Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #32
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I was thinking of the many E-Series options because today was the scheduled day for 2019 Model Year to start.

Hope they made it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Chnce,
I might have missed this earlier
What is it about the diesels, that causes you to avoid them?
I helped my dad work on diesels when I was young, but they were much simpler back then. I recall one that operated at full load for 2 years straight with only short stops for oil and filter changes. That would be more than 1,000,000 miles if in an RV. But does that matter when average RV gets driven 5,000 per year?

When I studied engineering we covered CI and SI engines equally. There is nothing really wrong with diesels, but lately as gasoline (SI) engines have gotten more reliable and efficient, their diesel (CI) counterparts have gotten less reliable due to all the emissions equipment.

For vehicles that don’t get driven much, diesel payback is poor. They are noisier, and pollute more (now relatively clean compared to old diesels, but at expense of complexity and higher costs).

I just think gasoline fuel is easier to find, and if you need emergency repairs in middle of nowhere, gas is better choice. Diesel is a better choice if driving 100,000 miles a year. Most of us fall in the middle, so it comes down to personal preference.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum