Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
We're a l m o s t on the same page after all. I want what you want. Wifi internet. I just want it a lot more and maybe able to get it further away.

If I can't get it then I have to use the cell date Lte I purchase and that will be a plan B. I will have two sims from different carries and even the plan B has a plan B.

The reason I'm adding that expensive router is that is will bond the wifi and cell and provide whatever is available as needed.

In order just can't use lame excuses for not being able to WFH and do conferences etc. I want things to be seamless and reliable. So if the wifi and 2 $40mth plans gets me the reliability and bandwidth I need then so be it.

What part of Texas are you out of? I romped all over Texas and went to college in Texas, so if I get tired I sound a bit tahrd and it comes through in my accent.

The concern above in RED is a goal I by chance happened into. We keep our RV at home and the Extender is in the RV. It works perfect. In fact I have faster wireless speeds and better connections per my Roku boxes outside than those in the house upstairs wirelessly connected to router in house.

I not only have WFH every day since March, but I use the RV as my home office. My wife uses the home home office. Went on for months with no issue. About a month ago Spectrum service went out. ( I am in Dallas area) No knock on Spectrum internet as they have been wonderful but that day we had no service period. I do Google hangouts / Zoom meetings all day so I was shut down and desperate. I then went to my android phone and started working emails. For kicks I was going to try to tether my phone to my laptop. As soon as I plug in my USB my wonderful Samsung asked if I wanted to create a HotSpot I was like sure. Stunned to see a actual wifi SSID, I connected not only my laptop and roku to it, stunned that all that work with no issues I went a step further and connected my Nighthawk extender to it and it broadcasted the signals throughout the RV. I was able to watch TV and continue all my video conferencing. Spectrum came back on about 6 hours later, but I have powerful new capability that I didn't even know I had.

As far as distance goes. Before I bought the Nighthawk I was about to buy this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-WiFi-C...ty!75007!US!-1

I could get no one to confirm the distance so I figure I would just see what the least expensive option would do first. I may eventually buy one for kicks to have but it involves a lot more setup and likely meant to be be permanent? I didn't want to have to fool with mounting an antenna on my RV.

Thus far, distance has not been a problem for anywhere that we have been where free wifi was offered to us legally that we could not get. In one case I can think of in Midland Texas at my son's apt complex we could not reach his wifi, they made us move the RV as we got closer to reach it So we moved back to the back and I went to my phone.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum