Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 03:58 AM   #9
brianh442

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I don't have an inverter (have a Vegas) and I am a bit ignorant about its operation but I have a question. Why operate the inverter when you are running the generator? Is there a converter (with a charging circuit to charge the house batteries) or does the inverter charge the batteries? I ask because if there is a converter to convert the AC provided by the generator to DC for system operation and charging the house batteries?

It seems counter intuitive to use an inverter to invert DC power into AC when the generator is operating and providing AC current.

Pardon my ignorance about inverters -- but inquisitive minds would like to know.
If you are dry camping, the inverter allows you to power your fridge with AC power, if the fridge has been running for at least a day and it and its content are good and cold, the fridge will not cycle on as much. Therefore the inverter through the batteries can power the fridge for up to 3 hours, depending on the quality of your batteries. Using the Magnum auto start, once the volts reach 11 volts, the auto start will turn the Genny on. At this point, the Genny will begin powering the fridge and through the converter/charger will start recharging the depleted batteries.

I have my auto start set to run for 2 hours, after two hours, the Genny will shutdown and the inverter takes over powering the fridge. This cycle will continue as long as there is enough fuel in the tank to run the Genny.

I find this useful if we stop while traveling, we stopped for about 4 hours taking a tour. I didn't want to leave the Genny running for 4 hrs. I left the inverter on, with the auto start enabled. The Genny came on when the volts dropped and it ran for 2 hours and shut down. I had annotated the hours on the gen before we left. It worked as advertised!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum