Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2024, 01:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #26809
Analog to Digital

Have a 2022 Quantum SE22. I want to change the analog thermostat that operates the furnace to a digital to operate the furnace and the non duct Coleman Mach A/C. I understand I would need a new control box for the A/C. My concern would be running the thermostat wire from the ceiling AC to the wall thermostat. Total distance to run in ceiling is probably less than 5' then maybe 3 ' down wall to thermostat location. Need idea of how to run thermostat wire, is their space between ceiling and roof ? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-04-2024, 02:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Dozens of people on this Forum alone have changed their analog thermostats to digital thermostats without doing anything to the A/C controller or the thermostat wiring. You may be the first, but let's start with what thermostat and model A/C do you have now?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:16 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
My understanding is that a thermostat - whether analog or digital - is just a switch... or technically multiple switches. The devices it controls (A/C, furnace) doesn't care about the type of switch. It's either a closed circuit=ON or open circuit=OFF. You could technically remove the thermostat and touch wires together yourself and the furnace or A/C would gleefully obey.

Your furnace and/or A/C may be capable of multiple fan speeds, so if you want to maintain that function your thermostat must have that capability - and thus extra wires.

So... you can replace your thermostat with just about any big box store name brand one (Honeywell, etc.) BUT be aware of the features - primarily the fan speed feature. Also, going that route may present a challenge matching different wire colors.

This is why many folks stick with the Coleman-Mach brand because it's a straight conversion with color matching wires.

Bottom line... all you need to do is get the appropriate digital thermostat with the desired bells and whistles. Remove your old analog slider one... wire in the new one... and you're done! Easy peasy!

EDIT: So to clarify... your CURRENT thermostat DOESN'T control the air conditioner? But it DOES control the furnace? In re-reading your post that's what I'm understanding. If so... yes you would need to run wires.

I would start by researching the exact model of your A/C unit to find if that's even possible.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:19 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickneast View Post
Have a 2022 Quantum SE22. I want to change the analog thermostat that operates the furnace to a digital to operate the furnace and the non duct Coleman Mach A/C. I understand I would need a new control box for the A/C. My concern would be running the thermostat wire from the ceiling AC to the wall thermostat. Total distance to run in ceiling is probably less than 5' then maybe 3 ' down wall to thermostat location. Need idea of how to run thermostat wire, is their space between ceiling and roof ? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick
The question is whether you even have a Thermostat wire since the purpose of that wire is to have a remote temperature sensor.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:24 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
I changed the Coleman Mach analog to the one shown below.

Both of these have a place for a remote sensor but that was not used on either of my AC units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Thermostat.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	44693   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Digital Thermostat installed.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	44694  

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

EDIT: So to clarify... your CURRENT thermostat DOESN'T control the air conditioner? But it DOES control the furnace? In re-reading your post that's what I'm understanding. If so... yes you would need to run wires.

I would start by researching the exact model of your A/C unit to find if that's even possible.
Good catch. I missed the "Non-ducted A/C". So his current A/C is the two knob controlled version and he wants to make it a thermostat controlled A/C. Depending on the A/C he needs to swap the his current ceiling assembly for one that reads like:

"Non-Ducted w/Wall Thermostat: Ceiling Assembly 65546, Electric Heat Kit (Opt.) 67306, Wall Thermostat 60277, Cool-Only Control Package 65346, heat-Cool Control Package 65345 plus 67306"

But for his A/C model.

AND run thermostat wires for the A/C.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:20 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickneast View Post
Thanks,
Rick
You are correct that you need a A/C control box if you are going to use a remote thermostat. Generally there is a chase for the 120 volt 12 awg Romex from the A/C to the power center where the A/Cs circuit breaker is located. The A/C control cable follows the Romex until under the floor where it runs to a hollow wall, then up the hollow wall to the thermostat.

Then I installed the second A/C in my coach I mounted the second thermostat on the shower/bedroom's hollow wall. The A/Cs control cable ran across the ceiling's chase to the right wall and down the wall's chase to the open area behind the water heater following the A/Cs Romex. From there the control cable ran under the floor over to the hollow wall then up to the thermostat. 12 volt power was there for the bedroom's light switch.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:35 AM   #8

State: Virginia
THOR #26809
That sounds like it, thanks Beau388