Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 01:05 AM   #59
Lottomunch

Brand: Jayco
State: California
THOR #17859
Pinging with 6000 lb travel trailer and 2/3 throttle

Hello. First post in here but I've been reading for sometime. Let me tell you, I've been a fan of various forums for the last 20 years and this thread is one of my top 3. It's a flipping goldmine. Thank you GMTech for sharing your knowledge.

I've read it at least 3 times and have two questions.

Based on the first post you made a statement that it's extremely hard to hear this engine knock. I don't necessarily hear a knock but in my 2000 Excursion I hear this real quiet rolling ping while I'm climbing big freeway speed hills with my two loads (4500 flatbed trailer and 6000 lb travel trailer). THIS SOUND DRIVES ME CRAZY and messes with my head making me drive slower than I should have to. If it's not a knock could it be pinging? (I always thought they were similar/same).
2. I've regeared the thing and am super happy to hear the rpm numbers you all discuss in the thread. As luck would have it I'm spot on. On the flats at 60 mph I tow in OD (fourth gear) at 2400 rpm gear. While climbing a huge hill at 60 mph I'm in third gear, 3500 rpm, and at 2/3 throttle. I LOVE the fact that I'm not full throttle and at optimal torque for the motor but I think the problem is that I'm never full throttle so I NEVER get into power enrichment. Would a tune that simply moving the power enrichment trigger down to say 50% and 10 seconds might solve my problem?

O by the way.....it seems to ping alot on 87 and while significantly less on 91 octane it's till there.

Am I on track?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum