Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #36
Miramar Owner

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 500 View Post
Ok, what I want to know, in simple English so my pea brain can handle it, Does premium increase fuel mileage or not?
I own a gas station, which doesn't make me an expert, but I have been in the business for over 40 years, so I do know a little. As a general rule, the higher the octane, the more power...the more power, the lower the MPG. So basically premium will generate slightly more power and will reduce your MPG slightly. The increase in power as well as the decrease in MPG will be negligible so it is not likely worth the extra cost.

As for 85 octane, that is only available at high altitudes and should be fine to use if you plan to stay at higher altitudes. If you're just passing through the mountains don't fill with 85 octane.

I had a 91 Holiday Rambler and premium made a significant improvement in power but I also noticed the decline in MPG. I think the days of NEEDING premium in most any vehicle (unless specified) are pretty much over.

Almost all the premium I sell now is for motorcycles or some old guy (before you jump on me I'm 68) that remembers the old days.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum