Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2024, 08:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.5
State: Louisiana
THOR #31821
Flat tow setup pre-purchase, what am I missing?

Afternoon everyone!

Just bought a 2024 Wrangler 4-door Sport S hardtop to tow behind the 2023 Palazzo 33.5. Here's what I am looking at for the towing setup altogether, am I missing anything? Any wrong choices?

Roadmaster baseplate 521453-5

Roadmaster Nighthawk 676 towbar

Demco Air Force One braking system -> https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...co/DM26VR.html

Set of safety cables

The Jeep is getting the Mopar RV harness installed, what else am I missing? What would be better, what won't fit, etc?

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-18-2024, 12:41 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
What is the Mopar RV Harness?
I am aware that Jeep Cherokees, prior to model year 2108, required a harness to keep the power steering energized to prevent Death Wobble.
Does the 2024 Wrangler require the same type a factory harness?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:56 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I am aware that Jeep Cherokees, prior to model year 2108, required a harness to keep the power steering energized to prevent Death Wobble.
We have a 2021 Grand Cherokee and no $2500 harness. Towing with zero issues. I actually had an email from Jeep that the harness did nothing for the wobble.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:14 AM   #4

THOR #31821
This is what it says in the manual:

Wiring harness enables towing of a vehicle behind an RV. It operates brake lights, turn signals, running lights and license lamp. Fits Jeep Wrangler (JL version) equipped with four-wheel-drive.
This wiring harness connects the vehicle to the towing vehicles 7 way trailer connector. Includes a under hood wiring disconnect and is engineered to work with your vehicle's body computer and operates the taillights
Old 03-18-2024, 02:06 AM   #5

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
We are towing a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I never heard of a Mopar RV harness. Maybe that is something new for the 2024 model? I installed the same Roadmaster Base Plate as yours and the same Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar. I purchased the needed wiring harness kit and diodes from eTrailer and installed it myself with the help of my son. I also purchased a dedicated 12V wiring kit to plug my RVIBrake 3. Also installed a separate wiring to charge my 12V Jeep battery when being pulled. All brake and turn lights function with the RV. Been towing the Jeep for 2 years now without any issues.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:12 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davii View Post
This is what it says in the manual:

Wiring harness enables towing of a vehicle behind an RV. It operates brake lights, turn signals, running lights and license lamp. Fits Jeep Wrangler (JL version) equipped with four-wheel-drive.
This wiring harness connects the vehicle to the towing vehicles 7 way trailer connector. Includes a under hood wiring disconnect and is engineered to work with your vehicle's body computer and operates the taillights
Our 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk is set up with all Roadmaster components, baseplate, Falcon All Terrain towbar & Invisibrake.) Also, the 15267 wiring harness to hook up all the lights on the Jeep. It was installed by the RV dealer that installed our tow set up. IDK how much Mopar is charging for the wiring harness, but the Roadmaster 15267 kit is $150 on Amazoom. Some of the niftier guys on this forum have installed the light harness themselves.
Whoever is installing your tow set up should be able to hook up the light wiring as well.
FYI our Cherokee was 2 months old when the tow set up & wiring was installed and it did not void factory warranty. We've been towing our Cherokee since it was new in 2019.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:19 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I don't know the technical terms, but newer vehicles use the entire vehicles wiring system for computer communications in addition to providing power for lights. So without a special harness you can't just tap into a wire to power brake lights, running lights etc.

...Unlike my legacy 2001 Wrangler TJ which is about as old school as it gets. Just snip and splice away! But that will get you into REAL trouble on newer vehicles... not just Jeeps.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:28 AM   #8

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I don't know the technical terms, but newer vehicles use the entire vehicles wiring system for computer communications in addition to providing power for lights. So without a special harness you can't just tap into a wire to power brake lights, running lights etc.

...Unlike my legacy 2001 Wrangler TJ which is about as old school as it gets. Just snip and splice away! But that will get you into REAL trouble on newer vehicles... not just Jeeps.
roadmaster has all of our lights working no problem. 2012 GC trail hawk. I was concerned when we bought the car but the cost for the dealer was insane. Then Mopar discontinued the part. 20,000 miles of towing and zero issues with lights or wobble.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:54 AM   #9

Model: Tuscany 40ex
THOR #12726
It’s called multiplexing, and yes you can use the harness from e-trailer because they have t harness to each tail light with diodes to prevent the Rv signals from back feeding to jeep, same harness I use on a 2019 wrangler rubicon, also added a charging wire to batteries and use the rear 12v plug to power the brake buddy and all wired into a female 7 pin connector so I have no wires to mess with in not towing, made up a short cable with both males ends from Rv to jeep
Old 03-18-2024, 03:06 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
It’s called multiplexing, and yes you can use the harness from e-trailer because they have t harness to each tail light with diodes to prevent the Rv signals from back feeding to jeep, same harness I use on a 2019 wrangler rubicon, also added a charging wire to batteries and use the rear 12v plug to power the brake buddy and all wired into a female 7 pin connector so I have no wires to mess with in not towing, made up a short cable with both males ends from Rv to jeep
Sounds almost exactly how I wired my TJ... diodes and all. Took a little extra work up front, but now I just hitch up, plug in and go. No brake calibration needed either.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:01 AM   #11

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
How about this custom cable from Curt. It has the diodes built in and you do not need to splice into the vehicle wires:

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58964
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:19 PM   #12

THOR #31821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
How about this custom cable from Curt. It has the diodes built in and you do not need to splice into the vehicle wires:

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58964
This is similar to the Mopar version getting installed on my Jeep, Mopar is a little more expensive but it's a 7 pin connector like the rig and is covered by the factory warranty.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:11 PM   #13

Model: Compass 23te
State: Arizona
THOR #31064
I have used the Curt harness on my last three Jeeps, a 2021 JLUR, a 22 JTM and now a 24 JLUR with no issues.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:50 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
We have a 2021 Grand Cherokee and no $2500 harness. Towing with zero issues. I actually had an email from Jeep that the harness did nothing for the wobble.
Where do you get $2500?

It's $275.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mopar.png
Views:	5
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	45554  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:18 PM   #15

THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Where do you get $2500?

It's $275.
When we bought our jeep, the towing harness at the time it was like $500 and then the dealer wanted another like $1500 to install it. Sounds like after they discontinued, that particular harness and all the labor they charge to run the wire from the harness from the engine compartment to wherever it needed to go that they came up with a different solution.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:21 PM   #16

THOR #31821
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Where do you get $2500?

It's $275.
That's exactly what I paid, $275 for the part and 2hrs labor for install or ~$150.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:25 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
After installation u may want locking pins for your baseplate to towing bar as well as for your towing bar to the rv hitch. I don't know the precise terms but we bought some that were called something like receiver locks for our blue ox setup from Amazon.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:05 PM   #18

State: California
THOR #30798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davii View Post
Afternoon everyone!

Demco Air Force One braking system -> https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Bra...co/DM26VR.html

The Jeep is getting the Mopar RV harness installed, what else am I missing? What would be better, what won't fit, etc?

Thank you in advance!

I have a very similar setup, and I finished doing it myself about a week ago. I was a jet mechanic in the Air Force, so I'm not afraid to grab tools and schematics and do simple stuff, even though I haven't touched an airplane in 30 years.. I needed my 33 year old son to give me a hand with the 200 ft-lb of torque on the faceplate bolts, younger guys won't have that problem.

I can't speak to the Jeep RV wiring harness you are talking about - but that is a really easy job with any universal kit. I setup a 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn to tow behind my Palazzo 35.1, and it is probably quite a bit more difficult than the Jeep Sport, so I'll relay my experience, the Jeep would be easier - simply because there are far fewer systems to work around and it is much smaller:

1.) In my case, the Blue Ox faceplate for the Ram was infinitely easier to install than the Roadmaster one. *This choice will be vehicle-specific! I am guessing the Blue Ox one has a patent on re-using the same frame extensions and holes through it that the Ram recovery hooks were in, so all I did was remove the recovery hooks and install the Blue Ox faceplate (2 pieces, not a single "bar"). The ports are just behind the opening in the Ram bumper where the recovery hooks were, and the Blue Ox interfaces are twist-lock removable, so when we are not towing, it looks very "stock." To avoid patent infringements, the other brands have funky (stupid) implementations. This may vary by the vehicle.

I had started by looking at the Roadmaster, but it required removing the grill, bumper, and proximity sensors (that are in my bumper), and then a lot of verbiage about cutting holes in the bumper to "fit" properly - and just looked like too much work and damage to my high-trim Ram. The Blue Ox was a 30-minute job and re-used everything that was there. The only thing I had to do was use a progressive-step drill bit to ream the frame holes out a tiny bit to get the larger bolts to slip through them. Maybe 60 minutes if someone has to jack the pickup, but the Longhorn I have is equipped with 4-wheel air leveling, so I just lifted the chassis about 3 inches and slid underneath.

Tow bars & such are all about the same—I wouldn't favor one over the other. Look at the installation instructions for each faceplate choice (eTrailer has the manuals online) since that could easily be the bulk of the work—pick the easiest one here.

If you are not doing it yourself, every hour will cost about $150 / hr in the shop, so if it's 30-minute job instead of 4 hours of work removing, reinstalling, and reconnecting sensors, you just saved $450 on the install cost. Some will be easier than others for each vehicle; I'm sure it is a patent thing.

2.) Since I used the Blue Ox, I went with the eTrailer XHD Non-Binding Tow Bar with a 10,5000 lb rating. The Ram weighs about 6k, the tow bar is 10.5k, and the Palazzo hitch is 10k. I have a lot of spare room in the DP's GVWR and GCWR (only clarifying before the Ford chassis people attack me). Yes, the "dealer specs" say a Palazzo has 5k of towing capacity WHEN THE GVWR IS FULLY LOADED. It's only my wife and I on 1-2 week trips, we are always about 8,000 lbs under GVWR. We are nowhere near limits on any of the ratings.

The eTrailer tow bars are made by Demco, and I would highly recommend considering one (from eTrailer) because with their dozens of installation videos online for each component, they even had step-by-step videos for the Gen 4 and Gen 5 Rams and most certainly would have your specific Jeep as well. It also has integrated safety chains routed through it, so I don't have to screw with that or have them dangling separately. Some mounted rods on the side catch the AFO and trailer wiring coils.

*One important thing - most people will use a locking hitch pin to prevent anyone from stealing that $1000 tow bar. MOST OF THESE ARE VERY LIGHTLY-RATED! I found a nice 10,000 lb one on Amazon from Master Lock for about $40.

Here is the one I used. but you can go smaller, I'm sure, with the Wrangler: https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar/etrailer/e94ZR.html

3.) I already had the AFO on the motorhome side, so I only needed the 2nd vehicle kit for the Ram. The motorhome side of Air Force One looked more difficult to do, and I could barely see the thing (lacking a 40,000 lb vehicle lift in my driveway) - and I would never have been able to shimmy under there and do it myself - so I'm sure this is something most people will need to have a service center do for them.

However, since I had the motorhome side, the DEMCO second vehicle kit was about a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1-5 (for decent DIY'er skillsets - if you can't identify a vacuum line under your hood, DO NOT do this at home). There isn't any configuration or adjustment with Air Force One, you just mount it, make sure the cable attachment has about a ½" gap in it, pump the motorhome brakes 3 times and you are good to go forever with it.

eTrailer sells a 2nd vehicle kit from DEMCO, but I didn't find it anywhere else (when I was price-shopping it). If you already have the air nozzle on the back of your Palazzo, this may be all you need; it's about $500 less than the full kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...o/SM99209.html

Again, eTrailer has lots of install videos online, and their phone support is second to none.

4.) Wiring. This was quite a bit more difficult than the other parts for me because I had the HEMI V8 in the engine bay 16 spark plugs and cables on the HEMI, and airlift suspension at all four corners with 4-wheel drive and independent suspension, so "finding" a routing path that avoided any moving parts under the Ram to mount cable anchors to was easier imagined than done. This took me about 3 hours in my case after some trial and error, running short of wire length on the crew cab with the Rambox, etc. Ultimately, it ended up with some splicing in my case, but this would be a piece of cake on the Wrangler.

In short:

Route the 6-wire ribbon cable from the front bumper of the Wrangler to the back bumper. Two of them go to the left turn/brake light, two to the left tail light, two to the right turn & brake light, and two to the right tail (the ground is reused on all of them).

I was also determined to mount the ports in the existing recovery hook inlets, because the Longhorn & Limited are very smooth on the front without any other actual openings - but I ultimately gave up after an hour or so of experimentation and put them underneath the license plate. Wasn't my first choice, but nothing else was going to work. Some of the other Ram trim levels have bigger gaps & openings that could be used. I made a trip to the hardware store, bought a couple of flat construction angle brackets for about $2.00 each, and installed them behind the bottom air dam to firm up the attachment points for those ports.. they are not going anywhere, and I'm unlikely to take the Longhorn offroading anyway, so it's fine in my case, just not the seamless look that I was going for. The only spot to mount the AFO under the hood of a Ram with the HEMI is on top of the fuse box. Not ideal, but that was in the eTrailer video. I spent a half hour looking for a better option, but their suggestion was definitely the best. It's just on there with zipties so if I ever (unlikely) had to do a lot of work in the fuse box behind just cracking it open to swap one out, I can just cut the 4 zip ties and set it aside completely.

The plug on the front has seven pins, the tail/brake/turn takes 6 of them, and the 7th is a 7 amp power supply from the Palazzo, so I added my own power line going up to an echo charger to keep the battery fresh. Not really needed on the Ram since it doesn't need the ignition turned on, but it was there and easy and $20 for the echo charger.

Here is the kit I used, Roadmaster makes a good one. I'm sure there are probably "fitted" ones for your Jeep (which is more common than a half-ton pickup as a toad), but this was about a 1 on the 1-5 scale to do; if not for the routing challenges I had underneath: https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir.../RM-15267.html

Hookup & disconnect for the Ram is about 2 minutes, maybe less if I'm in a hurry. I store the air & trailer cables in the Rambox "toolbox" on the driver side, and the safety chains are integrated in the tow bar. 2 hooks, 2 hitch pins, air line, and trailer cable. Configuring the Ram for towing is also pretty easy - I use a checklist so I don't miss anything, but it is basically just the transfer case in neutral, row it from Reverse to Drive, then back to park, turn it off, and no steering lock on it so it just cruises along just fine back there.

I WILL BE MAKING ONE CHANGE! You may also need to consider - I can't really see the brake light LED in the Palazzo rear view camera - the DEMCO AFO lights a (rather bright) LED on the back of the rear view mirror when the brakes are activated, but between the polarization on the windshield and the shading in the windscreen, it's not really visible through the camera in daylight. I would have to stare at it to notice it. DEMCO makes a wireless indicator for the dashboard in the motorhome, I'll probably add that soon. It's not as urgent for AFO as for example one of the robotic things, because the AFO is such a simple setup, but it is definitely on the list to do soon.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...o/SM99945.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240317_134842.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	45589   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240319_112353.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	45590  

Name:	20240319_112412.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	45591   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240319_112513.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	45592  

Old 03-23-2024, 07:26 PM   #19

State: Arizona
THOR #31268
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I tow a 2021 Wrangler behind our RV without the harness and I have never had an issue at all with wobble. I use wireless brake lights that work great and I just use a small battery powered LED light over the plate when towing at night (gorilla double sided tape to hold it). I rarely tow at night so this is never really an issue. I use an extension cord to plug in the brake to the rear 12V outlet (it does not turn off after a given period of time like the front 12V outlet does). I have never had an issue with battery drain, I just run the Jeep during fuel stops to charge the battery a little. I did not want to mess with the Jeep wiring when started towing because I wasn’t sure how committed I was to having a toad. Having the Jeep is a necessary thing for us now that we have done it but the completely wireless system has worked for us so I haven’t invested the time and money to wire anything to the Jeep.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:23 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwate View Post
After installation u may want locking pins for your baseplate to towing bar as well as for your towing bar to the rv hitch. I don't know the precise terms but we bought some that were called something like receiver locks for our blue ox setup from Amazon.
I've been torn on this. I think if you are going to do locking, maybe only to the coach. That way, in the inadvertent case of a coach fire (often starting in engine), you have a fighting chance to quickly disconnect the jeep at the baseplate without fumbling keys to unlock the pins connect towbar to baseplate.

But, but having the locking pin on the coach side, you can prevent theft of the towbar.