Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2021, 07:16 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Im not trying to be rude or insensitive, but apparently you know absolutely nothing about servicing a vehicle judging from the several posts you currently have posted! I applaud you for giving it a try, but I'd find someone that knows what's what under your hood to help you out a couple times before you accidentally make a costly mistake.
It may have been my fault...
Post # 4

Old 04-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I would suggest you do a google search and find a local trade school that teaches auto shop. Call the person in charge and ask them if they could run you thru the basics of servicing an automobile. It will probably save you some cash before you run into your first shady mechanic that want to buy his kid the new GI Joe with the kung fu grip.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #23

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
In my manual.... UNDER HOOD OVERVIEW is helpful
Old 05-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #24

Model: Freedom Elite FE22
State: Oregon
THOR #19474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I would suggest you do a google search and find a local trade school that teaches auto shop. Call the person in charge and ask them if they could run you thru the basics of servicing an automobile. It will probably save you some cash before you run into your first shady mechanic that want to buy his kid the new GI Joe with the kung fu grip.

In particular, be careful around the brake fluid until you feel confident in your knowledge and experience. The brake system is very sensitive, incredibly important and its care is somewhat complex. There are different DOT (Department of Transportation Standards), different bases for the fluid: alcohol, silicon and even mineral oil (rare). Brake fluid is easily contaminated. It is hygroscopic, and even exposure to the air will cause it to absorb moisture, which renders it dysfunctional under high stress (heat). In fact, the wisdom is that, once opened, you should not store a can of brake fluid for future use, except in the immediate future.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
thanks everyone great advice. i will have my first service done professionally
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I found this does not match 100% but will use and update later
I also tried to check level of the brake fluid but visually unable to determine. Access to fill up reservoir is another issue-very limited space. In addition, I'm having difficulty locating the engine oil filler cap and the automatic transmission fluid check. Again, locating these items are very difficult let alone trying to put more fluid inside. They appear to be located in the top left section of the under hood overview diagram.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:56 PM   #27

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtravel View Post
I also tried to check level of the brake fluid but visually unable to determine. Access to fill up reservoir is another issue-very limited space. In addition, I'm having difficulty locating the engine oil filler cap and the automatic transmission fluid check. Again, locating these items are very difficult let alone trying to put more fluid inside. They appear to be located in the top left section of the under hood overview diagram.
Go to a professional.
If you can't locate them you probably can't do much once you do locate them.

I understand the
'I want to do it myself so I know it's done right' thing.

Experts get to say that.

Something I often tell Craftsmen:
'I am smart enough to do this job myself, which makes me smart enough to have you do it instead'.

Make life easy and have someone else do it.

Except for my big block Chevy(notorious oil users along with rotary mazda and some Subaru) I've NEVER added mechanical fluids to a modern car as intermittent maintenance.
They don't, to any pertinent value, use oil, they don't lose coolant, they don't eat brake fluid, the transmission on some don't even have dipsticks anymore.

Look at this youtube channel:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ng-Mgin_7eFNEb

They show 300 instances of washerfluid in the trans fill, brake fluid in the dipstick, coolant in the oil fill.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The general conses is change the brake fluid every 4 to 5 years in a modern sealed system. For all my old cars, I replace the DOT4 fluid every two years as they have open systems. It gets really expensive if your brake fluid goes acid. Most of your moving brake system parts are aluminum and corrodes easily. A new anti lock Ford system is in the range of $500 plus labor. Ford says for RVs 2 years or 30,000 miles which ever comes first, as I remember (It is in the owners manual).

For me, I had the brake fluid, engine coolant and the serpentine belt replaced in the Hurricane at my Ford Truck dealer last fall.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote