Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2021, 11:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
House battery 12.4 with inverter 11.8?

Full house battery group 31 FLA 9 months old. Turned on 3k inverter with one TV one for 10 minutes..batteries dropped to 11.8. Turned off TV, & inverter back to 12.2.

Started generator to watch TV.

Would AGM really provide more juice?

Old 12-01-2021, 12:20 AM   #2

Model: Omni XG32
State: Arizona
THOR #24995
A FLA at 12.2 is approx 60% charged. Considering you should avoid going much below 50% or 12.06 you have very little in reserve. Not sure what batteries you have but if you want an order magnitude increase in usable battery power lithium is what you should consider
Old 12-01-2021, 12:22 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
What happened is that the load that the inverter put on the battery caused the voltage to drop. it dropped more than would be expected which leads me to believe that they were weak.

You could replace them with two Group 31 AGMs or FLAs and double their amp hour capacity. That would probably cover your needs overnight. I wouldn't expect much difference in performance in AGMs vs FLAs.

David
Old 12-01-2021, 12:40 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Scuba are they the original house batteries? If so your 2020 which was built in 2019 might have batteries that are two years old. If the unit spent any time on the lot the batteries may have been run completely down before you purchased shortening their useful life.
The day we were looking at our ACE at the dealer. The batteries were so discharged the interior lights wouldn't stay on.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:41 AM   #5

Model: Thor Delano 24TT
State: Florida
THOR #24507
My battery was so bad they had to replace it before I took delivery. It was made in May and I took delivery in August.
Stevemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
From my person experience the change to AGM and a bit more Amps made a difference in overnights

How much for sure it was hard to say as the FLA were 4 years old and had been abused

My AGM's sure hold voltage better when stored so that was a significant benifit as well
Old 12-01-2021, 11:51 PM   #7

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Seems like battery is discharged. But, important, bad connections can and will look like a discharge condition when operating under load. Clean connections at both ends or do a volt drop test on connections when under load.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
What happened is that the load that the inverter put on the battery caused the voltage to drop. it dropped more than would be expected which leads me to believe that they were weak.

You could replace them with two Group 31 AGMs or FLAs and double their amp hour capacity. That would probably cover your needs overnight. I wouldn't expect much difference in performance in AGMs vs FLAs.

David
I would. Night and day for me. 100% SOC is higher for AGM over FLA on average 12.9 vs 12.7

My AGMs never go below 12.5 when my OEM FLA would go down to 12.2 using the exact same loads. I guess you could argue you were referring to maintenance free FLA which if I had, I may have never learned the big difference in performance of my Pure AGM over the FLAs. Batteries have gone from a chronic concern to nothing I ever worry about anymore. Best $500 I have spent on my RV
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:45 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
From my person experience the change to AGM and a bit more Amps made a difference in overnights

How much for sure it was hard to say as the FLA were 4 years old and had been abused

My AGM's sure hold voltage better when stored so that was a significant benifit as well

My experience as well. My OEM FLA were about 15 months old and working as designed and under warranty when I just gave up and bout the AGMs. Really mad at myself for not buying the AGMs sooner. The voltage power (retention of AH) is just one of the many advantages
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-02-2021, 12:58 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Full house battery group 31 FLA 9 months old. Turned on 3k inverter with one TV one for 10 minutes..batteries dropped to 11.8. Turned off TV, & inverter back to 12.2.

Started generator to watch TV.

Would AGM really provide more juice?

You should NEVER need your generator to watch TV.

I can turn on 3 TVs and go through the night, of course I never need to, but I could.

Your batteries are only getting worse because you are constantly under 12.2 vdc. I could easily tell you to go buy two new batteries, but that does not mean you don't have some other issue that is drawing or damaging your batteries.

But if you do buy new AGMs, verify your inverter has a intelligent charging program, and NEVER let the AGMs go below 12.4vdc which is 50% SOC. I cut mine off at 12.5vdc which I admit is overkill, but because I don't need all of the available capacity, I can do it.