Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
2020 Magnitude Structural Integrity Issue

We really have loved just about everything with our 2020 Magnitude SV34.... even after several issues. Many of the issues were small with a few being more involved. The floor plan works great for us and the F-550 is fantastic.

I had the coach at the dealer for 5 weeks dealing with a recall and a few warranty issues while my wife was recovering from some surgery. We got the coach back last week and left for a long weekend. Then this morning while breaking camp, I found something concerning.

There is a molding on each side of the coach where the Cab-Over connects to the main body walls. I just happened to look up before putting in the slide and retracting the levelers and saw that the Cab-Over had pulled away from the molding covering the seam where the Cab-Over is joined to the outer wall. There was what looked like a screw hole visible and also a large gap where the Cab-Over was mated to the F-550 roof.

After I put in the slide and retracted the levelers I looked at it again and the Cab-Over was back in place and covered by the molding.

When I got home, I started the Auto Level and I could watch the Cab-Over move away from the molding again. When I retracted the levelers, everything went back to normal. This was repeatable.

I took a video and several pictures to send to Thor of what was going on.

It became clear that the body is flexing while being leveled and causing the movement at the Cab-Over seam with the side wall. There is no movement like this on the passenger side but I am seeing what looks to be a screw head trying to push through the molding on that side.

My camping spot this weekend was pretty level and not putting any undue stress on the coach. My driveway is also very level so this is happening on fairly level ground during the leveling process.

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about....

The first picture is prior to leveling while the second and third picture are the same spot after leveling. The forth picture is from the passenger side. The last picture is showing how level my driveway is when this was going on.

I left vmail for Thor this afternoon and I also sent the pictures and video to the people I dealt with at the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa that I have worked with in the past.

I am obviously concerned about this leading to eventual water intrusion.... but more importantly I am concerned about the structural integrity of the Cab-Over and how it is attached. This can only get worse over time.

If the frame is flexing enough during the leveling process that it is causing the body to flex and the Cab-Over to move at the seam, I'm not even sure how they would fix it. Even if they fix it, the question will be will it last?

I am also concerned that if the body flexing is causing this problem, what will it mean for the longevity of the full wall slide-out?

I have come to expect issues with RV's and I typically take them in stride and many times I deal with them myself and move on. I have to admit this one has me very worried. I've stuck with Thor because of their customer service so we will see what they do about this iss but now I am wondering if the coach is going to hold up for long trips out west and to Alaska we have been planning for the next couple years.

I'm starting to think I should have went with a higher end Super C like a Dynamax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab-Over_Drivers-Side_Before-Level;.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	25032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab-Over_Driver-Side_After-Leveling1_KEE7911_Wappler.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	25033  

Name:	Cab-Over_Drivers-Side_After-Leveling2_KEE7911_Wappler.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	25034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab-Over_Passenger-Side_KEE7911_Wappler.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	25035  

Name:	Full-Picture_Level_KEE7911_Wappler.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	25036  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum