Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2023, 03:13 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #10235
lost power to air,heater and fan

Air conditioner ran for 4 min or so than shutdown-- can not restart and have no fan either. did not blow any fuses just quit--check all fuses ac and 12 volt with meter all good --check fuses under drivers compartment all good. pulled converter out and found no power to ac side of panel. Tested power cord from house outlet got 110 volts. started generator and have ac power and converter fan turned on--checked battery's- 13 volts. Turned generator off.
Thinking that STORE_RUN switch killed all power to converter and having no ac-- started putting small top plate back on converter (Tiny screws) the plate slipped and touched the components in the converter and sparked now converter shut down. Bought new converter from Amazon.
Knowing that this subject has been discussed before but I can not seem to get the tittle right on the search link to match my problem could someone refer me to the correct POST so I can try to solve the main problem before installing my new converter--which was no air conditioner, fan or heater. Have no tech that do electrical nearby. shop says they are out 3 weeks in work. Have reservations for middle of September.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well you didn't say what Year/Make/Model RV you have (Still Looking doesn't help) so I'll speak in generalizations:

1 - Initial problem: All those things that shut down require 12 VDC on the DC buss. including the A/C control power. They are powered through the "Appliances" fuse but if that is good then either there is a wiring issue or no power to the DC buss. No power to the DC buss would also mean the inside lights don't work either.

If the USE/STORE latching relay is OPEN than the house batteries won't supply power to the DC buss and if your converter is not working as well, then even plugged into SP there will be not power to the DC buss.

BUT, you said there was no power to the AC side of the converter either until you started the generator, so did you lose SP either at the pole, or the cable or connection or the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS)? Obviously the generator side of the ATS worked as it supplied power to and damaged the converter.

2 - Misconception: The USE/STORE switch does not kill the AC power to the converter. It simply breaks the connection between the DC buss and the house batteries.

3 - Resolution: Replace the converter with the new one (USE/STORE in STORE and no SP or generator)
Put the USE/STORE is USE and verify lights work. Try the furnace. If the furnace works (and the lights) then the "Appliances" fuse is good and you have power to the DC buss via the latching relay and house batteries.
Plug in SP: See what AC appliances work now - A/C, microwave clock, outlets. If none work you have an AC SP problem to hunt down. If some work (ie., one A/C but not the other) and you have a 50 amp system, then you may have lost one leg from SP - and you need to hunt it down.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:39 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Will the a/c run off the converter? Mine will not have to be on shore or generator for the roof top units to work.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:44 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
Will the a/c run off the converter? Mine will not have to be on shore or generator for the roof top units to work.
Converters take AC power and convert it to DC power.
The A/C runs off AC power; but needs DC power from the thermostat to control it.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:29 PM   #5

THOR #10235
sorry it's a 2017 vegas 30amp setup

Update -- Have not replaced converter yet. But yesterday before I mistakenly grounded the converter --I had 110 wall outlets working but no 110 to the breaker panel with just shore power. Have done nothing but changed ac power to different outlet in garage. Now I don't have power to the outlets but do have to the breaker panel with just shore power. Have always had cabin lights thru all of this and the all the breakers are still good . Have tried generator and it gave 110 to breaker panel but no 110 to outlets . Still have original problem
with or with out generator.
P.S get battery voltage thru 12 volt side of breaker panel -checking Top + to bottom -
Old 08-20-2023, 11:55 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo666 View Post
Update -- Have not replaced converter yet. But yesterday before I mistakenly grounded the converter --I had 110 wall outlets working but no 110 to the breaker panel with just shore power. Have done nothing but changed ac power to different outlet in garage. Now I don't have power to the outlets but do have to the breaker panel with just shore power. Have always had cabin lights thru all of this and the all the breakers are still good . Have tried generator and it gave 110 to breaker panel but no 110 to outlets . Still have original problem
with or with out generator.
P.S get battery voltage thru 12 volt side of breaker panel -checking Top + to bottom -
You can't have 120 VAC to outlets without 120 VAC to the breaker panel (Power Center) and the generator supplies power to the Power Center through the same input as SP.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:11 PM   #7

THOR #10235
problem solved

Finally got her going. lost heater, A/C and fan but still had AC to converter but no 12 volt. started generator --got 12 volt--leaning to toward transfer switch . While reinstalling converter the aluminum cover slid down and shorted the converter to ground. Got a new converter (newer and better) next day from amazon. Moved RV from regular spot to different outlet which took two extension cords. Plugged it in --still no 12volt but had AC started checking everything again now no 110. Tried 3 different old extension cords -no 110.
decided to take the end off one cord to make a good one when I opened it up the one prong just crumbled -- bought a new end and ---The unit working again put her back in her original spot and plugged her in all good.
One small problem when reinstalling 12 volt board the small extrusion holding the board on top of the housing broke off. Any suggestions on fixing that so can be accessed again??? don't want to put a metal screw in there

MODE EDIT: A/C = Air Conditioner
AC = AC voltage.

If you use AC for both it gets very confusing.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo666 View Post
Finally got her going. lost heater, A,C and fan but still had AC to converter but no 12 volt. started generator --got 12 volt--leaning to toward transfer switch . While reinstalling converter the aluminum cover slid down and shorted the converter to ground. Got a new converter (newer and better) next day from amazon. Moved RV from regular spot to different outlet which took two extension cords. Plugged it in --still no 12volt but had AC started checking everything again now no 110. Tried 3 different old extension cords -no 110.
decided to take the end off one cord to make a good one when I opened it up the one prong just crumbled -- bought a new end and ---The unit working again put her back in her original spot and plugged her in all good.
One small problem when reinstalling 12 volt board the small extrusion holding the board on top of the housing broke off. Any suggestions on fixing that so can be accessed again??? don't want to put a metal screw in there
Why didn't you have 12 VDC from the house batteries if they were charged enough to start the generator and supply 12 VDC through the converter?