Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Four Winds
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #17
airforceret

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
This is our scale ticket from one of our early trips this year without the trailer hooked up. Adding even a small amount of tongue weight with the trailer will send us over the GVW limit. We travel light so I can only imagine what it will be like for most owners of this unit. We did file with NHTSA expressing our concern about the safety of these on the highways as in all likelihood most if not ALL of them will be overweight. Granted the only difference between an E350 / E450 is (for the most part) sway bars and spring rates, it's the legal aspect that concerned me. What the unit is capable of far exceeds the actual rating but at the end of the day its the rating that will get you in trouble if you're ever in an accident or forced into a scale. And don't let anyone convince you that scales are ONLY for commercial vehicles. They are primarily used for commercial vehicles but I am one that can attest to the fact (twice) that they can require RVs to come into the scale if they feel you are overweight or to inspect your setup when towing or to verify you are noncommercial. Scaling vehicles I own and use is not new to me and this is the first one that we will likely regularly be over the E350 limit yet under the E450 limit. This is what pisses me off about Thor because I put so much effort into researching these RVs and even talked with one of their Reps at the RV Show just DAYS before we put in our order because I have a car trailer and a jeep (and a convertible) that I wanted to tow and to be legal this was the only unit we found we liked (and could afford) that gave us the towing we needed. We sold our Cougar and our Lance to make this purchase. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170712_213725128.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	8266  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum