Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I made my own spare tire carrier (Axis - E450)

I been looking around on line for something I could bolt up to my Axis to hold my spare tire but I could not find anything that I really liked.

Well after I had a Blow Out in May I been trying to figure out how to do it myself. I also purchased a TMPS (I should have had one years ago! Had to wait 4.5 hours for roadside on a SUN night ).

I did call around a few local places (Shops/welder etc) but either they were booked out for 4 / 6 weeks or wanted way to much money for what I needed.

So while looking on Amazon for HD metal that I thought would be easy to work with at home and I came across 5 foot long 12 gauge "Uni Struts". After some research I found that one of them (4 foot section) had a weight compacity over 1700# (I need 43 inches for my application with a 75 # tire - so Im safe ).

Plus they had some HD brackets that I thought might work for me. I already purchased a cheap Ford tire hoist about a month ago while I was in the planning stages.

I wanted the highest clearance under the tire without touching the bottom of the RV floor.

Im very please with the results. All in im around $195 ...that includes several nuts/bolts/washer from HD. I used grade 8 bolts for part of them (see zinc color bolts in picture) and reg duty bolts on the rest of them that I thought would have less stress etc. But have the statifaction of doing something myself is priceless.

Right now Im using a 12 inch long socket extention with my cordless impact and it works great. But im also looking for some linkage to bolt up to make it more complete.

I really like the fact you cannot see the tire hang down at all when looking from the sides of the RV. You have to craw under it to see anything.

What do you guys think? Should I put a cable lock on it? You Cannot lower it without tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5977.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	24598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5985.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	24599  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5987.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	24600  
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum