Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
New Tellaro Key Fob(s)

The dealer we purchased from only provided one key for the motorhome and did not have the Thule Bike rack keys. When I originally asked they said Thor did not provide any other keys but they would look into it. They are in the process of trying to get our bike rack keys but have not received two weeks later. I asked again about the extra Van Key (Fob) and was advised that Thor only gave them one. I spoke with the sales person today who said she was trying to work this out with Thor but we would be responsible for paying for the second key if we wanted one. Really. I have purchased several new cars in my lifetime and have always received two keys. I plan to check with them ( the dealer who sold the motorhome ) but feel like we should have received two keys without having to pay an extra charge? Was wondering if everyone else purchasing a new Tellaro received two keys?

Old 05-24-2022, 09:33 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You're being jacked around by the dealer.
My unrelated older rack has a little number next to to the lock.
Thule sent me a key for $11 I think eBay has them also.

I can't help with the fob but if it's under $50, spend $50 to rid yourself if that dealer/sales person.

$66ish erases the discontent.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #3

THOR #26907
Yes that was my thought exactly. I wish I could just buy from the manufacturer and skip the whole dealer thing when buying a motorhome. Ridiculous cause they didn't know anything about it anyway but provided information that proved to be false. I tried to find a key number on the bike rack lock without success. I guess just paying them to process paperwork...Problem is these key fobs once programmed by the Dodge dealer can run a few hundred dollars and don't want to let the dealer "off the hook" since I probably paid too much for this thing anyway....I have never purchased a new car and only received one key.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I agree with Ducksface. All MHs are delivered with two sets of ALL keys. The Dealer has lost the bag with the spare set and bike rack keys. It's their responsibility to provide you with two full sets of keys.

BTW, did you get a bag with paper manuals/warranty cards for all the appliances and other components for your coach? If not, that's where the missing keys are as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:11 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
https://help.thule.com/s/article/I-v...language=en_US
And
https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/d...gaAlrIEALw_wcB

Some last resort type help above. REI stores might have such a thing as a Thule master key.
You have a nice writing style and a valid complaint with a good attitude.

Good luck.

Your dealer needs spanked.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:26 PM   #6

THOR #26907
I did get the bag with the manuals etc. Messed up they want to charge me for their error. I will make sure they get the key without having to pay extra. Thanks for positive comments and replies!
I usually am a more "difficult customer" when dealing with these folks regarding price etc. but made their job easy. I guess I am getting softer in my old age.... Finance guy really irritated me however with his interest rate that was originally ridiculous. He said he had to "check" regarding lowering the interest rate and then just lowered it when I told him "no way" and started to leave. What a racket!!! Didn't even get kissed (jk).
Old 05-25-2022, 12:16 AM   #7

THOR #26598
Same happened to me. Ultimately it was found in the gas cap door. Look EVERYWHERE in the coach. I was give 2 full sets of keys and fobs (once they found the other one on delivery day in the gas cap compartment)
Old 05-27-2022, 01:09 PM   #8

THOR #26907
Salesperson called me yesterday to let me know they are sending me the bike rack keys. She said they checked with Thor and that new vehicles only come with one key fob. Really.... That is not what Thor Customer service told me a few days ago. I let her know this and she said they were working to get me one at her/their expense. Almost like they are doing me some kind of favor after spending over 100k already. This is the kind of behavior that makes me dislike dealers....
Old 05-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
Salesperson called me yesterday to let me know they are sending me the bike rack keys. She said they checked with Thor and that new vehicles only come with one key fob. Really.... That is not what Thor Customer service told me a few days ago. I let her know this and she said they were working to get me one at her/their expense. Almost like they are doing me some kind of favor after spending over 100k already. This is the kind of behavior that makes me dislike dealers....
Glad it worked out for you. I am like you, I have very little respect for most Dealers (Auto or RVs). I always lay out my ground rules with the Sales Manager BEFORE going to Finance. Even so, it is always a hassle and I don't even Finance. I always go in expecting the absolute worst and it is usually slightly better than that.

You might consider ordering a spare set of all of your keys anyway. We got 2 of everything like we should have, but I have a full 3rd set in hidden lock box. My wife and I use the other 2 sets. You would be amazed at how often we used the 3rd set

You do not have to have your keys programmed at a dealer. Our Cadillac dealer wanted $400 for XT5 Fob I found a brand new one on ebay for $75; went to one of those tiny kiosk in a shopping center waking the guy up, told him what I wanted and $50 later we were in business
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #10

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyWaggin View Post
Same happened to me. Ultimately it was found in the gas cap door. Look EVERYWHERE in the coach. I was give 2 full sets of keys and fobs (once they found the other one on delivery day in the gas cap compartment)
Forgot to mention, Thor advised me they typically hide a key in the coach that is not available to the owner for purposes of “emergency start”. Don’t know if I like that and was somewhat surprised but thought I would mention. Would like to at least know where it is but they couldn’t/wouldn’t tell me. I also tried to start it without the key fob to test the theory but would not start. Wondering if any of this makes sense or anyone else has heard of this?
Old 06-21-2022, 07:49 PM   #11

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
Three weeks later but the update is this. The keys they sent me to the bike rack didn't work. After much aggravation and double talk from the dealer, I think they just sent something to act like they were solving the problem. I ended up going to a key shop who was smart enough to make a key that worked without a copy to use or key number. Still waiting from the dealer on the Key Fob since I only have one. Called Thor customer service back who now has a completely different story. Thor is now saying they only provide one key fob with new vehicles and it is my responsibility to purchase another one for about $400 after programming costs. After looking up my data the representative says Ford only sends one key. I reminded the representative this was on a Dodge Chassis but said it is still the customers responsibility to pay for a second key fob. I really don't think Thor or these large dealers could give a crap about customer service once they make the sale.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:13 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
To this day and over 100 vehicles purchased I have never only received one key or one key fob (including the new Fords)

Tuscany had two of everything, about 5 keys and three different fobs x 2

Even for the farm equipment they give you two although many are like compartment keys, they might fit all the models

Something has either changed or is wrong with this scenario
Old 06-21-2022, 08:33 PM   #13

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
To this day and over 100 vehicles purchased I have never only received one key or one key fob (including the new Fords)

Tuscany had two of everything, about 5 keys and three different fobs x 2

Even for the farm equipment they give you two although many are like compartment keys, they might fit all the models

Something has either changed or is wrong with this scenario
Agreed. I have not had this problem in the past and like you never only received 1 key and purchased many new vehicles but a dealer just advised me that some of the newer Dodge Vans were shipped with one key because of the "chip" shortage.
I finally spoke with a manager at the dealer where I purchased the new van to agree to "reimburse" me for the cost of the fob and programming. Just got a quote for right at $300. After spending well over 100k there don't think that is too much to ask!
Traveling as we do it seems important to have more than one key.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:53 PM   #14

THOR #26907
I have found out that the key fobs for the new pro masters are not available and you have to special order them. Wait time could be 90 days according to my local dealer. He found several at a dealer in Ohio but the dealer would not part with one because he says he has "fleet obligations".
Old 06-29-2022, 11:05 AM   #15

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
My Sprinter based Thor Sanctuary 19P came with four Fob's & two sets of all the other keys needed for the RV including two sets for the Bike Rack .

The chip shortage probably has something to do with it .
Old 06-29-2022, 09:58 PM   #16

Model: Tellaro 20A
THOR #26167
My Tellaro is a 2022 20A, we got two fobs. Initially guys said it i ky came with one, we found the other one in the black bag. Please, who only provides one key with all the money they make on the RVs. I’d prefer to provide the darn key up front and charge me for it than being cheap and causing me aggravation.

Glad you’re on track to a solution, let me know if you have other issues or coach questions. They leave out a lot, and we learned a lot through trial and error.