Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 01:09 AM   #39
Squerly

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Thank you, Chuck and Mary Ann, all good advice and all of which I do. All except for locking the door, I hadn’t thought of that. You see, I’m still getting over the reality of driving 22K down the road from an easy chair with no immediate point of egress!

I’ve got to be honest, locking the only way out was not something that I had considered. But what the hay, if it’s gonna eat me I’m probably not going to get out anyhow, right?

Anyway, last night while sitting at the RV park, I put some thought into the stability problem and decided an alignment issue was not causing it. No way a coach travels for 200 miles and then suddenly has an alignment issue.

After digging through the previous owners’ logs, I found he had installed a Firestone air bag load leveling system, which explained the two switches on the interior side of the coach and the pressure gauge with two needles. (Please remember that nobody gave me much instruction on this coach. It was pretty much a “here; it’s yours, have fun” sale.)

So, after some Google searching and a little common sense, I headed out this morning with a closely leveled RV. And after playing with the air controllers for the next hour, I had a great riding coach. Life is good…

If your paying attention, you have to ask, “Why did the air levelers get so far out of whack so suddenly?” Well, I must attribute that to a sudden hard braking situation I made when I realized I was going to miss the turn I needed to make on I-95. The transfer of that much weight to the front must have stressed the bladders, and I think the levelers bled off some pressure.

Yep, I made the turn, but my wife (following me in our chase car) didn’t. So, as she went down I-95 to turn around at the next exit, I slowed to 55 and waited for her to catch up. And when she did, 30 minutes later, I sped up and found the coach was unstable.

So today, we had 400 miles to go, and the coach was running like a top. It’s Sunday, and hitting Atlanta on Monday wasn’t something I wanted to do. So, we made a run for it, and 8 hours later we’re sitting here at home.

Wow, what a trip! I hate to admit it, but I’m not sure I want to get back in that thing for a while. :-)

At a little over 8 MPG, I got what I consider to be good mileage. I’m was only expecting around 6, so I’m big-time happy with 8 mpg.

So again, thank you, everyone, for your advise, suggestion and your help over the last week. I felt like I had friends helping me along every step of the way!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum