Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Leveling system
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #19
JimC

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
I got Bigfoot installed

I bought a set of four 4-step leveling ramps from Harbor Freight when we first got our new Thor 24ft Class C. The ramps did an adequate and fairly simple job of leveling the coach when needed. However, one of the early things we noticed was the rock and roll of the cabin from walking around without levelers/stabilizers. Our prior 31ft Winnebago Class C had a set of Bigfoot levelers. We were spoiled.
I bought a set of Bigfoot Automatic levelers from RVUpgrades for $3100. At first my intentions were to install them myself on the Chevy Express 4500 chassis unit by bolting them on. Although I could have bolted the rear cylinders, the frame where the front ones needed to be is boxed. I bit the bullet and had the cylinder mounts welded on. It cost $800 at a truck maintenance dealer to install the cylinders, punp, wiring, & hydraulic lines. I permanently installed the module and control panel myself. The two local places where I was able to get estimates were both around $1800 for a complete install.
In short, the expense is well worth it. On our last trip, we encountered some rough storms while on a level pad. I had lowered the cylinders when we got there. The coach was rock solid in torrential rains and gusting winds to 40mph.
At home, our driveway is so steep that I need >two 2x10 blocks under each of the rear two cylinders. When i was running some wiring under the coach to install an Inverter, I just used the levelers to raise it so I could get my fat tummy under the coach. If I ever had a flat, I could lift the wheel with the levelers too. I'm a fan
BTW, Bigfoot has a wonderful 24/7 Tech Support Rep that helped me both with the Winnie and many times while installing the new system in the Chevy.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum