Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Miramar Owner

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Generator Repair

This is an update on a thread I started some time ago. My generator would not run without a load for more than 5 minutes. All winter I ran it for an hour per month but as soon as I would turn off the space heater it would die and display an error code 14. My RV is a 2016 Miramar.

I took it in to Cummins yesterday and just got a call detailing the problem with an estimate as to the cost of repair. I was hopeful it would be covered under the extended warranty.

Turns out the warmth created by starting it monthly attracted mice. They packed in nesting material all around the fins and throttle linkage. The only way to clean out all the material and free the linkage is to pull the generator and thoroughly clean all the grass and other "stuff" from it.

Total cost of approximately $1,300.00. Warranty doesn't cover issues relating to mice. Lesson learned...don't forget to insert a couple of bags of moth balls in the generator compartment.

Moth balls work great at keeping mice out. I even place them in the battery compartments for the chassis and house and never see mouse droppings since I started doing this. I just never thought of the generator. Man I could buy a lot of moth balls for $1,300.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum