Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
today I performed a test - off-grid, with no alternator, shore, or gen power...

the batteries where at 12.6volts
the inverter was 'off'
12v disconnect was 'off'

A) Load test
- 12v disconnect on, lights now working
- Inverter to 'ON', everything looks normal, Inverter is 'inverting', with little to no load

- I opened the fridge, and the light came on - still inverting, no issues
- I THEN turned the fridge controller up, the compressor came on, the 12v lights flicker in the living room, and the Inverter IMMEDIATELY went OFF - not normal.

- I turned the fridge back off
- I then turned the Inverter back to 'ON', and it went back to inverting
- I opened the fridge and turned the controller up, and the Inverter AGAIN went off
-- but this time, the Inverter also gave a FAULT: Internal NTC Fault, and a red light
-- the manual says that this is an internal temperature spike fault, and to rest the inverter by holding the inverter's button on the unit for over 15 seconds, then it should clear when the inverter is again turned back ON
-- the reset worked, and turning the Inverting back on at the Magnum panel worked fine - the Inverter was now ON again...

B) I decided then to perform a 'minimum' Load test, without a microwave or fridge compressor involved - but more smaller and 'electronic' 120v loads.
- with the inverter still ON, I turned on the main TV - everything continued fine.
- added a table-top fan, fine.
- added the radio, and 120v sound bar and bass box, still works fine, still inverting.
- added another couple of 120v fans, and the rear TV satellite receiver, all still fine.

- now, I decided to add another 'larger' load - a small vacuum. Nope, 12v lights flickered again, and it kicked the inverter OFF...

These two tests seem to identify an issue that I believe is related to the 'amperage' draw for devices that have compressors or similar motors, such as the microwave, fridge, and vacuum. While this 'could' be a fault within the Magnum inverter, I'm also wondering if it 'could' be a result of a failing '12v D.C. cont. coil' - which may be designed to handle the 'surge' of amps when a device is turned on thru the 12v systems, which also leads to the Inverter.
I may be way off on the usage of the 12v dc cont coil, otherwise the WhiteRodgers or Trombetta devices, but it seems plausible that either of these 'failing' could result in them working fine for smaller loads, but not for the spike of larger ones, as the 'flicker', or quick loss of 12v power, may make the inverter think that there is none, causing it to go offline.

I'll be conversing with Magnum tomorrow, to get their feedback and ideas. While I'd rather more easily change out a d.c. coil, it may be one of those Magnum internal issues - not such an easy change out.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum