Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #28
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
.....cut....

In the final analysis is it really worth concern when there are many miles left in our unit?
I’m not saying to trade motorhomes because it’s got a V10.

My current one has just over 191,000 miles, albeit in smaller and lighter van, so I’m not refering to durability in any way. In truck applications these V10s will last twice as long as most motorhomes will ever travel before their bodies and interior fall apart or rot. But durability wasn’t the question.

Long stroke, V10 lack of balance, peak power at about 4,000 RPMs, etc. all beg to keep RPMs low. This engine “does not like to REV”.

To me, an engine that likes to rev sounds like it’s got a growl as RPMs climb asking to be pushed harder. The V10 always sounds like it’s begging the driver to take it easy. There is a reason it’s being retired. The V10 was a serious compromise Ford made to save money versus designing a new engine for HD trucks. They took a very small block V8 and stroke it as much as possible to make the 5.4L V8, and since that wasn’t enough, they added 2 more cylinders that threw balance out of whack.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum