Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 12:16 AM   #34
galOnTheGo

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
thanks again for your thoughts. I like the upgrade to better batteries idea that an IC will handle the different types batteries where the stock converter may not. all things considered, I went with a renogy 3000w ic. I installed it, and found 2 things I was surprised about, didn't find any mention of anywhere. is it just me, or is this common knowledge that silly me just didn't know about IC's?
1) you must have the battery connected to it or it will not turn on! now you ask, why wouldnt you connect the battery silly? well, how about I remover the battery to ...(fill in your reason here), and still want to use the AC shore power...which brings me to item 2 -
2) the ac shore power doesn't just pass through, the IC MUST be turned ON to use shore power. this is when the input to the IC is your main line, the shore power line from the generator shore power switch box. So do not connect the shore power line to the IC, just put some sub-circuit on the IC you might suggest, but that seems pointless to me. I want the entire rv on IC, ACKNOWLEDGING that I can not run everything on 3000w.
item 3 about the IC, when connected to shore power, the IC turned on, it charges the battery, great. annoyance with this is that when the battery is being charged, the IC fan is running, which is, not loud, but certainly audible. I installed the IC under the bed, so trying to sleep with the fan running doesn't make me happy. so just turn IC off when I go to sleep? no. there must be a better way. and I imagined it! wire the ic such that I can bypass it when connected to shore with the flip of a switch! I spent yesterday designing the circuit, and today wiring it. great news, IT WORKS!
additionally, I wired the solar as well. it was rather easy, especially when compared to the IC installation. and, everything is working well together! the solar is feeding into the system, the IC is running powering the rv when both connected to shore and not connected and turned on, and when connected to shore and IC turned off.
I thank you all VERY MUCH for your thoughts and opinions in guiding me through this. I am very happy with the result. the IC and the solar charge controller (SCC) are out of sight, only needed to drill one small hole to feed the solar cables from the roof to SCC, that hole in the compartment where the water heater resides. I also added 3 power monitors to display battery charge and discharge, and solar charge.
You may ask, WHY did I do it the way I did. my best response, it is who I am.
Thanks again.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum