Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #24839
Coach batteries not charging when plugged into just 120V.

My 2011 Chateau Citation 28BK is not charging batteries when just plugged into a 120V. They charge fine when motorhome is running or generator is running. How do you check the converter/inverter? Where is it located?

Old 09-16-2021, 01:29 AM   #2

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I don't know on your coach but normally it's part of the fuse/breaker box in the coach. If it's not part of it, it's probably located near it.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:38 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
On our class C there is a compartment under the bed that houses most of the electrical guts. Compare the proximity of your fuse/breaker panel to where your outside shore power connection is. There is a very large outside accessible storage compartment on our slide, which goes back under the head of the bed. There is a removeable (screws) panel in the back of that compartment allowing access to all the components - converter, ATS, etc.

I can also access ours from inside by removing (screws) a wood platform under the mattress (foot of bed). That's where I installed my EMS. Our breaker panel is on the side of the bed frame.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane
State: California
THOR #24870
I have the same problem with my 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 31H. I have noticed that when my bedroom slide is in, plugging into shore power trips the SP breaker and it cannot be reset without unplugging the coach. I discovered that if the slide is out, then it allows the shore power connection without tripping the breaker. The main panel is under the bed, which moves with the slide so I have wondered if there might be a loose connection that makes better contact when the slide is out. Recently, my house batteries are dying after a day or so of camping while connected to shore power so my batteries are not charging while plugged in. I have no idea where the converter is, but it is likely below the bed. Anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or schematics for this coach? Thor says due to the age, they no longer have them.

Open to any suggestions.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetman53 View Post
My 2011 Chateau Citation 28BK is not charging batteries when just plugged into a 120V. They charge fine when motorhome is running or generator is running. How do you check the converter/inverter? Where is it located?
The MH uses the same component to charge the house batteries whether plugged into SP or running the generator - normally a converter in your Class coach - so your stated symptom makes no electrical sense UNLESS no other 120 VAC load is working on SP either. The converter on a 30 amp RV is normally located in the bottom of the breaker box/fuse panel AKA Power Center.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:27 PM   #6

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Rob View Post
I have the same problem with my 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 31H. I have noticed that when my bedroom slide is in, plugging into shore power trips the SP breaker and it cannot be reset without unplugging the coach. I discovered that if the slide is out, then it allows the shore power connection without tripping the breaker. The main panel is under the bed, which moves with the slide so I have wondered if there might be a loose connection that makes better contact when the slide is out. Recently, my house batteries are dying after a day or so of camping while connected to shore power so my batteries are not charging while plugged in. I have no idea where the converter is, but it is likely below the bed. Anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or schematics for this coach? Thor says due to the age, they no longer have them.

Open to any suggestions.
My first suggestion is to not hijack another thread with yer problem(s).
The SP breaker is tripping for the simple reason you have an overload condition with the slide in, most likely caused by the cable being pinched. A loose connection cannot draw more current, only less... unless it is so loose it is touching something it is not suppose to, then that is a short. It needs to be checked pronto! Not later.