

Hopefully that makes a little sense.
Thanks for your explenation. Yes, I have a ConnecT 2.0 4G+, and I purchased a T-Mobile service plan to have WiFi access for both my TV and WiFi access.

Now if I buy an Over-the-Air TV device to hook on my TV, don't use WiFi access for my local TV access, will I save the subscribed WiFi GB access for my computer access only?
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-27-2024, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredTorng View Post
Thanks for your explenation. Yes, I have a ConnecT 2.0 4G+, and I purchased a T-Mobile service plan to have WiFi access for both my TV and WiFi access.

Now if I buy an Over-the-Air TV device to hook on my TV, don't use WiFi access for my local TV access, will I save the subscribed WiFi GB access for my computer access only?
There is nothing more to buy. Your Connect 2.0 4G+ has an integrated omni-directional OTA TV antenna integrated into the housing on the roof. That should be connected via CATV COAX cable to all your TVs in the RV. You will need to go into the settings menu on each TV and have it scan for TV channels each time you change location.

Do you have the manual for your Connect 2? Here's the installation/operation manual.

https://winegard.com/content/pdf/2452403.pdf
Old 03-28-2024, 05:47 AM   #5

THOR #31946
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
There is nothing more to buy. Your Connect 2.0 4G+ has an integrated omni-directional OTA TV antenna integrated into the housing on the roof. That should be connected via CATV COAX cable to all your TVs in the RV. You will need to go into the settings menu on each TV and have it scan for TV channels each time you change location.

Do you have the manual for your Connect 2? Here's the installation/operation manual.

https://winegard.com/content/pdf/2452403.pdf
Thanks for your great advice. However, I believe my TV access these channels through the WiFi of my SIM subscription, that internet access will count for the 60 GB of myT-Mobile SIM subscription. I was thinking if I can buy a separate OTA antanna, get the local TV channels without using the 60GB subscription, I will be able to use all the 60GB subscription for my computer internet access. Will it work?

On the other hand, can I use my smartphone hot spot for my computer internet access? If both works, I really don't need to this SIM card subscription, do I? Any problems I may run into?

Thanks for your advice.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-28-2024, 09:53 AM   #6

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Thanks for your great advice. However, I believe my TV access these channels through the WiFi of my SIM subscription, that internet access will count for the 60 GB of myT-Mobile SIM subscription. I was thinking if I can buy a separate OTA antanna, get the local TV channels without using the 60GB subscription, I will be able to use all the 60GB subscription for my computer internet access. Will it work?

On the other hand, can I use my smartphone hot spot for my computer internet access? If both works, I really don't need to this SIM card subscription, do I? Any problems I may run into?

Thanks for your advice.
You do not seem to be understanding what ACE is telling you. Let me try.

The Winegard Connect 2.0 on your roof is THREE things in one package.

1. Over the Air Omni directional television antenna for receiving free local telelvision stations. Note the words LOCAL.

2. WiFi booster for local WiFi signals like the campground you are staying in or say McDonalds, etc. You must use a laptop computer and a browser like Google Chrome to find out which local WiFi signals are free and select one to connet to. This is explained in the manual for the Winegard Connet 2.0.

NOTE ITEMS 1 and 2 ABOVE ARE FREE AND WILL WORK WITHOUT ANY SUBSCRIPTION. TO USE THE OVER THE AIR TELEVISON ANTENNNA YOU MUST HAVE THE GREEN LIGHT ON ON THE CABLE/ANTENNA PANEL. YOU ALSO MUST HAVE YOUR TELEVISON SELECTED TO OVER THE AIR WHICH IS USUALL "TV" AND NOT ONE OF THE HDMI INPUTS. YOU ALSO MUST DO A SCAN FOR TELEVISON SIGNALS ON YOUR TELEVISION TO FIND THE CHANNELS AVAILBE TO WATCH IN THE AREA YOU ARE IN.

3. Is a cell tower based internet connection that you must pay for. It will apperar on the Winegard Connect Router and you can connect several devices like your laptop and television to the internet thru that router. You must pay for this one and that is what your SIM card is for.

Remember to watch free over the air television you must change the input on your television and scan for local channels. You must do this each time you change camping locations.

ALSO NOTE THAT YOU CAN ONLY DO 2 OR 3 AND NOT 2 AND 3 AT THE SAME TIME. IF YOU DO WIFI THEN THE CELE PHONE BASED INTERNET WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:15 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Thanks for your advice.
You believe wrong. Internet access and OTA TV have NOTHING to do with each other.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:56 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
Maybe some of the confusion is that "local channels" can mean different things. Of course both are the same but there can be a slight twist.

When one has cable TV, satellite (Dish for example), or a wifi TV package (Hulu, YouTubeTV) then "local channels refers to the local channels in your home viewing area where you live. You get these channels on your TV through the internet, cable, or satellite service. Let's call them home channels.

"Local channels" when you travel refers to whatever local stations are in the area that you are in. They change every time you move to a new area. Call them on the road channels.

Wherever you travel, your Winegard will pick up the broadcasters in that area - the on the road channels. You don't need to pay anything. You do have to adjust your set and search for them as the poster above explains.

The Winegard can also give you internet service if you pay for it (the SIM card) which would give you your home channels with services like YouTubeTV. It will not give you home channels if you have a satellite service like Dish or DirecTv at home.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:11 PM   #9

THOR #31946
Thank you Bob, Ace & Cactus. I think I now have better understanding of Winegard's capability.

1- Winegard gets the Over-The-Air channels automatically, not through WiFi. So selecting these channels will not use my mobile WiFi subscription capacity which I can use for my computer internet access exclusively. I do need to reset the TV channels when I travel around different locations. This local TV access is free, but I need to pay for computer internet access.

2- Without a WiFi subscription, I can have WiFi "booster" access for my computer through public free WiFi locations like McDonalds, camp sites or libraries. This may have security issue and may not work when I boondock in remote areas. This computer intenet access is free, no need to subscribe a SIM card.

3- Or I can subscribe a mobile WiFi SIM card service for the Winegard for my computer through the cell tower. This will have security protection but still won't work when I boondock in remote areas. #2 and #3 are exclusive to each other.

4- One way to ensure I have secure access to WiFi service anywhere and in a remote area is through Starlink subscription.

5- Another way to access internet from my computer is through the hotspots of my cell phone, and use #1 option for my free local TV access only. There is no additional cost to me as long as I have enough capacity with my cell phone plan.

This is my understanding. Thank you for all your help. Any comment is welcomed.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-28-2024, 05:47 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you Bob, Ace & Cactus. I think I now have better understanding of Winegard's capability.

1- Winegard gets the Over-The-Air channels automatically, not through WiFi. So selecting these channels will not use my mobile WiFi subscription capacity which I can use for my computer internet access exclusively. I do need to reset the TV channels when I travel around different locations. This local TV access is free, but I need to pay for computer internet access.

2- Without a WiFi subscription, I can have WiFi "booster" access for my computer through public free WiFi locations like McDonalds, camp sites or libraries. This may have security issue and may not work when I boondock in remote areas. This computer intenet access is free, no need to subscribe a SIM card.

3- Or I can subscribe a mobile WiFi SIM card service for the Winegard for my computer through the cell tower. This will have security protection but still won't work when I boondock in remote areas. #2 and #3 are exclusive to each other.

4- One way to ensure I have secure access to WiFi service anywhere and in a remote area is through Starlink subscription.

5- Another way to access internet from my computer is through the hotspots of my cell phone, and use #1 option for my free local TV access only. There is no additional cost to me as long as I have enough capacity with my cell phone plan.

This is my understanding. Thank you for all your help. Any comment is welcomed.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:32 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
To realize the full value of winegard;
Disconnect it and hotspot through your phone or get a tmobile router if you feel the need.

If the silly thing had value
I'd have two of them.

Winegard is an archaic 'do all' upsell point of purchase finance department/builder tool and little else.

Before hotspot and understandings existed, it was the go to.

It is now NEVER a first or even second choice.
Anything other than rv park internet service is almost assuredly a better choice.
A veritable 1975 encyclopedia brittanica vs Google scenario.

Much like AOL email addresses, it's a usable dinosaur.

Honest, drop it off of your
'I have to deal with this'
List.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:46 PM   #12

THOR #31946
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Disconnect it and hotspot through your phone or get a tmobile router if you feel the need.

I'd have two of them.

Winegard is an archaic 'do all' upsell point of purchase finance department/builder tool and little else.

Anything other than rv park internet service is almost assuredly a better choice.

List.
Thanks for your advice Duckface. If not the 1st or 2nd choice, what are the alternatives you would recommend and the advantages & disadvantages over Winegard? I'm all ears to learn.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-28-2024, 07:01 PM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I have a write up of the three different brands of,phone/Wi-Fi boosters we own.
I say this so you won't think my recommendations flippant.

We hotspot on our phones.
If we go over our base 15g, we just buy more as we go over. This makes it kind of a travel plan that we do not have to call in or sign out or do anything but continue on as we do. On a 30 day trip it,might cost us $60, or nothing.
But, internet is in my pocket. If one of us is not in the RV, the rv has no internet for the blink monitors.

An unlimited plan would potentially be better, but the cost is,more than how we do it now.

I used to, before Verizon got stupid about what was 4g and what wasn't, had a Verizon router in the RV. Same 15g plan, it lived off of a phone number I had had for 35 years. It parked on the router and forwarded calls to my new number. There was no value other than keeping the old number alive
AND
It kept internet within the rv for the blink cameras and such to he remotely monitored.

There is no upside to winegard over anything except hughes net.

If you're going to pay for winegard to work,
Step up to starlink instead.

Starlink works my phone through the internet meaning I always have cell service even if I don't.

Get someone here to tout winegard.
Read the empty spaces as well as the words. They'll tell of setup and tear down and start overs and technical education...unwanted.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:12 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Starlink works my phone through the internet meaning I always have cell service even if I don't.

Get someone here to tout winegard.
Read the empty spaces as well as the words. They'll tell of setup and tear down and start overs and technical education...unwanted.
I know what you mean but I think that will blow a lot of peoples' minds.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:31 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 32N
THOR #23246
Quote:

I'd have two of them.

List.
Well, it is convenient. Flip the switch and it comes on. But service is expensive and limited to 4GLTE in a 5G world.

I'm looking to get rid of my batwing and replace it with a Winegard Air 360 which is sort of the aftermarket version of the Connect gizmo. It comes optionally with 4G LTE antenna to which one can add the router. Like you though, I am having a hard time seeing the value in that. A 5G mifi router costs less with a new line from my provider.

I do want the cool omni antenna. But should I spring for another 20 bucks and get the Plus version that has provisions for someday adding the router? Seems a waste of 20 bucks.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:59 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJuice View Post
Well, it is convenient. Flip the switch and it comes on. But service is expensive and limited to 4GLTE in a 5G world.

I'm looking to get rid of my batwing and replace it with a Winegard Air 360 which is sort of the aftermarket version of the Connect gizmo. It comes optionally with 4G LTE antenna to which one can add the router. Like you though, I am having a hard time seeing the value in that. A 5G mifi router costs less with a new line from my provider.

I do want the cool omni antenna. But should I spring for another 20 bucks and get the Plus version that has provisions for someday adding the router? Seems a waste of 20 bucks.
Do that only if you want to receive less OTA channels.

And 5G doesn't exist in most camping areas - it's an urban product that is creeping slowly along the interstate arteries into suburbia, but will never go much further than that due to its limited range. Most people with 5G gizmos are on 4G most of the time and don't even realize it.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:03 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Makes one heck of a wifi political statement ssid projecter!!
Old 03-29-2024, 04:05 AM   #18

THOR #31946
Really appreciate so many great advices from senior members. A little bit over my head, but I think I got the basic right. I am sure I will come back and revisit this thread and learn something every time I visit this, and also learn more alternatives from other similar posts. Thanks to all of you for the contributions.
2024 Thor Chateau 22E
Old 03-29-2024, 10:34 AM   #19
HAA

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #31545
My 2023 Thor Axis 24.1 also came with the Winegard 2.0 4G antenna device on the roof. It brings in "free" OTA TV channels as others mentioned. Most of the channels are jittery, which must have to do with the locations I have been in.
I tried getting the cellular part of it to work using a Verizon Hot Spot Sim card and it would not connect.
The Winegard plans for their SIM card are expensive. I ended up getting a Hotpot device from Verizon which is inside of the RV. It works well and the data is 300 GB per month which is way more than we need.

In my opinion the Winegard is a small boat anchor or not more than a glorified OTA antenna. However the Winegard support people are nice and helpful should you ever need to talk to them, the number is 800-288-8094.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:27 PM   #20

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Really appreciate so many great advices from senior members. A little bit over my head, but I think I got the basic right. I am sure I will come back and revisit this thread and learn something every time I visit this, and also learn more alternatives from other similar posts. Thanks to all of you for the contributions.
When you do come back, just explain what it is you would like to do... there will be more than enough advice given on how to do it.