Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: RW28
State: Florida
THOR #12200
We did the East Coast in 2018, Florida to Maine, to Vermont then back down. All of the comments about weekends and holidays are absolutely true, plan well in advance for those or be prepared to use the RV dry camping at Camp Walmart or the like, which BTW once we went north of South Carolina, we found less and less Camp Walmarts, most were far too crowded and did not allow overnight parking due to local ordinances and rest areas on the interstate were filled quickly by Truckers. Harvest Host is another good resource for Dry Camping and there are plenty of Golf Courses, Wineries, Farms and Breweries along the route most of which only require a days notice.

Planning makes sure you have a spot but you have to be on someone else's schedule.

Winging it allows for the freedom to be on your own schedule but there's no guarantee of a spot.

We find a happy medium works best for us. Whichever works for y'all, have fun, enjoy your travels and don't be in a rush. You know what causes 90% of the accidents on the road? The Loose NUT behind the Wheel!

Old 03-04-2021, 12:41 PM   #22

State: North Carolina
THOR #5951
Smile

No reservations for me, knowing I have to be at a certain place at a certain time takes all the fun of out meandering and wandering. If you are on a schedule, fine, but explore 'no reservation' sites that might also be available along the way, they provide some flexibility with your adventure. Then when you are through or tired of off the beaten paths, you can make reservations as you travel. RV'ing is Relaxing Ventures, no upright scheduling, did that for more than fifty years. Relax and enjoy this beautiful country. Safe and happy wandering whatever choice you make.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #23

Model: 24FE
State: Illinois
THOR #16593
Yellowstone

From Chicago area, we book our entire trip, not comfortable not having places set. We plan out the entire summer and will book the rest soon.

John
Old 03-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #24

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
For our group trips we plan due to busy season in MI.
If just my better half and I, wing it as I say.
I have a tendency to stop & shop when I see boats, cars and things for sale.
I dont like having to rush to be somewhere at a certain time.
Drives my wife nuts when I slam on the breaks and things fly because I see something that needs to be investigated.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
folks like us in motorhomes have a much easier time of 'winging it' since we are many times totally self-contained and have everything we need, even overnighting in a parking lot. Others in travel trailers and fifth-wheels are probably not as inclined since there's not as much 120v power available without an external generator, etc.

some are also just not the type to EVER wing-it since they just aren't comfortable traveling without their whole vacation timed and scheduled to the 'T', although that can many times provide just as much stress and concern trying to 'make it' to your next planned stop, without any room to 'stop and smell the roses'. Some of us are just more able to rest assured that really no matter where or how far we go, stopping somewhere for an overnight is no big deal. RV parks and campgrounds are nice, especially when you need to recharge, dump, and have some amenities close by, and different travel types are going to require different methods.

We traveled a total of 13,000 miles to and from Alaska back in 2017, without a single reservation. Sure, there were a few overnights that may not have been 'resort type' stops, but it was actually more pleasurable to travel without much of a need to 'be somewhere at some specific time'. Nice.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:34 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
My planning usually consists of knowing which campgrounds are along my route. If they are limited in numbers then often times I will call and check availability during my trip as it can be a challenge stopping for the night without a camp site. Some areas are more friendly about boondocking than others and yes I've got the knock on the door with the police asking me to move before. Not fun when you are tired. Sometimes a call to the campground will also lend itself to what is going on in the area to make it so booked up and that alone can make it worth rerouting (aka Sturgis during the Rally, various balloon festivals, major car shows like Scrapin the Coast, and so on) or it might lend itself to trying to find a place to stay so you can be a part of the event. Some days I just decide on weather and call a do daily reservations if I've got time to spare between destinations.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
[QUOTE=RBard48;279028]We are planning a 4 month trip up the east coast from Florida up to Maine and then across the midwest and meander our way back home. I understand that reservations are a must at popular parks, etc but was wondering, with the increase in RVing that has taken place, should I just plan on making reservations as we go day to day so to speak or should I make them well in advance? Many in my RV group say to "just wing it" but I'm sort of anal on planning stuff like this and wondering if I should get out of my comfort zone. Wondering what the "old time RVers" on this site say.

If you can boondocks with no issues we typically book a park every 3rd day. We have enough capacity, 50 fresh, 40 gray and black in our Windsport to do that. You can stop most anywhere overnight, then hit your reserved RV park, dump tanks and fill fresh and go another two nights “ FREE “!!!!!! If they won’t allow overnight parking, go anywhere during the day, sleep then get up and drive at night
Old 03-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #28
Jph

State: Alabama
THOR #17238
If you’re passing thru Florence in N Alabama the city has a nice RV park with full hookups right on Tennessee river. McFarland Park. First come first serve but usually no problem getting in on weekdays. $20/day can’t beat it