Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #34
Muggs

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Please explain how 305 or 320 HP out of 6.8 liters is “good power”.

That’s less than 50 HP per liter which is incredibly low at any RPM — on top or otherwise.
I think what Bob means is that the v-10 uses its entire operational range of RPM. From 600 idle all the way to 5200 redline to meet requirements. I was passing diesels going toward Asheville N.C. last summer humming along at 4000 to 4500 RPM.

HP/litre is a good measure of level of tuning and usually also indicates how close to edge of envelope a combination is. The V-10 at 50 HP/litre beats my trailer generator at 30 HP/litre. My SBC in racecar is around 85 HP/litre. Many modern high strung engines can produce 100 HP/litre. Like I said earlier, the V-10 is in neighborhood of a lawn mower engine. Constant dependable run without compromising longevity or basic effectiveness across a wide range of loads. I would expect the V-8 with 10 speed to be an improvement but to what degree? I would not consider a new release a safe purchase until out for sometime. Ford has their share of teething problems with new platforms.

It will be interesting to see how the v-8/10 speed does but it may not match cutting edge technology of a Corvette or Mustang. Its purpose and attractiveness is not same as a sports car.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum