Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2023, 01:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32
State: Florida
THOR #29859
Spare Tire for a Ford F-550 Platform

I would like to carry a fully mounted spare tire for the rig. 225/70-19.5 (I found a great place to fabricate a mount underneath the rear of my 2022 Omni XG32) But according to Ford parts the front wheels are a different part than the rear wheels. I am thinking that that is because of the side polished of the aluminum and not anything else. I am awaiting a call from the level 2 support at ford to answer if a standard steel wheel could be universal spare. In the mean time I thought I would pose the following questions to the Thor Forum Brain trust:
  1. Is there any real structural difference between front wheels and rear wheels other than the side on which they are polished?
  2. If so is a standard steel rim a viable alternative to use either front or rear?
As an anecdote, for decades to my self embarrassment, I have wondered why the front wheels on Duallie Trucks had rims with such pronounced negative offsets. Not until I owned a duallie did it finally dawn on me that it would be so a singe wheel could be used everywhere. It is in the face of this self pride in solving my decades old conundrum that I now have such great disappointment that, in my case, they seem to be different parts front to rear.....

Cheers!

Trailer Toad 2017 Corvette Z06
Alt Trailer Toad 2018 Diesel Chevy Equinox
Dry Yachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:09 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Swap your wheels around to find out.
This is
practice changing a flat
And
Absolute proof of what you ask.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:29 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
You'll probably find the inside rears are steel wheel so it limits your rotational ability. That chassis load Thor runs out the door on the 550 with probably will not afford you the extra weight of a fully mounted spare.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:08 PM   #4

THOR #29859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Swap your wheels around to find out.
This is
practice changing a flat
And
Absolute proof of what you ask.

Of course but to test without an actual spare involves jacking up the whole side at once then taking off 3 wheels and mixing an matching to test. I was trying save a little of that effort. It may come to that though...

Old 08-31-2023, 04:16 PM   #5

THOR #29859
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You'll probably find the inside rears are steel wheel so it limits your rotational ability. That chassis load Thor runs out the door on the 550 with probably will not afford you the extra weight of a fully mounted spare.
On the Chassis load, this particular unit has significantly more free cargo load than the SV34. (I have actually run it loaded up with car and trailer on the Front/Rear/Trailer Scales and was pleasantly surprised) Your point is well taken though and my alternative is to carry the spare on the Car Hauler trailer as I have lots spare capacity there. I'll be underneath today running my Starlink cable and so I'll dbl check the inside rear rims.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2023, 12:39 AM   #6

Model: RB34
State: New Mexico
THOR #21936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Yachtie View Post
Is there any real structural difference between front wheels and rear wheels other than the side on which they are polished?

Sometimes the tires are different based on whether they're drive or steer tires - which is what could dictate part numbers variance. That said, at least on my Magnitude, all six wheels on the 550 are steer / drive tires and would be swappable between positions. They're all the factory Continentals from Ford and are rated for either usage.

But, as Gritz indicated, the inner rears are steelies. Those can't be swapped, as the studs that the lugs mount to won't fit them up front because the studs are too long to support steelies. I can't say that for certain. I have heard of people swapping the rear steelies for aluminum wheels to enable swapping of all positions - apparently the rear studs will support that swap, but again, I can't say for certain.

Why do you feel the need for a spare? The factory Continentals are a commercial grade tire with a very low failure rate - as long as you keep them inflated to spec (sidenote - you should read up on the hazards of inflating these tires and why it's necessary to do so from a distance if you haven't already). I'm in my 30s and very fit, and I can't imagine swapping a F550 tire on the side of the road. They're absurdly heavy. If we have a failure, I'm limping off the road and calling a pro.
Old 09-02-2023, 01:00 AM   #7

THOR #29859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Sometimes the tires are different based on whether they're drive or steer tires - which is what could dictate part numbers variance. That said, at least on my Magnitude, all six wheels on the 550 are steer / drive tires and would be swappable between positions. They're all the factory Continentals from Ford and are rated for either usage.

But, as Gritz indicated, the inner rears are steelies. Those can't be swapped, as the studs that the lugs mount to won't fit them up front because the studs are too long to support steelies. I can't say that for certain. I have heard of people swapping the rear steelies for aluminum wheels to enable swapping of all positions - apparently the rear studs will support that swap, but again, I can't say for certain.

Why do you feel the need for a spare? The factory Continentals are a commercial grade tire with a very low failure rate - as long as you keep them inflated to spec (sidenote - you should read up on the hazards of inflating these tires and why it's necessary to do so from a distance if you haven't already). I'm in my 30s and very fit, and I can't imagine swapping a F550 tire on the side of the road. They're absurdly heavy. If we have a failure, I'm limping off the road and calling a pro.

Thanks! All good info and appreciated! And yes I made up a filler/pressure gauge with a 12 foot hose filler to Stem to stay that safe distance. As to why the spare. My roadside plan from progressive covers changing to an existing sppare. While I agree, the likelihood is low of a failure it is low not none and I would rather save then roadside downtime trying to find the right sized tire..... I am religious regarding checking tire pressures as well.

Tags
spare tire