Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 07:32 PM   #43
Richardg

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #17167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
A 30-foot Class B+ or C can’t be built on a Transit or Sprinter, but Transit and Sprinter motorhome sizes could be built on E-Series. Manufacturers choose not to. That’s what I find strange.

As an example only, Compass- and Gemini-size B+ motorhomes were once built on E-Series, but have switched to Transit. I suppose availability of Diesel engine made a case for Transit initially so they could get 15~18 MPG, but now that they are gasoline, fuel economy can’t be that different if motorhome is similar in size. No doubt Transit is newer and more modern, but is it that much better that it has replaced E-Series when GVWR permits it?

So, why have manufacturers essentially replaced all smaller E-Series motorhomes with Transit and Sprinter? Currently, the smallest B+ I could find built on E-Series is too large for a Sprinter, so manufacturers seem to be sticking with E-Series only when they have no other choice.
Coach House, Phoenix Cruiser and Lazy Daze build very small B+/C rigs on E450 chassis. New chassis is quieter and has a smaller dog house. Rigs with slides and other weight hogs( like heavy wood cabinets!) would be better served by this chassis.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum