Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2023, 11:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #30303
Where is the GFCI (GFI) Reset ?

Hi,

I have a 2017 Thor Windsport 29. All my power outlets that have “GFI Protected” stickers on them are not working. I searched the entire coach, and cannot find the outlet which has the GFI reset and test button on the outlet.

Does anyone know where this would be, or if there is a different reset method other than the buttons on a GFI outlet ?

I have turned the GFI Outlets breaker off and on. I actually reset all the breakers just for kicks. No luck.

Cheers, Jack…

Old 07-22-2023, 11:29 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
My button was in the bathroom
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 11:43 AM   #3

THOR #30303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
My button was in the bathroom
Nope, not in my bathroom. It is the only “white” outlet, that’s all that is different.

All my previous campers had it in the bathroom. I wonder if the previous owner swapper out the bathroom outlet with a non GFI outlet. But then, there wouldn’t be a GFI breaker. (Right?)
Old 07-22-2023, 11:49 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My main plug is in the bathroom. The plugs past that are under the dinette. On wall above steps. Outside. And above sink and microwave.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:02 PM   #5

THOR #30303
I checked all those as well, none have the GFCI reset/test button. I don’t think my Thor Windsport has a GFI/GFCI Rest/Test outlet. I will wait to see if anyone else has any ideas before I start ripping things apart and tracing wires.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:11 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
I checked all those as well, none have the GFCI reset/test button. I don’t think my Thor Windsport has a GFI/GFCI Rest/Test outlet. I will wait to see if anyone else has any ideas before I start ripping things apart and tracing wires.
It is possible the power center has a dual function circuit breaker (AFCi and GFCI). i have installed several in my coach's power center in the high amperage circuits. They also make what looks like a normal looking CB, but it has a pigtail and a test button.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:16 PM   #7

THOR #30303
No luck, The breaker looks like all the other ones.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
Nope, not in my bathroom. It is the only “white” outlet, that’s all that is different.

All my previous campers had it in the bathroom. I wonder if the previous owner swapper out the bathroom outlet with a non GFI outlet. But then, there wouldn’t be a GFI breaker. (Right?)
Have these outlets ever worked since you've owned the RV?

Does The bathroom outlet work?

Do you have an outdoor kitchen with a fridge? Did you check that outlet?

Did you look under the cabinets in the kitchen area for an outlet mounted on the bottom of the upper cabinet?

Did you look at the outside receptacle.

I don't have a 29M but my ACE has two GFCI test/reset outlets:
One in the bathroom (as do almost all RVs)
and one on the outside receptacle.

Have you gone to the Thor Owners Resource website and created an account with your VIN so you can see and download the electrical circuit diagrams?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:38 PM   #9

THOR #30303
New development. I plugged in a circuit tester, and the LEDs light up indicating the connections are correct. So I think the problem is low voltage rather than no power.

I will confirm that all the GFI power outlet connects are good and tight. Stay tuned...
Old 07-22-2023, 11:12 PM   #10

THOR #30303
OK, problem solved.

#1 - There is no outlet with the GFI reset/test button on my coach. Looks like the dealer replaced the bathroom outlet with a regular outlet. (Thanks dealer, we could have been killed). It could also have been the previous owner (we bought it used)

#2 - The outside outlet has two connections that are split. One is on the GFI breaker line, and the other is on a regular breaker line. Why, who knows. However, screws on the back of the outlet was severely rusted, which resulted in reduced power. There was enough power to dimly light up my power connection analyzer plug in thingy, but not enough to run anything that is plugged in. I temporarily bypassed the outside outlet, and all the GFI outlets now work.

Next step, buy a proper GFI outlet for outside, and ensure both sides of the outside outlet are on GFI. And, cap the non GFI wires.

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Happy Camping…
Old 07-23-2023, 02:39 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
"Replaced by previous owner" was my guess. Bath outlet should also be GFCI... that's usually the "root", then all other wet/outdoor outlets are chained on that circuit.

Tags
gfci, gfi