Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2022, 08:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Washington
THOR #26091
The "Godzilla" is a beast!

Hello All,

This is neither a question or a complaint but an observation. First, let me set the stage. My wife and I live in the North Puget Sound area of Washington State, and as such to go anywhere beyond the local area we have to travel over some significant mountain passes. So, one of my evaluation criteria that I use for my motor homes is how well it powers over these passes. My first motor home was a 2015 Dutchmen Leprechaun 260DS with 6.3L V10 motor, and it did alright but still bogged down on the passes. My current rig is the 2022 Hurricane 29m with the 7.3L Triton V8 and man what a difference. This last weekend we took the Hurricane on its first long distance, 400 mile, trip to the East side of the state. On this trip we had to not only get over the Cascade mountain pass but three others as well that weren’t quite as high but really steep. Granted I wasn’t pulling the Jeep toad but that engine got us over those passes even accelerating to get around slower vehicles. In couple of weeks we’re going back over there but this time bringing the Jeep so we’ll see how it does then.

Just thought I would share, take care and safe travels.

kgkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:52 PM   #2

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
34k on my 7.3 and very happy with performance and gas mileage. If I had to make a complaint it would be the downshift from 6th to 5th comes too late and causes a further downshift to 4th. If (big word) I am paying attention and kick it down a bit earlier it chugs up most inclines in 5th with no trouble.

Not to change the subject, but I have come to HATE the fact that most cross winds trip the "Service Advance Tracking" and disable the cruise control.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:17 PM   #3

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
I never had a V10, but I agree...I've never had an issue with "Godzilla" any size mountain it handles with ease.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:11 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
My son recently purchased MH with 7.3 V8 and the sound alone is worth it over my V10s. Sounds a lot like a 60s ~ 70s muscle car to me.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:18 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I'm on my third V-10 powered motorhome. Everyone of them has gotten me to my destination on time. That being said, if my next coach has a second gen godziller, I wont complain.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:19 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I'm on my second V10 with no complaints. I regularly cross the Rockies with my toad or loaded car trailer in tow. I'm happy with fuel and performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0918201722.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	37324  
Old 04-21-2024, 05:21 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 22
State: Florida
THOR #28407
2023 Thor Hurricane - Specs from Thor Triton 7.3 motor

Good afternoon,
I have been doing some research as I prepare to get my RV out of the shop, It’s been at Camping world since 5 January for warranty issues - I purchased it in Dec 2023 - took a trip to Hampshire - and by the time I came back I had 38 warranty issues to get resolved. I can say both Thor and Camping World have been horrible.
This is the second Thor I have purchased in the past year. Both with very similar issues - their QC departments are horrible. But I dropped off track.

I have been looking at all the specs for the RV - I have the 29M - it’s loaded. The salesman said it had the 7.3 V8 Godzilla - if you look at Thor’s actual spec sheet it is listed as 7.3 V8 Triton - other informations says that that motor is in fact a Godzilla - several searches come up with different results.
I am just wondering? I hope to get my RV - next week however that has been promised for several weeks.

Where would be the best place to find that information?

Sorry for rambling
JD
Old 04-21-2024, 05:27 PM   #8

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
Only 1 engine in 2021 and newer ford chassis and it is named Godzilla
Old 04-21-2024, 06:12 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
In a Class A motorhome, the V8 is more evolutionary than revolutionary. In the F53 it has only about 30 more HP and less than 10 ft-lbs more torque. It also weighs literally a half ton which may negate some of that advantage and even cut into CCC. If it moves up the hills with greater ease it might have more to do with the transmission and final gear ratios. I read that they had beefed up the front end for the extra weight and this was sorely needed even with the V10.

One thing though is it can be tuned and modified to give enough umph to make the old Thor pop a wheelie!
Old 04-21-2024, 06:22 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
NICKNAME for an engine.
Nothing more.

Would,you like,help with the ungodly time your,vehicle,has been in the shop?
List your maladies.
Is one of your 38 problems the engine name?

And
The godzilla has only one advantage unto itself:
Room for torque and hp imorovements caused by advances in the years since the v10 was introduced.

There is no room in the v10 for improvements.

The perceived(other than small percentages) betterments in the base godzilla are
Trans and differential gear ratios.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:43 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Traveler A32
THOR #30793
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaggio View Post
Not to change the subject, but I have come to HATE the fact that most cross winds trip the "Service Advance Tracking" and disable the cruise control.
I'm very happy with the power so far on my 2024 Freedom Traveler A32 (on the Ford 2022 chassis). I pull a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite (2.0 Turbo) that has a curb weight of just over 4000 lbs. I haven't taken it over any real mountains yet, but it does very well in the hills.

For the issue with Advance Track (and loss of cruise control) you might ask the servicing dealer about these Service Bulletins. I've had the issue with ABS light and Advance Track warning that unfortunately wasn't fixed with the ABS software update. Along with disabling Traction Control and ABS it kills my cruise control, too.

I have the camper for a family trip right now, but I'm taking to the dealer to have the tone ring checked when I get back. The full bulletin for tone rings:

SSM 50514 - 2020-2022 F-53 Motorhome/F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis
-- Bent Or Damaged Rear Axle Tone Ring(s) With DTCs C0037 And/Or C0038

Some 2020-2022 F-53 Motorhome Chassis/F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis vehicles may exhibit an illuminated anti-lock brake system (ABS) warning with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C0037 and/or C0038. This may be due to a damaged rear wheel speed sensor (WSS) ring. Minimal damage may cause DTCs and can be difficult to detect during visual inspection. If replacement is required, closely inspect the service part to ensure no damage is present and follow Workshop Manual, Section 206-09 to replace. Removal of the ABS sensor is required to avoid damage to a new ring when servicing. Use a suitable jack to aid with hub/rotor install on the axle to prevent ring damage during assembly. Some backorders may be experienced when ordering the ring. Submit a customer online parts inquiry system (COPIS) vehicle off road (VOR) ticket is recommended to
prioritize orders.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 TRUCK: Y3 P131N STRIPPED CHASSIS
2021 TRUCK: Y3 P131N STRIPPED CHASSIS
2022 TRUCK: Y3 P131N STRIPPED CHASSIS

The ABS Software update, that may be your issue is SSM 51210:

SSM 51210 2020-2022 F53 Motorhome And 2021-2022 E-Series
-- Service AdvanceTrac Message With DTC C0051 And Inoperative Cruise Control - Built On Or Before 06-Oct-2022

Some 2020-2022 F53 Motorhome built on or before 06-Oct-2022 and 2021-2022 E-Series vehicles built on or before 09-Mar-2021 may exhibit a Service AdvanceTrac and Pre-Collision Assist Not Available message in the cluster with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C0051 stored in the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module. Cruise control may also be inoperative. To correct the condition, reprogram the ABS module using the latest software level of the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS). For claiming, use causal part number 2C219 and applicable labor times in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:20 PM   #12

THOR #28407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
NICKNAME for an engine.
Nothing more.
Would,you like,help with the ungodly time your,vehicle,has been in the shop?
List your maladies.
Is one of your 38 problems the engine name?

And
The godzilla has only one advantage unto itself:
Room for torque and hp imorovements caused by advances in the years since the v10 was introduced.

There is no room in the v10 for improvements.

The perceived(other than small percentages) betterments in the base godzilla are
Trans and differential gear ratios.
Good afternoon,
No, the name is just out of curiosity.
Many minor things, getting parts from manufacturer has been a bear, then they sent the wrong parts. Crazy. Just a long waiting game. I put 17k miles.on my freedom elite, was in the shop about half the time I had it. Had everything resolved and I traded up. Didn't expect the higher end model to have the same quality issues.

JD
Old 04-23-2024, 12:57 AM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarrld View Post
Didn't expect the higher end model to have the same quality issues.

JD

Assembled by the same monkeys at a different plant with the same QA/QC structure and supervision. What else could you expect?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:31 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
My son recently purchased MH with 7.3 V8 and the sound alone is worth it over my V10s. Sounds a lot like a 60s ~ 70s muscle car to me.
I have a 2018 ACE with the V10. The V10 is by far better than my 1996 Tiffin Allegro on a Chevy P30 Chassis with a 454 Throttle body fuel injected V8. The Allegro would bog down to about 40MPH on I40 west bound from the Texas line going into Albuquerque with a combined GVW of only 16000# towing a 3900# Jeep Grand Cherokee. While the ACE also slows down on that same stretch, I was still able to maintain 60MPH. All that was with a 23000 combined GVW towing a 5000# Jeep Gladiator. The worst pass I have come across with ACE V10 is the El Paso bypass. That slowed me down to about 50 and the Cruise control cut out because even at full throttle the rig was slowing down. I have not been on any of the high passes in Colorado with the ACE, but the Allegro would slow down to 15 or 20 mph on some of those. The Allego did have the Banks Power Pack Free flow header and exhaust and it did sound like a 60s mussel car, but it still had troubles with hills. I think most of the credit for the V10 performance has to do with the Transmision. Where the Allegro P30 chassis had a 3 speed with overdrive the ACE F53 chassis has a 6 speed transmission which makes a huge difference.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 01:39 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarrld View Post
Good afternoon,
I have been doing some research as I prepare to get my RV out of the shop, It’s been at Camping world since 5 January for warranty issues - I purchased it in Dec 2023 - took a trip to Hampshire - and by the time I came back I had 38 warranty issues to get resolved. I can say both Thor and Camping World have been horrible.
This is the second Thor I have purchased in the past year. Both with very similar issues - their QC departments are horrible. But I dropped off track.

I have been looking at all the specs for the RV - I have the 29M - it’s loaded. The salesman said it had the 7.3 V8 Godzilla - if you look at Thor’s actual spec sheet it is listed as 7.3 V8 Triton - other informations says that that motor is in fact a Godzilla - several searches come up with different results.
I am just wondering? I hope to get my RV - next week however that has been promised for several weeks.

Where would be the best place to find that information?

Sorry for rambling
JD
No such thing as "Triton 7.3 Motor" - That's lazy/ignorant marketing department. The Triton name applies to Ford modular engines with overhead cams. The "Godzilla" name applies to the newer 7.3 l V-8 pushrod engines.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:03 AM   #16

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
That 454 was good for 750hp if you had wished.
The Godzilla is good for 750hp if you wish.
The gm gas engines used now are good for 750hp.
Your v10 isn't a feasible candidate for upgrades.

The 454 rat is a kit.
The godzilla is a kit.
The GM engine is a kit.
The v10 is not.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:47 PM   #17
HAA

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #31545
How about this one?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-MZ73
Old 04-25-2024, 09:27 PM   #18

THOR #28407
Sweet. That is a beast.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:47 PM   #19

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAA View Post
And it is not street legal, says so in the disclaimer on that link.

WARNING:
This part is designed and intended for competition use only or off-highway use only. It should not be installed on a vehicle that is driven on public roads and highways. Installation of this part on a vehicle driven on public roads and highways is likely to violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to motor vehicle emissions.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:14 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
And it is not street legal, says so in the disclaimer on that link.

WARNING:
This part is designed and intended for competition use only or off-highway use only. It should not be installed on a vehicle that is driven on public roads and highways. Installation of this part on a vehicle driven on public roads and highways is likely to violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations relating to motor vehicle emissions.
AND it's known to cause cancer in California.