Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2024, 10:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #24794
Running the Generator all night at CB or Walmart?

Is it really that terrible if someone runs their generator all night at a Cracker Barrel or Walmart overnight? We like the steady noise of the generator and also AC and heat. Our first trip we stayed at a CB in NC. We found it on RVparky. The reviews were is was quiet except for someone running their gen all night. So we had planned on not running it. When we got their, it is literally on the corner of 2 highways. All you heard was traffic, engines, engine brakes etc. At some point we turned on the generator to drown out the traffic. There was nobody else there that night so I'm sure we didn't bother anyone. We were confused how someone could sleep without the noise of a generator? Since then, we've stayed at CB or Walmart at least 30 times. Except for one time, we could usually hear traffic over our generator. Most times there are others running their gens and it doesn't bother us at all. I would say our generator is pretty quiet and we usually can park with it facing away. When looking on RVparky, there is almost always a review about someone running the gen all night. So my questions: Do most people run them and only a couple of complainers or most don't and a couple of people ruining it for the others? We actually don't mind staying at the rest stops by the trucks that run all night. Steady noise just doesn't bother us but the sound of traffic is terrible.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:26 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Run genset all the time. Always try to aim the side with the genny away from others if possible.
Too much noise otherwise from traffic….
CB but no Wally Mart’s, too much late night activity and most are not close to Interstates.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:31 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubugarrity View Post
Is it really that terrible if someone runs their generator all night at a Cracker Barrel or Walmart overnight? We like the steady noise of the generator and also AC and heat. Our first trip we stayed at a CB in NC. We found it on RVparky. The reviews were is was quiet except for someone running their gen all night. So we had planned on not running it. When we got their, it is literally on the corner of 2 highways. All you heard was traffic, engines, engine brakes etc. At some point we turned on the generator to drown out the traffic. There was nobody else there that night so I'm sure we didn't bother anyone. We were confused how someone could sleep without the noise of a generator? Since then, we've stayed at CB or Walmart at least 30 times. Except for one time, we could usually hear traffic over our generator. Most times there are others running their gens and it doesn't bother us at all. I would say our generator is pretty quiet and we usually can park with it facing away. When looking on RVparky, there is almost always a review about someone running the gen all night. So my questions: Do most people run them and only a couple of complainers or most don't and a couple of people ruining it for the others? We actually don't mind staying at the rest stops by the trucks that run all night. Steady noise just doesn't bother us but the sound of traffic is terrible.

No it is not really that terrible, unless you have a very loud generator and / or someone is close to you? All of that is subjective; so common sense applies. I have heard some generators that should be outlawed. Our 5500 purrs like a kitten and has a nice sound on the outside.

At a campsite, my genny will not come on after 8:00pm even if I am by myself because of Park rules. Parks are generally quiet, even an outdoor TV can carry noise to disturb someone.

But at a Wal Mart, I am usually way off by myself. If someone parked next to me, I would leave and park someplace else if I wanted to run my generator versus having the attitude I was there 1st and I can run my genny. Never stayed at a Cracker Barrel, but I would think they are kind of small; so running a generator is something I would try to avoid there.

Now with all that said, unless it is VERY VERY Hot, we have no need for a generator after 8:00 PM.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:16 AM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's your life,
get your ass kicked however you want.

If you want to run it all night park far far away from everyone.
Otherwise
It's rude, intrusive, and wholly selfish.
But,
Some people think dogs have a right to bark.

I'm sure some here will think they get to decide how much to inflict on others.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:28 AM   #5

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
It's your life, get your ass kicked however you want.

Otherwise
But,

I don't know if it is good or bad for my heart,
but you sure give my heart a workout.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-26-2024, 12:42 AM   #6

THOR #24794
Quote:
It's your life,
get your ass kicked however you want.

Otherwise
But,

So you're the one leaving those reviews? 🤣 Ass kicked? Classy. We are very aware and try to be respectful but who decides? We like the noise and need AC. Are you more bothered by a steady generator noise than very loud traffic? Serious question? I didn't buy an RV to sleep on the side of a busy road in a 100 degree bed. I was trying to get some feedback on both sides but you tone is worse than the noise of a generator.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:58 AM   #7

THOR #13932
If you think for thr slightest moment that my post isn't exactly what anyone hearing your
Generator at night is exactly thinking and having to decide what actions to take...

You need to buy a vowel.
Additive noise is not an excuse.

You just think I'm being rude.
Keep Bubba's baby awake all night and then tell him your stance when he bangs on your door.
You'll see rude.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:11 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
I didn't buy an RV to sleep on the side of a busy road in a 100 degree bed. I was trying to get some feedback on both sides but you tone is worse than the noise of a generator.
I noticed you are from New Jersey. There is one poster (JeffThor325) I call a Brave Warrior that is from New York. He took his ACs out, and last I heard he was trying to remove the generator It took me awhile to grasp his sincerity. Being in Texas it just not an option, but I would love to see his take. But even in Texas at night it is usually not that hot. A fan and a cracked window will do.

But your counterpoint is outside noise, so a cracked window would be even worse than the mere heat. Just don't park that close to anyone, if they get close to in the middle of the night and your genny is already running, they likely would move to another spot nearby.

But if someone knocks on the door, don't answer; it ain't opportunity
Old 03-26-2024, 01:28 AM   #9

THOR #24794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I noticed you are from New Jersey. There is one poster (JeffThor325) I call a Brave Warrior that is from New York. He took his ACs out, and last I heard he was trying to remove the generator It took me awhile to grasp his sincerity. Being in Texas it just not an option, but I would love to see his take. But even in Texas at night it is usually not that hot. A fan and a cracked window will do.

But your counterpoint is outside noise, so a cracked window would be even worse than the mere heat. Just don't park that close to anyone, if they get close to in the middle of the night and your genny is already running, they likely would move to another spot nearby.

But if someone knocks on the door, don't answer; it ain't opportunity
LOVE TEXAS! The traveled there the last 3 years, talk about hot. Our AC wouldn't keep up even plugged in. That's where we got the idea to make a hanging divider behind the cab. That made a huge difference. We also did that ac mod, another huge difference.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:24 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The Duck nailed it. He's not being rude .. it's just old fashioned common sense. One of those life decisions.

A Harley rider with straight pipes cruises through the campground at 2 a.m. You decide. It's called being an adult.

Some people don't seem to mind the "hum" of a generator. Other people classify it as a rude gesture from a clueless dolt. You make the decision as to what type neighbors you have.

You see... it's NOT about YOU. It's how you and your actions are perceived by those around you. That's called freedom of choice. And that's what Duck was probably referring to about the ass kicking.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:49 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
It's a flippin' parking lot! It's not the National Forest. Ever stay in a Wally World parking lot? Somebody kicking ass over noise? Seriously? Midnight beered up kids are doing burn outs and 4:00 a.m. they drive the street sweeper through the lot. Been there and done that, now no more. Go ahead and run your genny we aren't gonna here it.
We'll be overnighting in a campground.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 04:00 AM   #12

THOR #13932
The boundary of courtesy seems to be known by whether a space is paid for or not.
And
Who noise specifically affects instead of generally affects.

While my thought box has no sides other than the horizon after the horizon,
My box which allows me to annoy others barely fits my shoulders.

Others here seem to think their
Self space
Can invade anyones home on less than a whim
And
Cannot reason past their shoulders.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:19 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.3
State: Alabama
THOR #25790
Thanks for pointing out consideration for others!
Old 03-26-2024, 09:24 AM   #14

THOR #25790
Right on, Ducksface!
Old 03-26-2024, 09:27 AM   #15

THOR #25790
Thank you Ducksface, you are spot on, in my opinion. Far too many RV'ers are out here clueless as to how to play well with others; just as in far too many other areas that you have to deal with inconsiderate, selfish people.

I am sorry to say that "common sense" is a rare commodity today, so I call it "good sense" instead.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:40 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
It's a flippin' parking lot! It's not the National Forest. Ever stay in a Wally World parking lot? Somebody kicking ass over noise? Seriously? Midnight beered up kids are doing burn outs and 4:00 a.m. they drive the street sweeper through the lot. Been there and done that, now no more. Go ahead and run your genny we aren't gonna here it.
We'll be overnighting in a campground.
Same here.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:44 AM   #17

THOR #24794
I'm not talking about a campground, woods or quiet hours, I'm talking about parking lots, in commercial areas, that are a few feet away from major roads. This is what I'm talking about. Do you really have an expectation of quiet in this spot? A generator in this space is grounds for getting an ass kicking? Really? You should hear how many Harleys come by there on a typical night. I'm just not understanding how you can compare this to a Harley driving through a campground at 2am? Again, there has been 1 out of 30 stops I'm talking about where it was actually quiet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	45636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240326-070108.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	45637  

Old 03-26-2024, 12:08 PM   #18

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Quote:
If you think for thr slightest moment that my post isn't exactly what anyone hearing your
Generator at night is exactly thinking and having to decide what actions to take...

You need to buy a vowel.
Additive noise is not an excuse.

You just think I'm being rude.
Keep Bubba's baby awake all night and then tell him your stance when he bangs on your door.
You'll see rude.
Hitting the nail on the head once again. Thanks
Old 03-26-2024, 12:25 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
I'm not talking about a campground, woods or quiet hours, I'm talking about parking lots, in commercial areas, that are a few feet away from major roads. This is what I'm talking about. Do you really have an expectation of quiet in this spot? A generator in this space is grounds for getting an ass kicking? Really? You should hear how many Harleys come by there on a typical night. I'm just not understanding how you can compare this to a Harley driving through a campground at 2am? Again, there has been 1 out of 30 stops I'm talking about where it was actually quiet.
Again, it is common sense that applies. If you are parked in that spot (pictured) with Generator facing the road, no one will ever know. But if you are asking if there are other RV'ers all cramped in that parking lot side by side, I would not run my generator. But let's say it was 100 degrees that day, and if someone was really that close to you, and if you expect to be there any relevant period of time, why not ask them? #1 They might have theirs on anyway. #2 They might be glad you asked so they can turn theirs own #3 If they look intimidating to you to even ask, why not find the next spot.

Remember you only need a few hours. To make that point, technically, I don't think it is legal to spend the night at most Rest Areas. It is just to get some rest after a long drive and keep on moving.

Sounds like you are only wanting AC when temperatures are excessively hot. If temps are that hot even Bubba will know it. Unless you are backed into his front door and he has his windows down because he too is hot. To which I will quote Michael Jackson and say "Beat It... just beat it"
no need to be a Macho Man
Old 03-26-2024, 12:45 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Is it really that terrible if someone runs their generator all night at a Cracker Barrel or Walmart overnight?
I think you responded your own question.
If the environment is noisy, there will be no problem running a generator but if the place have signs stating no generator or is quiet as a cemetery and very close to houses, then that is a no no in my book.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote