Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Delano 24TT
State: Florida
THOR #24507
Thin mattress on 22 Delano

Has anyone tried changing out the 4 inch thick mattress for a 6 inch one on a 2022 Delano 24 TT ? It is a queen bed that folds in half when you put the slide in. There is definitely room for the extra 2 inches.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemcb View Post
Has anyone tried changing out the 4 inch thick mattress for a 6 inch one on a 2022 Delano 24 TT ? It is a queen bed that folds in half when you put the slide in. There is definitely room for the extra 2 inches.
We have essentially the same "fold-up bed" layout. We just put a thick memory foam topper on it. The topper easily folds (flops) over with folding of the base mattress.

We have a motorized tilting bed frame at home, and sleep with the head slightly raised. I built a wedge to place under the head of the RV mattress to mimic our home's bed setup.

The combo of the memory foam topper and the "head riser" makes the RV sleeping experience VERY CLOSE in comfort as home!
Old 10-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #3

Model: Thor Delano 24TT
State: Florida
THOR #24507
That sounds like a great idea. My wife tried to tell me about trying that but I thought it would just fall off. Thanks for the tip. I also have to have a lot of the wood slats replaced as they were bad right from the factory. Some were broke and others were just flat or loose. All part of the buying new process unfortunately.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #4

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemcb View Post
That sounds like a great idea. My wife tried to tell me about trying that but I thought it would just fall off. Thanks for the tip. I also have to have a lot of the wood slats replaced as they were bad right from the factory. Some were broke and others were just flat or loose. All part of the buying new process unfortunately.
Ours is solid plywood underneath... no slats.
Here's how we do it:
Put the memory foam mattress on. Then put a mattress topper with elastic edging over the whole works... tuck it under the edge of the regular mattress - just like at home. The mattress topper will add to the comfort, but most of all it will hold the memory foam in place.

Now... if we could figure out an easier way to make the bed!!
Old 10-15-2021, 12:02 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Utah
THOR #19910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Ours is solid plywood underneath... no slats.
Now... if we could figure out an easier way to make the bed!!
After having the same issue in every rig we've owned, we finally took a chance on Beddy's. Think fancy sleeping bag cum integrated sheets and blanket for your RV. Once you get it on, you just zip and unzip.

They actually make them for regular beds, but their king size set fits our RV King mattress pretty snugly with a couple of sheet tighteners (those thing that look like garter belt nylon grabbers).

They also make warm and cold weather sets. Pricey, but worth the cost for us.
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi (TOAD!)
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Greybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:14 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
I used a three inch memory foam topper:
https://smile.amazon.com/RUUF-Mattre.../dp/B0868JCZ2L

It comes with a cover and has corner straps built in to hold it in place. Works great on the folding mattress and helps a lot with comfort.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
For sheets, I use these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K2ABK8

Normally only the bottom sheet is fitted, but with these, the top sheet is also fitted on one end which helps it stay in place. The quality is also really good. They're not really any easier to make though. For putting on the fitted sheet, I just crawl onto the bottom part of the mattress and flip up the top part and fit the sheet on both corners, then get back off and fit the bottom corners. For the top sheet, I fit the bottom, then pull it up.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:26 AM   #8

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybear View Post
After having the same issue in every rig we've owned, we finally took a chance on Beddy's. Think fancy sleeping bag cum integrated sheets and blanket for your RV. Once you get it on, you just zip and unzip.

They actually make them for regular beds, but their king size set fits our RV King mattress pretty snugly with a couple of sheet tighteners (those thing that look like garter belt nylon grabbers).

They also make warm and cold weather sets. Pricey, but worth the cost for us.
A YouTuber mentioned those in a video. Very interesting! How have they held up? Is washing difficult... any more so than a regular sheets/blanket/comforter set? Our "glamping" is mostly warm weather, except for a couple cool weather trips. So I assume you can just unzip and throw the top cover off?
Old 10-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #9

THOR #19910
Quote:
A YouTuber mentioned those in a video. Very interesting! How have they held up? Is washing difficult... any more so than a regular sheets/blanket/comforter set? Our "glamping" is mostly warm weather, except for a couple cool weather trips. So I assume you can just unzip and throw the top cover off?
So far they have held up well but we haven't had them very long. We bought two sets, a light set for warm weather, and a "minkie" set for colder weather.

Washing is easy. You just separate the top and bottom and run them through a cold wash. They suggest you use a bit of vinegar on the first wash to set the colors so they don't bleed, but ours are pretty neutral anyway.

Yes, you can completely remove the top from the bottom. The warm weather set is pretty light, and they've sewn a skirt around the top so it keep you covered even if you unzip it all the way.

The best part for RVer's is that once you put it on, the zippers make it a breeze to re-make the bed without having to move the darn mattress or try to shoehorn the sheets between the night tables.
2013 Harley FLHCUI
Old 10-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #10

THOR #16721
Sounds like the "summer version" would be great for us! We always keep extra blankets in the MH just in case of a really cold night... but then we also have the two hairy mutts to add extra heat - AND hog the bed!
Old 10-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #11

THOR #19910
Quote:
Sounds like the "summer version" would be great for us! We always keep extra blankets in the MH just in case of a really cold night... but then we also have the two hairy mutts to add extra heat - AND hog the bed!
We're down to one mutt, but we somehow grew a cat! You haven't lived 'til you've gone long distance with a fussy feline...
2013 Harley FLHCUI