Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #26
Dilley Dilley

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
Another very important factor with regards to braking is the distance that it takes to stop the vehicle. There are several factors that enter into this distance, reaction time, vehicle speed, vehicle weight, vehicle braking system, etc. I just always like to plan on being in the best position to be able to react to traffic slowing, accidents, disabled vehicles, or poor drivers on the road ahead. Being able to stop to avoid having an accident is important. If something is predictable, it's also preventable. I know that it's going to require extra distance to stop our Motorhome when going downhill especially. I drive like there is a traffic jam ahead and I'm going to have to slow down or stop to avoid piling up into it. When it comes to stopping a moving vehicle, I can't think of anything more important for your safety and the safety of others. Using the proper gear on a vehicle, especially a Motorhome, increases your ability to safely control or stop that vehicle.
I enjoy driving our Motorhome out on the flat open highway in 6th gear at 70+ mph when there is plenty of distance and time to stop if needed. But even on flat highways, if traffic gets congested, distance between vehicles gets shorter, drivers are changing lanes excessively, I'm going to shift our Motorhome transmission into 4th gear for better control of the speed. With our 6-speed transmission I find that in 4th gear with Tow/Haul engaged works well on congested highway driving and surface streets. That way you're not potentially coasting when you take your foot off the accelerator prior to braking. You will get near immediate slowing by just taking your foot off the accelerator if you drive in the lower gear with Tow/Haul engaged. Also, in 4th gear on the highway the rpm's and noise are tolerable up to 55 mph in my experience. Stay safe.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum