Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
dkwoode

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: Arizona
THOR #17423
Wow, thanks for the well-informed responses. The answers provided fit what I was thinking, but my wife brought out the valid point of, "Why would they put an induction cooktop in that requires shore power or generator usage, when a propane stove would offer more flexibility?" And perhaps Thor has rethought their strategy (if any) in that the 2020 Challenger has both gas and induction cooktops side by side. When we purchased the RV, I vacillated as to the benefits of a residential fridge vs RV fridge for boondocking, but hadn't thought about the cooktop. We just joined Harvest Host, and plan on doing more boondocking than in the past with our prior RV, a 2010 Georgetown with an RV fridge and propane stove. I guess I didn't know how good I had it.
When we purchased our rig I asked our dealer (which also stores our RV), why are RV manufacturers complicating matters by using Residential fridges, and one of the answers we got was that a residential fridge requires you to USE your generator more often, which makes them less problematic in the long run. They said there was a problem in the industry with used RVs being traded in with under used generators that were more problematic.
So I guess our mantra will be, "screw global warming, I need my icemaker!"

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum