Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruncher View Post
Didn’t know where to post this..
I’m going to be new to the RV world.. I’m taking delivery in Nov ‘20. I feel like I’m a sucker for extended warranties. I always go for them and seems that it never works out by the time I have to use them. After reading about some experiences in these forums, I feel like I’m definitely going to experience some sort of problems. I know my rv comes with a 1 yr warranty.. but do you all get the extended warranties? The tire and rim warranty? Roadside sounds important, is it? What do you all recommend?
Your instinct is correct, but in the end game your peace of mind should win.

As a general rule I never purchase any kind of 3rd party extended warranty. PERIOD. The exclusions on 3rd Party ESPs are mind boggling. If you could extend the Mfg Warranty that may be a different story.

In our case.
#1 Roadside Assistance is mandatory, but if comes free for 1st year from Mfg (Winnebago). Additionally it is included with my insurance, I could save any money by taking it off the policy so it is in. I am covered two ways here. I also bought Good Sam membership with intent to by their Roadside Assistance but I did not need to. If you don't have Roadside Assistance with above two Options, you cannot go wrong with Good Sam.

#2 It would have cost me $7,000 to by the ESP plan we were offered. I declined opf course. In my book I have $7k to spend on any repairs that may be needed. That is about $1,400 / year. I am approaching 1 year and thus far (knock on wood) NOTHING I have had to be serviced would have been covered by the ESP. Conversely everything I needed service was covered by Mfg Warranty. So effectively, I now have $1,750 / year available for repairs that may be needed. A lot of the parts are covered by Mfg warranty anyway. i.e. My Generator has 3 year warranty regardless to what ESP I may decide to buy.

Having said that, having a ESP is better than not having one, so the real issue is how much are you willing to pay for it? IMO ( and it is only an opinion) I would pay for one if it was about half of what they normally ask. i.e. I would have paid $3,500 for 5 years on my coach. That is $700/year.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum