Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #10500
Blizzard coming

Note now they are predicting 30” or more of snow for Denver and vicinity Thursday-Sunday this week!

Old 03-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbatschke@gmail.com View Post
Sorry if someone else covered this. It looked like most just discussed mountain towing. We stayed at our son's house in Monument (about 6600ft) last summer. By day 2 the genny was not running well. Having failed to properly read the manual (I admit), I hadn't realized there are altitude settings on the front of the unit. Set altitude to 6k and it worked great. Not sure how high you can go and operate successfully but 6600 was fine.
You are exactly right

But actually, and not surprisingly 16ACE27 suggested to reference the manual. It hurt, but I did it

What I learned is that some Onan Gensets have a High Altitude kit installed to do what you say. Not sure if I am lucky, or if they are on most all; but I did find the kit on mine. I had NEVER seen before. It is right in front where you can't miss.

My adjustment is to 5,000 feet. I will try to avoid use of genset in Colorado, but if I do; I will set to 5,000 feet.

The way I read it, if you don't have the setting you will lose 3.5% of power for every 1000 ft of climb, and also have some emissions issues.

Has anyone ever heard me say I love Onan... with the AGS EC-30 the easy oil & filter changes, never need to use prime bottom it is my favorite toy on the RV next to the cupholders
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210310_142356_001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	29041  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:55 PM   #43

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncii View Post
If you need a place to park while you are there I would recommend Cherry Creek State Park. It is very clean and well maintained. Located just south of Denver with easy access into Denver. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfh View Post
Have been to and through Denver 6 times over the past 4 years.

Have not been able to find a decent RV park near Denver but i'm sure they are there (someone here will probably be able to identify one).

Gas has not been an issue.

Enjoy your trip.
Cherry Creek State Park had no openings. We got a site at Chatfield State Park right Southwest of Denver on the lake It was the last spot While I asking questions about the Sewer dump facility, which they have one that is open; the Camp Ranger could NOT believe it was available for this weekend. 50 amp pull through on the lake; so we should be good. I am bringing extra electric heaters. Being plugged up, I should not need the generator but I may change that altitude setting and fire it up, just so I can say I did it...

I did re-winterize the RV yesterday. I didn't wish to risk an emergency dumping and winterization in the cold.

Only thing in question now is where do we stop on the way top Denver? Dumas, TX was out in front but now we are thinking Clayton NM.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-10-2021, 09:00 PM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Denver Colorado is Pot Head ground Zero. What job did your son take there? Are you safe there? No more or less than any other large metropolitan city in the US except LA, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Houston, Detroit and other blighted large cities with a plethora of bottom feeders. Just exercise good judgement and all will be fine.
He is an Engineer with Stryker, followed my career path; we are very proud of him. He is also a Eagle Scout; so Denver will be a dream for him; and as you can see: we may fun out of too. Just glad I can take the RV.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwate View Post
If ur concerned about driving thru the mountains, I would think going N to Kansas than west to Denver would be a much better route. I don’t remember eastern Colorado as being mountainous. It seems like it is more like a gradual climb to Denver’s elevation. I don’t know if we are doing it right, but we only use tow haul for mountainous areas so I’m not sure why u are using it in Dallas. Not being critical just saying that’s why I don’t need a super tow haul for the mountains. We have never had to adjust anything due to Denver’s elevation.
Our son drove both ways from Amarillo to Denver and vice versa. He says the way through Raton Pueblo and Colorado Springs is the way to go. The mountains we will see will be similar top Boston Mountains that we have seen before. He thought the other route was too dangerous as it was a lot of 2 lane highway and being in RV behind cars is tough proposition, Of course when you get to 70 it would be okay. I also want the scenic view of the mountains.

I push tow haul every time I think about it regardless of where I am or going. While Ford designed F-53 feature for towing and hauling, the fact that you put a 30 ft house on top of it all the time qualifies as major league towing and hauling
Old 03-10-2021, 09:15 PM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pholden44 View Post
Note now they are predicting 30” or more of snow for Denver and vicinity Thursday-Sunday this week!
Oh yeah only 2 1/2 ft We survived the Texas Freeze, that white fluffy powder snow stuff may be Childs Play for us
Old 03-10-2021, 10:16 PM   #47

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
You are exactly right

But actually, and not surprisingly 16ACE27 suggested to reference the manual. It hurt, but I did it

What I learned is that some Onan Gensets have a High Altitude kit installed to do what you say. Not sure if I am lucky, or if they are on most all; but I did find the kit on mine. I had NEVER seen before. It is right in front where you can't miss.

My adjustment is to 5,000 feet. I will try to avoid use of genset in Colorado, but if I do; I will set to 5,000 feet.

The way I read it, if you don't have the setting you will lose 3.5% of power for every 1000 ft of climb, and also have some emissions issues.

Has anyone ever heard me say I love Onan... with the AGS EC-30 the easy oil & filter changes, never need to use prime bottom it is my favorite toy on the RV next to the cupholders
I’m on my third Onan generator and frequently use them at 7,000 ft and higher. Never saw that adjustment! I’ll check it out.

I use the generator as little as possible which may be why I’ve had no issues. I almost never camp in places with shore power.

Re the F53, which I have, you will find it runs fine at altitude on 85 octane. But Ford is pretty hard nosed in the manual about using 87 octane. So lately I grin and bear the extra price...which often is 30 or more cents per gallon extra where 85 is considered regular ( > 3000 ft. ).

85 octane is fine at altitude in machines with carburetors...it compensates for less air density. But computer controlled fuel injection, like modern vehicle engines, makes its own adjustment so Ford takes this stance vs retesting with 85. Likely driven by EPA.

The F53 transmission setpoints adapt to driving conditions. You will find it gets better after a couple of passes.

I use brakes very little on downhills. I start slow and stab brakes to downshift when needed. If extreme will downshift to 4 or 2. Tow haul works in D and 4. Everywhere I go in Idaho involves passes. 4,500 rpm common.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:23 PM   #48

Model: Venetian M37
THOR #10920
Couple quick comments....

I’ve RVd many roads in Colorado and the other mountain states with a fifth wheel and current MH. Avoid Durango to Silverton, but it’s doable. You’ve been there so you’ve got it figured out. Also would avoid Independence pass. All passes have potential for some ice late winter early spring. Some could even require chains. But you will be warned. Check with each state highway department prior to your travel. BTW, I don’t have chains... I don’t travel in those conditions.

All in all things should be fine.

It’s not a speed contest. You’re on RV time.

There are climbing lanes both up and down. Remember going up the mountain is not the problem. Gears and RPMs solve that problem. Just watch the temperature gauges both engine and transmission.

Going down is the issue. Keep you gears low, RPMs high, and speed low. If you pulled the mountain at 45-50, then down side should stay no higher than 40-45. Hold breaks firmly for a few seconds (like 5 or less) to slow. Do not hold for long periods. As 16ace27 advised.

85 Octane has a lower power rating than higher octanes. Would use a higher octane... it’s available. While I just close my eyes and try not to cry on fillups, it’s just a cost of going. Would suggest that you will find the cost differential per mile to be minimal at any octane level.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:19 AM   #49

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Staying East of the mountains driving up is certainly easy

Spring Blizzards are real out there and the wind should be respected

Not a lot in Clayton but Dumas will work for a stop

Drove that area for years as well as all of CO
Old 03-11-2021, 05:15 AM   #50

State: California
THOR #19337
WE visited our son in Denver and stayed in a state park, Cherry Creek.

very nice, went well.

but during winter times we drive our car, or our Jeep, and stay in a hotel
Old 03-11-2021, 05:17 AM   #51

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
You might would need to call to see availability and whether they are even open, but there is an RV park right at the top of Raton Pass. Gives one some fair views.

Raton Pass Camp and Cafe

When we retired and headed west, we spent one night at that park. The food in the cafe was good as well. I'm away from my home computer and its hard drive and the pictures, but give me a day or two and I can post photos that I took at that RV park. Raton, NM is about 87 miles NW of Clayton, NM and the pass is just a few more miles north.

Google Maps View of Raton Pass Camp and Cafe

Terry
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #52

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
Ha! You are mispronouncing the name. It's more like "doo-mus."

And, that part of the country is my stomping grounds. I was raised about 75 miles north of Dumas, lived for about 1 1/2 years in Amarillo, and have traveled the routes mentioned numerous times...too many times to count.

And, not that the OP is asking, but there is an excellent National Forest campground that we used to vacation in almost every year that is located west of Trinidad off of Highway 12. It's about 3 miles or so off of the highway, has lots of trees, and has the Purgatoire River going through it. It's a great place for those wanting to boondock and get away from civilization.

Terry
DW & I grew up in Dumas graduating high school there, also traveled the entire northern panhandle, Oklahoma panhandle, southern Kansas & eastern Colorado.
Dumas was a great place to grow up back then......... wouldn't want to live there now!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #53

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
DW & I grew up in Dumas graduating high school there, also traveled the entire northern panhandle, Oklahoma panhandle, southern Kansas & eastern Colorado.
Dumas was a great place to grow up back then......... wouldn't want to live there now!
Sadly far too many of our once lovely home towns are now filled with riff raff and have become an eyesore and ground zero for thuggery. It’s a real shame what we have allowed some to do in the name of politics and freedom.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #54

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Sadly far too many of our once lovely home towns are now filled with riff raff and have become an eyesore and ground zero for thuggery. It’s a real shame what we have allowed some to do in the name of politics and freedom.
I have seen all and more of the degeneration of the towns and small cities over the past 70 years.

Sadly it is not slowing down and when you do camp or stop you have to consider where you are and what the risk might be.

Something we never worried about for years.

I like to be in a well lighted area with at least some traffic today as in years past the places out of the way were sought out.

Unfortunately this applies pretty much across the US today

Camp grounds and resorts are typically the best place to stop and second is a monitored parking lot or something similar. Pulling off without considering the area may be a huge mistake.

Times have changed and having been raised in Western KS traveling the area and seeing the decline has not been easy.

Stay safe on the road and plan as best you can, over night stops, and rest breaks. We will be staying in parks/campgrounds/resorts more often this year and will be doing less boondocking.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:42 AM   #55

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
You might would need to call to see availability and whether they are even open, but there is an RV park right at the top of Raton Pass. Gives one some fair views.

Raton Pass Camp and Cafe

When we retired and headed west, we spent one night at that park. The food in the cafe was good as well. I'm away from my home computer and its hard drive and the pictures, but give me a day or two and I can post photos that I took at that RV park. Raton, NM is about 87 miles NW of Clayton, NM and the pass is just a few more miles north.

Google Maps View of Raton Pass Camp and Cafe

Terry

OK. Here is an update on the Raton Pass Camp and Cafe. I was wrong as to where my photos were on the campground. I forgot that the RV park is just south of the New Mexico/Colorado border, so the pictures were/are in the New Mexico folder of my Smugmug site. Here is a link to those photos.

Raton Pass Camp and Cafe

Terry
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #56

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
So many questions about your RV? Do you not get that is was built to go to these places? Relax! Chill out. Drive up anywhere you can think to go, have some fun in your RV! It's fine
Old 03-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agee: too much worrying causes wrinkles.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #58

THOR #2121
When in doubt, I slow down and use a lower gear just like the sign states. It’s more relaxing and provides more time to take in the sites. Snow is not something I see in Houston or Florida often; or mountains for that matter.

This is from Estes Park in early May a few years ago. Can’t wait to visit Colorado again.

P.S. — Normally take the previously mentioned route from Amarillo to Raton, then north on I-25. And for what it’s worth, I’m most careful driving on I-25 because of high traffic speed combined with a few downhill tight curves (by Interstate standards). It’s all fine at right speed. Just don’t want to find yourself going 80 MPH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79F3D0F8-6524-45E7-B668-5CAEB151E37E.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	29086   Click image for larger version

Name:	53F22D52-B67E-4982-96B9-596139E4F5B3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	29087  

Old 03-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #59

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Estes Park the most beautiful park in Colorado
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:40 AM   #60

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agee: too much worrying causes wrinkles.
Everything was fine (tripwise) until we go to Colorado. The day of our reservation we got a emailed notice from Colorado Parks and Wildlife asking us to cancel the the trip or to leave early if at the campground

It may be still early, but snow wise; thus far it has been mickey mouse stuff. Damn near every sign coming into Denver warns of incoming blizzard. Worse the Wal Marts around here do not allow overnight camping; so we are basically on our own.

Colorado is very pretty and we are having good time for our intended purposes but if this was a REAL RV Camping Trip I would be pissed. They shutdown things here quicker here than we do in Dallas when snow is in the forecast.