Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 04:53 AM   #21
Dilley Dilley

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
On an RV when brakes are used excessively going downhill they get hot and hot brakes may fail over time. Engine braking can be your best friend. Unfortunately with the V10 high revs and engine roar are a side effect of engine braking, however, the V10 can handle the high revs.

The other thing to consider when descending hills is cruise control. Cruise will downshift as necessary to maintain speed. Tow haul will also downshift with a tap of the breaks.
Agreed on the value of engine braking over wheel braking to control downhill speeds. Especially with rigs that weigh as much as these Motorhomes. The kind of RPM's that occur on downhills in the proper gear with Tow/Haul on are not going to have an adverse affect on the Triton V10. The driver and passenger may not like the noise that 4000 - 4500 RPM will cause in the cab but that short term noise is way better than potentially loosing your braking ability. Our MH has the 6 speed auto which is great when cruising down the highway. However, when I drive down steep grades I will downshift into 4th gear and leave Tow/Haul engaged. At the top of the grade I will tap the brakes and then try to maintain a safe speed at around 55-60 MPH as we go downhill. To maintain that speed you might have to intermittently apply the brakes for short distances. We have a decent grade near our home and I drive down it in 4th gear at 55 mph and when we come home I drive up it in 4th gear at 55 mph. The rule of thumb with respect to gear selection on grades was taught to me when I was a young Firefighter driving Fire Equipment. Nowadays and for the past 20 years or so our fire equipment have been equipped with magnetic retarders on the driveshaft so that the brakes can be saved from overheating. Now that would be nice to have those retarders on our Motorhomes.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum